Old 17 February 2014, 19:40   #1

Town: Dorset
Boat name: BlueTube
Make: XS500
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury Opti 75hp
MMSI: 235098668
MMSI registration

Have just bought second hand RIB, Have VHF licence and think MMSI stays with the boat. Had a quick look online and it's not clear to me if I need to do anything to register new owner? Anyone know if I have to do anything??
Old 17 February 2014, 19:54   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
You'll need to contact your "authorities" to have to MMSI details reflect your ownership - name, phone number, NOK etc.

Someone will point you to where soon...
Old 17 February 2014, 19:54   #3

The MMSI is specific to that radio and is programmed into it. The only way of changing it is by having it reprogrammed by a dealer.

You will need two licences in order to use the radio legally.

Operators licences - this is for yourself and allows you to use any VHF set. You get this by doing the RYA course either online or in a classroom and then passing the exam at the end. Your licence is then issued by the RYA and is valid for ever.

Ships radio licence - this is for the radio on the boat and any other transmitting devices you have onboard such as hand held vhfs or epirbs etc. It is issued by ofcom and is free if charge if you do it online. They will usually issue you with an MMSI which you input into the radio but you may be able to tell them the MMSI already stored and they will reregister it in your name. It may help if you have a copy of the old license held by the previous owner, if they had one.

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Old 17 February 2014, 20:02   #4

You'll need to let ofcom know that the boat now belongs to you and get a new ships radio licence in your name.you should be able to do it on their website otherwise give them a call. They are usually very helpful.
Worst case scenario if you don't is they contact the wrong people to let them know they've found you/your boat as the contact details the have associated with your MMSI are the previous owner.

Old 17 February 2014, 20:04   #5

Sorry for double post. Phone crashed while posting first reply then I reread your initial post.

Old 17 February 2014, 21:06   #6

Length: 3m +
Ofcom | I have just bought a vessel which has a licence. How do I transfer it into my name?

https://services.ofcom.org.uk/register

When you apply for a licence on-line they will ask in the "Vessel History" section if the vessel has previously been issued an MMSI / Calsign.
Old 18 February 2014, 21:55   #7

Spent all day trying to sort this, numerous calls to ofcom, apparently you have to apply for new licence tried that then discovered I had to amend my existing licence (for handheld) then couldn't access my existing, Waste of space jobs worth at Ofcom just kept telling me to reboot my desktop as they where having no issues at there end. Tried reboot, different desktop plus IPhone but no luck! Eventually they admitted problem was there end!!! Rest username and password now it won't accept my MMSI number!! Think that must be because it is still registered to previous owner, going to try again tomorrow .... Doing my head in!!
Old 19 February 2014, 20:14   #8

Finally sorted Ofcom tell you to apply for new licence but what they forget to tell you is you have to access existing THEN apply for new, Only then when you then apply for new it gives you option register MMSI previously registered if that makes sense!?

straightforward when you know how

Anyway sorted
Old 19 February 2014, 20:18   #9

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
I had issues with their website - but they at least admitted it was them and their website. Numptys.

Its not rocket science - why cant organisations get these simple things right ?!