Old 15 November 2013, 08:54   #1

Length: no boat
RIBase
Monte Carlo Rib History

One of the more notable race boats was the first ever rib called "Rocking pneumonia". It was owned by John Caulcutt. It had been designed by Atlantic College in Wales. Arthur Robinson became friendly with a designer called George Marvin. He embraced the rigid bottom inflatable and went on to design the original Avon Searider RIBs; Galt Glass a GRP production company in Cowes, went on to produce the first Avon Seariders. Bembridge outboards started to sell some of the Seariders as rescue boats to local sailing clubs. Club members liked the safety and comfort and started to want the Ribs for leisure. One customer commissioned a 5.4 meter Searider with a new Mercury 6 cylinder 115hp to set the record to ski from IOW to Le Havre. The boat was just controllable and the mono ski record was set.

John Callcutt also took part in endurance racing. He refitted "Rocking Pneumonia" with long range fuel tanks and twin 60HP Mercury outboards to race from the UK to Monaco. The boat did well but unfortunately got crushed between a ship and a sea wall in northern Spain, putting an end to the race. It was repaired and lasted many more years. In 1984 John Caulcutt was asked to put together a small team for the round Britain race sponsored by Heineken beer. Carlsberg had a multi-million budget, Heineken wanted to capture the hearts of the spectators, and be the underdog! They purchased a Fatercraft which just squeezed into the minimum length to be able to race; it was named Thirst Aid! Bembridge Outboards set the boat up with twin hand start 50hp Mercurys the minimum hp required. Heineken followed the boat round the country handing out free beer and balloons to the crew and spectators - the boat made it round intact never finishing last. Carlsberg sunk in the Irish Sea, Job done!
Old 15 November 2013, 08:58   #2

RIBase
Here is the legend in his mad days - anyone visiting Yarmouth should keep and eye out for him. To join John's gang in the old days you had to pass several test one of which was to waterski under Yarmouth Pier - with him driving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calcut2.JPG
Views:	526
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	87489  
Old 15 November 2013, 16:14   #3

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by indaba1991 View Post
One of the more notable race boats was the first ever rib called "Rocking pneumonia". It was owned by John Caulcutt. It had been designed by Atlantic College in Wales. Arthur Robinson became friendly with a designer called George Marvin. He embraced the rigid bottom inflatable and went on to design the original Avon Searider RIBs; Galt Glass a GRP production company in Cowes, went on to produce the first Avon Seariders. Bembridge outboards started to sell some of the Seariders as rescue boats to local sailing clubs. Club members liked the safety and comfort and started to want the Ribs for leisure. One customer commissioned a 5.4 meter Searider with a new Mercury 6 cylinder 115hp to set the record to ski from IOW to Le Havre. The boat was just controllable and the mono ski record was set.

John Callcutt also took part in endurance racing. He refitted "Rocking Pneumonia" with long range fuel tanks and twin 60HP Mercury outboards to race from the UK to Monaco. The boat did well but unfortunately got crushed between a ship and a sea wall in northern Spain, putting an end to the race. It was repaired and lasted many more years. In 1984 John Caulcutt was asked to put together a small team for the round Britain race sponsored by Heineken beer. Carlsberg had a multi-million budget, Heineken wanted to capture the hearts of the spectators, and be the underdog! They purchased a Fatercraft which just squeezed into the minimum length to be able to race; it was named Thirst Aid! Bembridge Outboards set the boat up with twin hand start 50hp Mercurys the minimum hp required. Heineken followed the boat round the country handing out free beer and balloons to the crew and spectators - the boat made it round intact never finishing last. Carlsberg sunk in the Irish Sea, Job done!
Is It just me...OR did things seem A LOT more FUN in days gone by??!!!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2013, 16:28   #4

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Yep more fun. I'm old enough to remember. Less people peeing on you're bonfire back then
Old 15 November 2013, 18:20   #5

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Does seem to be a bit of a National Pass time!..!..(Not to mention European!)
Glad to say (with the right Mob of friends) we still have some truly Great Times!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2013, 18:25   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Does seem to be a bit of a National Pass time!..!..(Not to mention European!)
Glad to say (with the right Mob of friends) we still have some truly Great Times!
Could not agree more! This winter I fully intend to use the rib to the max fun when I can including an unprovoked assault on the French in Cherbourg with some mates who have similar boats.
Old 15 November 2013, 19:01   #7

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
I thought John Calcutts first race rhib was Psychedelic Surfer
Old 15 November 2013, 19:20   #8

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
Thought the same. Designed by Atlantic collage at request of the rnli? I'm sure there was some history posted on boatmad in reply to a thread where I asked about the history of psychedelic surfer.

Edit.. http://boatmad.com/forum/showthread....ht=Psychedelic
Old 15 November 2013, 19:45   #9

Make: Zodiac Mk I
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
Page 21

http://www.powerboatarchive.co.uk/Ma...ITAIN%20DT.pdf
Old 15 November 2013, 20:55   #10

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
This is absolutely correct - Rocking Pneumonia was built in about 1972 some 2/3 yrs after Psychedelic Surfer. The patch information I used was taken from the history of Shearwater Ribs which is obviously flawed.
Old 15 November 2013, 21:18   #11

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by indaba1991 View Post
Carlsberg sunk in the Irish Sea, Job done!
If Carlsberg made boats.....

Tags
rib