Old 12 May 2013, 11:27   #1

Town: london
Boat name: Yo-Yo
Make: Ribeye
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 300
New Rib Yamaha throttle

Went down to Dartmouth to test out my new Ribeye 785. Got to say fantastic service from them. I have one question.
The throttle control (very cool) is fly by wire. I am used to throttles that are wired up and have a safety button to move it out of neutral. This does not?
The guys at ribeye say all the manufactures are doing this, so you can knock the throttle into gear by accident. Has anyone come up with a solution to getting some form of lock to stop this?
Old 12 May 2013, 12:08   #2

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
nice rib, good choice

don't know about the new controls, but doesn't sound to good to me
Old 12 May 2013, 12:32   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Caton View Post
don't know about the new controls, but doesn't sound to good to me
This has been normal for yonks on binnacle throttles. Be cautious when leaving the helm with the motors running. We had a few kids hop onto the 1050 (twin 300s) in Crinan for a looksee. They made straight for the nice console with the bouncy seats. As they moved, both myself and donegaldan had the same thought and lunged to kill those deadly quiet engines. We both had visions of 600hp loosed among a huge raft of RIBs and PAX.
Old 12 May 2013, 13:04   #4

[QUOTE=willk;536665]This has been normal for yonks on binnacle throttles. Be cautious when leaving the helm with the motors running.

For yonks???? I can't believe that someone has not had a major accident with this system, their must be a better way.
Old 12 May 2013, 13:08   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxg View Post
For yonks???? I can't believe that someone has not had a major accident with this system, their must be a better way.
For yonks

What could be better than no-one having had a major accident with this system for yonks?
Old 12 May 2013, 13:13   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
For yonks

What could be better than no-one having had a major accident with this system for yonks?

Good point....

Just worried as there will be children on the boat most times, and just wanted an easy life. Ho hum engine off at all times unless it manned by a resposable person.
Old 12 May 2013, 13:17   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Yup! A combination of good boat management and good child management should cover it. Tell them how keelhauling works....
Old 12 May 2013, 13:58   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Quote:
Went down to Dartmouth to test out my new Ribeye 785. Got to say fantastic service from them. I have one question.
The throttle control (very cool) is fly by wire. I am used to throttles that are wired up and have a safety button to move it out of neutral. This does not?
The guys at ribeye say all the manufactures are doing this, so you can knock the throttle into gear by accident. Has anyone come up with a solution to getting some form of lock to stop this?
Hi, I am sure yours should have the safety button. look on the left hand side of the base of thr throttle, There should be a small black button whic is flush with the unit. Push this in and the blue light on the throttle case should start to flash. This thien enables you to push the throttle forward to gain revs without being in gear. We have the same kit and all models have the fit, will be very surprised if this ione of yours does not. If you struggle send me an image of both sides of the throttle base or ring Tim at Ribeye. All the
best
Old 12 May 2013, 14:02   #9
RIBnet supporter

See image of the set up you will probably have with the throttle box. The switch is not very clear but can be seen left hand side and is flush with box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0062.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	79877  
Old 12 May 2013, 14:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post
See image of the set up you will probably have with the throttle box. The switch is not very clear but can be seen left hand side and is flush with box.

Thanks for your help. I know the button you mention but I thought you had to keep it pressed to activate the system. If you don't that would be ideal.
Old 12 May 2013, 15:19   #11
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Thanks for your help. I know the button you mention but I thought you had to keep it pressed to activate the system. If you don't that would be ideal.
You should just push the button in and the blue small light changes I think from fixed to flashing and then the gear is disengaged, I then just touch the throttle up. I think then you can get it back the same way. Just do a test in clear water to make sure first. I regulary do this if I leave the engine on when moving about the boat to save the disaster of engaging if you fell against it
Old 12 May 2013, 15:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2 RIBS View Post

You should just push the button in and the blue small light changes I think from fixed to flashing and then the gear is disengaged, I then just touch the throttle up. I think then you can get it back the same way. Just do a test in clear water to make sure first. I regulary do this if I leave the engine on when moving about the boat to save the disaster of engaging if you fell against it
That sounds better then just leaving it or turning the engine off. I wonder why they did away with the old system ?
Old 12 May 2013, 16:25   #13
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
That sounds better then just leaving it or turning the engine off. I wonder why they did away with the old system ?

I think the old one being a cable system had the clutch just below top of lever that worked well to stop accidential engaging and had the large balck push button at the side of the lever if you wished to totally disengage and also increase engine revs

Tags
rib