Make: Ribcraft 4.8M
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Mariner EFi
MMSI: 250 005566
RIBase
New to Forum and 1st Question

Hi all, new to Forum so hello.
My first question
I have used the search engine and the answer seems to be 10-15 years for tube life on most RIBS

Currently thinking of looking at a 13 year old Tornado, 1 owner, and is described as in excellent condition, and from looks of pictures it does look it.

I am used to Tornado's my old dive club had a 6.5M then a 7.5M

So is it a risk to buy, bearing in mind if the average tube life is 10-15, then am i realistically looking at having to retube in 2-3 years time.

Thanks

Tim B
Old 05 May 2018, 16:46   #2

Lots of boats with tubes way older than that but it all comes down to condition, if it was kept inside or a mooring in UV etc will play a part.

It wouldn't put me off if the boat is in good condition and no signs of glue problems on seams.
Old 05 May 2018, 17:07   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
It wouldn't put me off if the boat is in good condition and no signs of glue problems on seams.
Were tornados not welded back then?
Old 05 May 2018, 18:09   #4

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: Harmaakarhu
Make: Avon SR6
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
In my 27 year old Avon SR6 the tubes are just fine and will have plenty more life left. Patches here and there, but it's easy to glue hypalon. I have repaired some PVC boats and the seams will let go eventually. In about 15-25 years. And then it's goodbye tubes.
Old 05 May 2018, 18:36   #5

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Were tornados not welded back then?
I doubt they were welded back then.
Whilst i believe that the gap between pu boats and hypalon boats has narrowed in recent years id be very cautious of an older pu boat i have just ordered new tubes for a 4.5m tornado a similar age due to uv degradation
If its spent a lot of time outside then its highly likely the seams will begin to fail
Check all the seams and edges of fittings on the topsides for any signs of edges lifitng if they are lifting at all then walk away
Old 09 May 2018, 09:09   #6

Town: New Ross
Boat name: SIRIUS
RIBase
Hi all thanks for replies, food for thought, i may well have a look at the RIB as the pictures do it justice
Old 14 October 2018, 16:33   #7

RIBase
Hi all, didn't buy the Tornado in the end as it only had a 40hp engine on it and i felt it would be under powered.
Just put an offer in on a 4.8M RIBCRAFT with a 60hp Mariner.
As a matter of interest, anyone who has a RIBCRAFT 4.8M what are your thoughts, oh and what BAR pressure should the tubes be inflated too.
Thanks
Old 14 October 2018, 17:30   #8

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Nice capable well built RIB...for its size very Seaworthy...and seem to hold thier value really well....what layout do you have??
A Sixty will give decent performance,but not blistering....they do come alive in the Rougher stuff though ...where I've seen them Dance around much bigger and more powerful Boats
See video "Small Boats Big Seas" a sub 5m round Britain challenge undertaken a few years back...Clips on YouTube I believe..
I do have a full copy on CD if you want it ...pm me
Always inflated Tubes by "feel" depending on temp/conditions... Done me Ok for many years!....You should also have pressure release vaulves fitted as standard by RC

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2018, 17:42   #9

RIBase
twin jockey console, 2x 25 litre fuel tanks, unfortunately deck mounted at rear near transom, however normally will be myself and the wife, so i think plenty of room for two, A frame, Blue Hypalon tubes, trailer needs TLC but RIB itself in good condition. RIB is 2004, ex sailing club, with a 2 year old Mariner 60, with 113.5 hours on.
Old 14 October 2018, 18:06   #10

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
[QUOTE=TimB;784297]twin jockey console, 2x 25 litre fuel tanks, unfortunately deck mounted at rear near transom, however normally will be myself and the wife, so i think plenty of room for two, A frame, Blue Hypalon tubes, trailer needs TLC but RIB itself in good condition. RIB is 2004, ex sailing club, with a 2 year old Mariner 60, with 113.5 hours on.[/QUOTE

I cannot understand why people spec Their NEW RIB's (where space is ALWAYS at a premium) and Balance is so important...with deck/surface rear mounted Fuel tanks.

I know most makers don't give the option on the smaller stuff....but if it IS an option (as with RC) it would be very top of my list.
...The rest sounds alright
If you do end up with this one....The very best of luck Enjoy!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2018, 18:10   #11

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
I had a 4.8m Ribcraft with 2 x 25l fuel tanks at the back and a 90hp 2 stroke Yam on it. Handled great and no issues with balance at all [emoji106]
Old 14 October 2018, 18:49   #12

RIBase
Thanks all for response, sea trial on Wednesday, stand by for report
Old 14 October 2018, 21:25   #13

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I've had my Ribcraft 4.8 from new since 2010. Great boats in my opinion. I use mine predominantly on the east coast in the North Sea, but also on the west coast in the Atlantic and its handled everything I've thrown at it.

I've got a Tohatsu tweaked to 70hp, for perfect power to weight. If I was sticking to 2-stroke, a Yamaha 75hp would be top of my list, which incidentally is the maximum transom rating.

When you're doing the test run pay close attention to your engine tacho. These are heavy boats relatively speaking (250kg dry weight, another 100kg on the engine plus fuel and kit). The 60hp will be fine, assuming it's using the right propeller. Usually see aluminium 15-17 pitch, but on my Tohatsu, a stainless steel 17 pitch is the perfect match, in terms of hole shot and overall top speed.

My fuel tanks are under the jockey seats. I wouldn't worry about having them situated at the transom. If it's not fitted with a fuel filter, make sure that's one of your first buys.

Tubes should be inflated to 2-3psi. It has separate air chambers, so ensure you top up air evenly. There is a hull drain, but I've never seen a drop of water out of mine. Check anyway. Also check the deck area around the anchor locker. Some early Ribcrafts had issues where the anchor locker frame hadn't been sealed properly underneath.

The engine itself, then you want to see paperwork, and lots of it. I'm assuming it's still under warranty for 2 years old?

Good luck with the sea trial.
Old 20 October 2018, 16:32   #14

RIBase
Well sea trial done. Deposit paid.

The boat was a sailing clubs, safety boat. It had a new engine ( Mariner 60hp) fitted in 2016.
Typically the club serviced it themselves, so that knackered the warranty, why oh why do clubs/individuals do this.

Anyway i insisted it was put on diagnostics and a full service ( by authorised Mariner service agents). As part of the deal. New fuel filter fitted as well.
Diagnostics show 113.5 hours on engine, only 0.9 hours at full throttle, the bulk of the engine hours are at low revs.

The hull, tubes, seats ( twin jockey) are all in good order.

The boat has nav lights and working bilge pump.
No electronics, so winters project is to get GPS/sounder, DSC VHF Compass all fitted. Trailer is a bit tired but i have sourced new wheels and tyres and a new axle/suspension unit.
Ordered a made to measure cover to go over it.
Looking at the only other two 4.8M RIBCRAFTs for sale on Appollo Duck, the price i paid was very very good, unless i have missed something!!!! Fingers crossed.

So looking forward to next season
Old 24 October 2018, 07:05   #15

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB View Post
Well sea trial done. Deposit paid.

The boat was a sailing clubs, safety boat. It had a new engine ( Mariner 60hp) fitted in 2016.
Typically the club serviced it themselves, so that knackered the warranty, why oh why do clubs/individuals do this.

So looking forward to next season
Because Servicing costs are high from main dealers and far cheaper to do yourself. Also if you service yourself you learn about the engine an how it works. Stands you in good stead if you have an issue on the water. Also you can never be sure what the so called professionals actually do or more often what they don't do. I would rather know my engine has been properly done than simply having a piece of paper claiming it has. Also transporting to a main dealer is often a pain in the butt