Old 30 November 2004, 17:40   #21

Town: Kinsale
Boat name: Tsunami/Saol Eile
Make: Excalibur Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 350hp Volvo Diesel
Hi Lads,
yes your right in saying that our manufacturing workshops are in Riverstick. We always do our boating out of Kinsale, it's a nice area for boating but impossible to find somewhere to park the Jeeps and trailers!!
Unfortunately my boat wasn't in Marine Motors getting a service! The power head on the engine blew up after just 92 hours!! So I've had the 250 block replaced with a 225 block until they can get a replacement 250hp. Hopefully I'll have the engine back to normal next week.
We're going to organise a few trips to Baltimore and the Fastnet early in the New Year, so everyone welcome.

www.ribs.ie
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2004, 17:52   #22

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Will be at second home in Baltimore for the month of January , except for a quick trip to London Boat Show. I'm always looking for an excuse to take a spin out to the Fastnet so be sure to post on here or PM/e-mail me with the details. Will have my RIB with me too if you fancy a blast (its the first of its kind in Ireland!!).

Sorry to hear about the powerhead going. Ever thought about the 250 e-tec? Kevin and Dave at Marine Motors are raving about them!!
Old 30 November 2004, 20:15   #23

No more outboards for me!! Next season i'm going to have an 8m with a diesel inboard.
Launched one about six weeks ago for a customer in Crosshaven. 45 knots and extremely economical.
250hp Ficht is costing about €60 an hour to run cruising!! I do a lot of cruising at the weekends so it's starting to take the fun out of it. It would be about 10 times cheaper to run the diesel!

www.ribs.ie
Old 01 December 2004, 07:41   #24

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Hi Joe

Next time I am over I will let you know.
Maybe you need a radio supplier !

Anyway good luck and hope you go from strength to strength.

Regards
Old 01 December 2004, 18:52   #25

Hi Jon,
no problem, give us a shout next time your across.

www.ribs.ie
Old 06 December 2004, 16:40   #26

Town: Republic of Cork
Boat name: Vortex
Make: Excalibur
Engine: Yam 200 VMAX
New Excalibur Launch

Just like to add to comments from Ronan re build spec. I lauched a new 6.5 Exacalibur yesterday and am delighted with the finished product. I agree that the body will break before the boat. The initial set up with a 21" alloy prop on a 200 Yam VMAX gave 57mph. This was with four up and 80 litres of fuel.

I saw the boat from lay up and can safely say that the same money could not have bought the quality anywhere else.

Mark
Old 06 December 2004, 16:52   #27

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
More photos from the People's Republic of Cork please.

Good luck with the boat vortex.

Us
Old 10 December 2004, 21:17   #28

Town: Innishannon Co. Cork
Boat name: Saol Eile
Make: Excalibur
Engine: 350 Volvo
Excalibur Rib Run

Just to let you know that 6 excalibur Ribs are meeting up on Sunday morning 12 Dec. @ 10.30 and leaving for Crosshaven @ 11.00 and we hope to be in crosshaven @ 12.00 noon , Then going to Eastferry and hoping to be back in Kinsale @ 16.00 if any one is interested in coming along to get a closer look at the Ribs.
Regards Ronan
P.S. Best of luck with your new boat Mark.
Old 10 December 2004, 22:52   #29

Last Home!!!!

As Ronan has said there will be a few of the boats in the water on Sunday if anyone in the local area would like a look, or come along as there should be plenty of room.

No doubt as darkness will be falling early everyone will want to be back in kinsale before dark, so last home buys the drinks!!

www.ribs.ie
Old 13 December 2004, 19:07   #30

Town: Bandon
Boat name: Oisre
Make: Excaliber
Length: 7m +
Engine: O/B Evinrude 176hp
Gaeforce Ribs/Planes!

Had the pleasure of traveling in good company (5 Gaelforce ribs & met another Gaelforce brand new 8m inboard diesel) yesterday from Kinsale to Crosshaven (thanks to whoever supplied the food!) I have to admit they looked the business. There seems to be a bit of a shift towards Gaelforce ribs down this way, They really do look the business and having been out in a really confused sea yesterday watched them as they motored on by (Ronan only knows 2 speeds. Stop & flat out! ) with ease. My son who was traveling with Ronan later thanked him for the "flight" (It did appear that they only used the tops of the waves to go forwards) I am sure we will see pics shortly on the Gaelforce web site as this was a real PR opp.
Old 14 December 2004, 07:58   #31

Really am gutted I couldn't make this. College assignments deadlines and hangovers don't mix I'm afraid so was busy all day Sunday. Hope a good day was had by all.

On another note, I just read Cork Rib's article in the latest Irish edition of the RNLI magazine about the Rib. Very good article, sounds like good craic. At the time I was unable to go as I was in between RIBs at the time.

Anyway just realised that it was Ronan who organised it, so well done, a great idea, especially to raise €32,000 for the RNLI. At the end of Jon's article there was a mention of Kinsale-Scillies 2005. I really want to do it this time. Just a few questions?? We've got a 6m/150 Optimax. We can go flat out at 50kts and can cruise quite comfortably at 30. My main worry is fuel however, with a 110l tank and averaging 1nm/litre when its rough we have a range of 110nm. Do you think this setup is Ok for a trip like this?? Otherwise we have all the right gear: flares, auxillary, ropes, first aid etc??
Old 14 December 2004, 10:40   #32
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Steve
My personal opinion is that you are a bit light on fuel there.
A straight line distance between Kinsale and Hugh Town is about 140nm.
I always allow 25% extra for going left and right and up and down and another 10-15% for inclement weather, tides etc. So I would want fuel for a range of 200nm if it were me.
See if other boats can carry some fuel in cans for you. If you carry them yourself you must also allow for the additional fuel consumption rate when carrying the extra fuel weight.

You could also slow down-you are not going to cross that particular bit of sea at 50knots!

I would also be interested to see which way you intend to enter the "lagoon" at the Scillys.
Old 14 December 2004, 12:31   #33

Fuel concerns?

Hi Steve,
Brian is right with his calcs. I went on the Kinsale-Wales trip with Ronans gang (which incidently was great gas) and like you used 1 litre/nm. We ran on a 30% fuel excess in case we wanted to turn back at or before 1/2 way, also another important factor is if any body has to be towed then some juice is going to be consumed. ( we towed 1 boat from Ballycotton to The Soverigns outside kinsale and used up our extra 1/3 of fuel) To be fair we refueled in Kilmore Quay in Wexford on the way over and on the return trip, as well as filling up in Wales. (bloody expensive petrol over there )
All boats also had to do a RNLI seacheck to be able to go! I would recommend that as well for anybody that is into this crack.
Best of luck Steve and will probably see you out there someday!
Old 14 December 2004, 13:09   #34

Kinsale - Scillies

We actually did this trip in the middle of this year! Went on the day the Round Ireland Yacht Race was postponed due to weather.
We took one of our 6.5m ribs with a 200hp on the back. We burnt approx 50 - 55 gallons due to the weather. The trip took about 9 hours instead of the 5 hours we hoped for.
The price of the fuel on the Scillies was horendous!! About double what it cost in Ireland.
It was a great trip, worth doing again.

www.ribs.ie
Old 14 December 2004, 13:16   #35

Thanks for the replies Brian and Oisre. I didn't realise how far the Scillies were!! Brian as you say I'm not going to be hitting 50kts out there. At around 25kts we get just over 1.2nm per litre. This still only gives a range of 130 nm. Carrying extra fuel is a possible option & weight has very little affect on our consumption either. I suppose it's because it is a high lift hull, designed for taking load, divers, etc, I can borrow an ATL flexible fuel cell, as I would prefer to carry the extra fuel myself. I wouldn't ask anybody to carry my fuel to be honest!!

I probably would have been OK this yr, being able to refuel at Kilmore and Wales but looking at it know the Scillies seems to be one for the bigger boats (or bigger fuel tanks I guess!!)

Will talk to my friend Fintan, his Cobra travelled this yr, but with his co-owner at the helm. So maybe able to jump in with him if he decides to do it next yr.

Look forward to seeing a few Excaliburs around the Fastnet in the New Yr!!
Old 14 December 2004, 13:21   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami
We actually did this trip in the middle of this year! Went on the day the Round Ireland Yacht Race was postponed due to weather.
Thats what I like to hear!! Going out when everybody is coming back in. Keep me posted on any upcoming trips/RNLI fundraisers/etc.
Old 14 December 2004, 17:33   #37

One for the Diary!

Steve
There is talks of doing the Kinsale-Wales trip again next year. Date to be confirmed. Our boat hopes to be tagging along once again. When I hear more I'll post it here and let ye know!
Old 14 December 2004, 18:48   #38

Length: 8m +
Send a message via AIM to richie
kinsale to wales pics

thought with all the talk of another trip id post up some pics of our last trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tsunami 8m.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	9644   Click image for larger version

Name:	tsunami and hookhead.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	9645  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp walshes4.bmp (150.6 KB, 106 views)
Old 14 December 2004, 19:23   #39

Nice pics Richie!!

Thats the job Oisre. You can e-mail me closer to the event by clicking on my profile. Nice one!!
Old 15 December 2004, 09:37   #40
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Cyanide, in the foreground, refueling at Kinsale, just outside the Trident Hotel.
What's that in the background? Good lord it is one or two of Gael Forces new ribs!

And then, "Tsunami" and "Cyanide" viewed from the other angle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kinsale.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	9656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kinsale1.JPG
Views:	601
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	9657