Old 12 August 2008, 08:20   #11

Length: 6m +
Thanks Ian

Looks like RibEye may be a good option.. I've had a chat with them and they look promising...

Old 12 August 2008, 08:21   #12

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Have you considered a Ribeye? An upstanding member of this forum considers them superior to an Osprey.

Old 12 August 2008, 08:27   #13

Town: Germany/Texas
Boat name: wicked weasel
Make: 3.6m Metzeler Maya S
Length: 3m +
Engine: 6hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
You could/might also want to check: http://www.ribs4sale.com/

They have 150+ RIBS listed for sale now. Some used, some new.
Old 12 August 2008, 09:07   #14

Town: Worcester
Make: Northcraft
Engine: 115hp Yam 4 stroke
MMSI: 235063097
Hi BritBoater

Your plan costings do not include a console and you will probably end up fitting an a-frame (because they look good and you need something to hang lights and aerials from!). I think you will be surprised how the price starts mounting up There are a number of manufacturers that will supply hulls and tubes to do a self-build. People have their favourites and I am sure there will be lots of suggestions for you from RIBnet members. For seats and consoles (or just for ideas) you might consider Outhill (http://www.outhill.com) ...You could argue that their products are not up to heavy offshore use but they are fine for regular cruising, nicely styled and finished and you can always add more strength if needed.

Most UK boats are quite traditional in their layout with jockey seats behind a centre console and not a huge amount of space up front. If lots of storage and a foreword sunbathing area are really important to you you probably need a fairly large boat or a more continental style interior. The trouble with many of the continental RIBS is price or less seaworthy hulls, or both! One exception I know of, because I considered buying one last year, is Selva (http://www.selvamarine.com/product_l...ma&f=evolution). Their RIBs are actually re-badged Predators built by Ital Boats (Italian) and they have good hulls and very nice build quality. Loads of internal storage and huge sunpad. The boats are sold complete with engines, the engines being re-badged Yamaha's. Very competitively priced packages, but I know they are not to everyones taste. The main thing that put me off was the bolster style helm seating; I prefer jockey seats in rough conditions. Well just something else to throw into the pot.

Hope it all goes well whatever options you decide on.
Old 12 August 2008, 09:20   #15

TrickDog - Wow! Those look pretty perfect. Struggling on a UK distributor though... anyone know of one or do I need to call the shippers?!
Old 12 August 2008, 09:32   #16

Town: Worcester
Make: Northcraft
Engine: 115hp Yam 4 stroke
MMSI: 235063097
Selva's UK number is 01202 706454. I looked at one of the boats at a dealer in Lymington, but I have lost their number. Selva will no doubt have some dood deals on at the Southampron boat show next month, which is where I first came accross them.

As I said, these are re-badged Predators. Predators are sold by MRL (http://www.mrl-uk.com/) and you can find some reviews on their site. Also there is a Predator video review on here: http://www.ribevents.com/ribtv/.

By the way, I have no connection with Selva! I just think they are offering good boats at a very competive price.
Old 12 August 2008, 09:34   #17

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
Dear BritBoater,

A warm and severe welcome to Ribnet!!!

I can heartiy recommend the Ribeye! Fine boats indeed.

Your alternative idea of building a custom RIB is indeed laudable, but beware. When you come to sell, the resale value will be consdiderably lower than if you had purchased a factory built craft, however well you may have built it.

Go the Ribeye route, you won't be dissapointed
Old 12 August 2008, 10:32   #18
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cambs/Northants
Length: no boat
Hi

One route is to try as many different makes models as possible get a feel for what youíre looking for and at the same time the things youíre not.

What area are you based in as I'm sure lots of people on here would take you for a spin to give you a feel for their make/type of rib and help to build your knowledge base.

As to self build or not? it's ok for some and not others, Iím sure some people get almost as much pleasure from building/fitting out as they do using the finished rib plus you can always have it surveyed and valued at the end.

Jim
Old 12 August 2008, 11:01   #19

Still keen on self-build but from a few chats with suppliers I could also easily be tempted to buy a completed RIB - depends if I can find one that matches my needs.

I'm going to head off to Southampton boat show and crawl around as many as I possibly can and chat to as many people as will are willing to give me the time of day.

I already know the guys at RIB-X, RibEye and RibQuest through work but plan to spread my wings and will certainly make for Humber and Osprey as there's tons of good feedback on here for them...

Also v keen on these Selva/Predators.... Might be worth a drive down south (I'm Cheshire based with the majority of boating done on the Menai Straits between Anglesey and the mainland).

Thanks again guys - any more hints, tips, suggestions etc for a total RIB newbie please fire them my way...

Cheers!
Old 12 August 2008, 12:42   #20

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw View Post
Dear BritBoater,

A warm and severe welcome to Ribnet!!!

I can heartiy recommend the Ribeye! Fine boats indeed.

Your alternative idea of building a custom RIB is indeed laudable, but beware. When you come to sell, the resale value will be consdiderably lower than if you had purchased a factory built craft, however well you may have built it.

Go the Ribeye route, you won't be dissapointed
Whoa! This isn't funny or fair. Britboater has come to this site for a bit of guidance with his first rib purchase, but Timw insists on persuing his own personal agenda of running down 'custom' (Osprey) ribs whilst thinly disguising it as 'advice'.
By all means 'big-up' Ribeye, as it's the only manufacturer that you have any experience of, but leave out the digs.
Ribnet needs some Ribeye support for purposes of balance and your it, the other 5862 of us will no doubt support whatever brands we own.

To say that 'custom' built ribs have lower residuals than factory built boats is utter rubbish, but Twim knows that. My Osprey and ALL others that I know of, are put together with the very, very best of componants unlike most factory built boats. Us owners spend many hours sourcing the parts that are of the highest quality and suitability regardless of cost. The 'build' as you call it, is no more than assembling parts which is not rocket science. South African Ribeye production workers would probably testify to this. A factory built boat has to be built to a budget and then a margin added. Neither of which appllies to a 'custom' build.

The Osprey Vipermax has become probably the most popular rib within the 6-7m size range.
A well built Vipermax will and are, returning profits to the builders/owners even after 12-24months of use.
Timw will argue this, all Vipermax owners past and present will confirm it.