Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
Oh, hush you! After such a pleasant phone call, I didn't think it was fair of me to be calling him expensive until I've seen what services he provides. He was very nice about it, and at least if I come back and say "Nah, it was rubbish, they have no facilities and it's dire" I'll have seen enough to comment!
What a good idea Jimbo, maybe you could do a mini series on boatyards/marinas.

To that end I've just been speaking to Gill and Gareth (truly nice people) at Drivers Dry Berthing and I am sure that they would be delighted if you could pop in and maybe review their facilities at the same time.

After all if you are going to be reporting on local facilities it can only be a fair view if you have looked at them all. I am sure that Dan at Saxon Wharf/Shamrock Quay would love your opinion on his facilities also.

Don't forget there is Itchen Marine I know the guys from tugging, but I have never actually visited their yard, but Graham is a straight enough guy
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2006, 15:51   #22

Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
What a good idea Jimbo, maybe you could do a mini series on boatyards/marinas.

To that end I've just been speaking to Gill and Gareth (truly nice people) at Drivers Dry Berthing and I am sure that they would be delighted if you could pop in and maybe review their facilities at the same time.

After all if you are going to be reporting on local facilities it can only be a fair view if you have looked at them all. I am sure that Dan at Saxon Wharf/Shamrock Quay would love your opinion on his facilities also.

Don't forget there is Itchen Marine I know the guys from tugging, but I have never actually visited their yard, but Graham is a straight enough guy
Rogue, I'm well up for that.

Having met Gill and Gareth, I think their facilities should definitely be lauded, as they have obviously worked extremely hard to get Drivers set up how it is.

Perhaps if members are interested, they could give a list of questions/things they would like me to look at/review, and I shall go and visit Itchen Marine, Shamrock Quay, Saxon Wharf, Drivers Dry Berthing, and Southampton Dry Stack, and give you a like for like basis for comparison. Hopefully I can talk to people that use their facilities etc so I can guage a general feel.

Hopefully this should be of benefit to people looking to store their boats on the itchen/in southampton.

On my list at the moment is:

Cost
Security
Facilities (Perhaps this can be expanded on with sub groups)
Friendliness of Staff (And if I get a chance I'll look at how the staff handle boats etc)
Access to the water

Anything people would like me to look at?