Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 06 March 2006, 18:28   #21

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Whiteshoes, that is at the back of my mind - I'm planning a trip to the UK in probably July some time (no dates set yet) so I could have a look at a few while there and see what is what. It's most likely I'll be based in Worthing on the south coast, where is the nearest place to there that one could find a good selection of used stuff to look for?? Dad bought a sailing dinghy a couple of years ago and got that from some place down in Southampton but closer than that would be better.

Trouble is we have been having a lot of fine weather and October or November when it would arrive here seems like a long way off!!!
Old 07 March 2006, 08:23   #22

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Stephen

If you made the trip in May you could visit Ribex in Cowes. You will have a load of RIBs to look at in one place. They will be new, but it will give you an idea of who makes what, and would help with choosing second hand.

http://www.ribexhibitions.co.uk/

I spent 6 weeks at MPA a few years ago (civilian) in July/August and from what I saw, I would prefer to have the extra bouyancy of a rib in your sea conditions, should anything go wrong.

As a matter of interest, is the pub just up from the front on the right (Victory?) still flogging Zippos with mirrored maps, or do I have the only dodgy one?
Old 07 March 2006, 10:38   #23
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster
Whiteshoes, that is at the back of my mind - I'm planning a trip to the UK in probably July some time (no dates set yet) so I could have a look at a few while there and see what is what. It's most likely I'll be based in Worthing on the south coast, where is the nearest place to there that one could find a good selection of used stuff to look for?? Dad bought a sailing dinghy a couple of years ago and got that from some place down in Southampton but closer than that would be better.

Trouble is we have been having a lot of fine weather and October or November when it would arrive here seems like a long way off!!!

Take a look at www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk a selection of used RIBS all over the U.K, and as Mark says you could visit RIBEX.

Alex
Old 07 March 2006, 12:31   #24

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Aqua Vitae
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 75hp
MMSI: 235115057
Stephen,
it was indeed Dave Mallett at Wavelength Training who did some work in the Falklands. I did my vhf course with him, and he certainly knows his stuff!
You could PM him or try www.wavelengthtraining.co.uk

Good luck.
RIBs all the way!

Tim
Old 07 March 2006, 14:10   #25

Unfortunately May is out - late June or July are the possibilities, a shame as that would be ideal to go to as you say.

Mark - no idea! I didn't know they sold dodgy ones! The Vic is still there though

I'll PM wavelength later on

thanks
Old 07 March 2006, 18:06   #26

Town: Torquay UK
Boat name: Casper
Make: Sweden Yacht
Length: 10m +
Engine: Volvo 28
Hi Stephen,, remember ,, early july is also 7S event with the lr4x4 !!
you are always welcome for a run out in Torbay on mine !!
Old 07 March 2006, 23:19   #27

ok here are some pictures of the Blue Chip taken this evening:

so what is the verdict please, is it a Winner Wildcat from 70s/80s or something else....?

thanks

Stephen
Old 07 March 2006, 23:40   #28

Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Flatacraft
Make: Flatacraft
Engine: Yamaha 70hp (OB)
Send a message via MSN to stu1288
looks a dodgy boat to me id stick with a rib

no realy nice boat if thats what you want but i think you need to think hard what you do want there is a big gap between a rib and that
Old 08 March 2006, 04:45   #29
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Yes it's a Winner Wildcat-though I don't recall ever seeing one with an outboard. The only ones I've seen are sterndrive. Might be worth checking if it's been converted.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2006, 09:21   #30

Yeah looking at it again since I posted the photos you can see the similarity in the kicked up seam at the stern with some of the ones in adverts linked to earlier, so I'm sure you're right.

If it is a "conversion" it's a good job, you wouldn't know to look at it, looks like it was designed to be an outboard so whoever did it seemed to know what they were doing. Having said that, is a conversion something to be wary of? it doesn't look like there has ever been an inboard engine, no fittings left over inside that I noticed.

Still gotta go see the RIB so no decisions yet. In a way the presence of a roof is a good thing because it'll probably get a lot more use on cooler days, the sea temps here are pretty cold and its a chilly business on a boat at speed! But on nice days you'd wish you didn't have a roof. Kind of like a car I guess.....
Old 08 March 2006, 16:21   #31

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Hi Steve-those pics look like a familiar bit of the world. My other 'arf's immediate response was " I wanna go back!!" That'll be Stanley harbour-just dont go paddling down in the Canash as thats were all that untreated effluent ends up I believe. That looks like a bit of a veteran evenrude. Wander down to Falklands Conservation at the end of Ross Road and see if Sam Miller is about. If not his wife Hay (nickname-long story!) will be there I expect. Sam was my boatman whilst I was down there and stayed with us here in the uk for a while. real nice guy-true Falklander born and bred and what he doesnt know about the history of any boat in the falklands is not worth knowing! Tell him I sent you and pass on my regards. I'll e mail Hay if I get chance to say you are coming. Assuming she is still at conservation of course its about 18months since sam was over here. May be a chance to get involved with them as well -and believe me that really is worth doing if you can!
Old 08 March 2006, 16:54   #32

Ok I have sent the introductory e mail to Hay. I'll let you know when/if I get a reply but I am offshore on a commercial job for a couple of days so itwont be immediate. A bit of shelter is always a seriously good thing when that southerly wind blows. even in summer it cuts like a knife and some shelter is a godsend. our little conservation rib had a cuddy on it - wonderfull thing to hide behind! You'll be sliding towards the long nights and cold temps down there now I suppose. Brrr
have a pint or three in the Upland Goose for me and dont go stamping about near any of those mined bits,- I've gone all nostalgic now
Old 08 March 2006, 18:38   #33

Thanks Dave

Yes that is Stanley harbour, the photos were of the current owner messing around just off "B" slip on Ross Road East

I know Sam, haven't asked him if he knows any history but I will do so - hadn't thought of him, don't think he has a boat these days but right enough he used to and he would have been very involved at around the time the Blue Chip came down here (about 1990ish I think)

Yes the Canache is a bit whiffy on a warm day - I will avoid that I think... apart from anything else somebody I know reckons there's a 1000lb UXB under Boxer Bridge that never got found... I'd hate to be the one that did, a small spray of fibreglass and brains and that would be the end of me
Old 08 March 2006, 19:17   #34

talk to sam, he was doing all the boat upkeep/trailering, as well as doing his own tourist landrover tours and trips to volunteer point (all them king penguins), and most of the boat driving for them when I was there a couple of years back- and ask him or Hay to e mail me if you do please cos my e mail to conservation bounced back as undeliverable so I assume they have changed addresses. When I get back I'll have a look at their contact details as I would not like to lose touch with them. UNLESS of course they have changed to throw me off the scent
Old 08 March 2006, 20:24   #35

Sam just does tours now I think

Will give them your email address - PM me with it - they did change all their addresses at one point which caused a complete shambles but that's another story altogether....

cheers

Stephen
Old 10 March 2006, 15:16   #36

Verdict on something please:

Humber Destroyer 5.8m
115hp Johnson V4 outboard
Depth sounder GPS
VHF radio
Electric bilge pump
Trailer (probably home made, not sure)
£8000

Going to see it tomorrow both out and in of the water but I am told it is in good condition, about 4 years old I think.

Good value or not?

Then it's decision time whether to buy one, t'other, or wait and have a look in the UK in July (and possibly/probably miss out on both these)

Thanks
Old 10 March 2006, 21:56   #37

I think most of the boat trailers out there end up being modified with big wheels or are home made cos of them miles of loose and random limestone rocks that ya call roads out there Mind you they are easier than going across Camp in a landrover but not half as much fun-we loved it esp going over to volunteer point king penguins. The conservation rib had, I think, landrover wheels on the trailer cos it had to go cross country for some jobs.
Is that rib a yellow one with a black rubbing strake parked up on the left as you go down to the slip just before the Canache ?-if so it may have been for sale when I was there ?
Boat looked ok then and a destroyer is a good soft ride - we only had a 5.3 destroyer out there(with a cuddy ! ) and that coped fine. Ask sam about the engine ?? Are the tubes still ok if its been outdoors under that hole in the ozone layer without a cover?
Old 11 March 2006, 01:35   #38

oi!! they're quartzite not limestone

I think it could be the same one - but I think it has been stored in a warehouse mostly, going to find out more tomorrow & may get some pictures then
Old 11 March 2006, 15:36   #39

Well here is the opposition

Bit older than I thought (owner thinks 2000) but looks ok to me and having been out in it this morning the Grin Factor is certainly there

Throttle is very sticky but can't be rocket science to sort out

Hull is almost spotless apart from some little white clingy things which were looking a bit thirsty after 3 weeks out of the water

Parked next to a Rigid Raider

bit surprised it would only do about 30 though on 115hp motor when the speedboat would do 40+ on 140hp despite being (feeling) a lot heavier - but the RIB is definitely more comfortable in choppy conditions (about 20kt wind this morning) must be down to the deeper V bow I guess

now all I need is to rob a bank, mutter mutter.....

The only thing I noticed is that the tubes seemed quite faded (I thought) for the age of it - is fading likely to be a sign of potential problems with UV (which is very strong here) or is it purely cosmetic....??

Thanks
Old 11 March 2006, 16:39   #40

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
No. It's been left in the sun. There are plenty of threads here about cleaning tubes.

Get yourself a sandwich and a cup of coffee before you do a search.