Old 18 July 2006, 22:51   #1

Town: Wirral / Anglesey
Boat name: Cobalt
Make: Avon 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 150hp
Menai Straits

Can anyone give me an update on possible places to launch in the Straits these days. I'm 6.2m so need a slip really.

Cheers

Nick
Old 19 July 2006, 17:01   #2
GED

Town: CONWY/CORFU
Boat name: The Full Morty II
Make: Air Craft/Shakespere
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 300hp/Etec150hp
ever thought about Conwy, good slip,good parking, petrol in marina, just a short hop to Puffin island and then on to meni straights
Old 19 July 2006, 20:31   #3

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Aqua Vitae
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 75hp
MMSI: 235115057
From north east to south west:

There are a couple between Penmon Point (opposite Puffin Island) and Beaumaris, but the one that is in a fit state to be used is chained across with a notice saying private slip.

There's a decent concrete slip at Beaumaris (by the lifeboat station) but the bottom is sand. You need to be registered with Anglesey, Denbighshire, Gwynedd or Conwy and then pay the £10 launch fee to pier master. Parking on the village green.

Gallows point (near ABC Powermarine in Beaumaris) is a shingle beach and is free, although I've been warned that you need a 4x4. Plenty of space to park.

ABC Powermarine (www.abcpm.co.uk) offer launching facilities and boatyard storage. Not sure about parking.

Menai Bridge slip, next to the bridge. Pay your £10 to Porth Daniel boatyard. Parking is a bit of a problem but the slip is concrete all the way down so is great at all tidal states. Need to be registered with one of the four councils above.

Y Felinheli (also known as Port Dinorwic) - there are several slips, but none that I'd really go for. They often get blocked by parked cars. There are apparently facilities at the marina, though I don't know any more about them.

Caernarfon - there is a concrete slip on the outside of the harbour wall at Victoria Dock. It does dry out at low tide and parking is quite limited although there is quite a bit of parking a short walk away on the pay and display near Morrisons. I think Menai Marine offer launching facilities as well.

I've also used Traeth Bychan, on the north coast of Anglesey, and cruised round (takes me about an hour to Beaumaris). Have to be registered as per Beaumaris and costs £10 to launch. There are toilets, cafe and plenty of parking (£1.50 per day), although it's crazily busy on a hot summer weekend. Slip is concrete but leads down onto sand. I've taken a Vauxhall Astra estate onto the sand with no problems.

That's a long post!

I've recently been on holiday to the area and investigated all the slips as the gale force winds kept me from actually launching.

Hope this all helps,
Tim.
Old 21 July 2006, 15:35   #4

Town: Liverpool
Make: Zodiac Yachtline 500
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Mariner
How do you go about registering - I have a place in Treaddur Bay and need to resister to use the slipway there.
Old 21 July 2006, 20:08   #5

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Aqua Vitae
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 75hp
MMSI: 235115057
You can register at the slipway. Just fill in your form and pay your £20 registration fee and £10 launch. You need to take proof of insurance with you. You can also register by post with the county council offices at Llangefni.

Other options are monthly (£60 I think) and annual fees (£100 including registration fee, with discount available if you're an Anglesey council tax payer or if you have RYA certificates). I think that the annual one is only available by contacting the council offices.

http://www.ynysmon.gov.uk/doc.asp?cat=1787 has all the info you need!

Tim.
Old 31 August 2006, 09:43   #6

Town: CAERNARFON
Boat name: 10
Make: NARWHALL
Engine: YAMAHA
launching in menai straights

We own a slipway (Ty Calch) known locally as Ronnies or White Cottage and we are right on the menai straights just past caernarfon (Llanfaglan), Launching is available 7 days a week 7am to 7pm (May to October) and outside of these hours by arrangement, Launching is carried out by are 2 Tractors and access is not restricted by the tide, Launch and recovery is £12.50 inclusive, we have free parking facilitys, toilets and showers. We have on site storage for 50 boats (currently full) but will allow additional short term storage for people on holidays or down for the weekend. Service and repairs can be arranged by a local marine mechanic who is very reasonable (looks after about 90% of are stored boats) Fresh bait is available for those who want a bash at fishing, you can give me a ring anytime for a birds eye view of what the waters up to! cheers
Chris 07917 859345
Old 22 March 2011, 13:15   #7

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
Dragging this up from the past!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
We own a slipway (Ty Calch) known locally as Ronnies or White Cottage and we are right on the menai straights just past caernarfon (Llanfaglan), Launching is available 7 days a week 7am to 7pm (May to October) and outside of these hours by arrangement, Launching is carried out by are 2 Tractors and access is not restricted by the tide, Launch and recovery is £12.50 inclusive, we have free parking facilitys, toilets and showers. We have on site storage for 50 boats (currently full) but will allow additional short term storage for people on holidays or down for the weekend. Service and repairs can be arranged by a local marine mechanic who is very reasonable (looks after about 90% of are stored boats) Fresh bait is available for those who want a bash at fishing, you can give me a ring anytime for a birds eye view of what the waters up to! cheers
Chris 07917 859345
As per the title, dragging this up from 2006.... But, wanted to say what a smashing /helpful guy Chris is....we have used him /his yard and launch services a few times recently (whilst doing work for the Env Agency in both their vessels and ours)...

Will be heading back up to Ty Calch towards the end of the week and have been speaking again with Chris who always comes up with the goods /manages to accomodate us and our awkward launch times etc.

Recommended! Dan

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2011, 20:42   #8

Town: manchester
Boat name: rib tickler
Make: ribeye 650s
Length: 6m +
Engine: yami 150
MMSI: 235072416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Tim View Post
From north east to south west:

There are a couple between Penmon Point (opposite Puffin Island) and Beaumaris, but the one that is in a fit state to be used is chained across with a notice saying private slip.

There's a decent concrete slip at Beaumaris (by the lifeboat station) but the bottom is sand. You need to be registered with Anglesey, Denbighshire, Gwynedd or Conwy and then pay the £10 launch fee to pier master. Parking on the village green.

Gallows point (near ABC Powermarine in Beaumaris) is a shingle beach and is free, although I've been warned that you need a 4x4. Plenty of space to park.

ABC Powermarine (www.abcpm.co.uk) offer launching facilities and boatyard storage. Not sure about parking.

Menai Bridge slip, next to the bridge. Pay your £10 to Porth Daniel boatyard. Parking is a bit of a problem but the slip is concrete all the way down so is great at all tidal states. Need to be registered with one of the four councils above.

Y Felinheli (also known as Port Dinorwic) - there are several slips, but none that I'd really go for. They often get blocked by parked cars. There are apparently facilities at the marina, though I don't know any more about them.

Caernarfon - there is a concrete slip on the outside of the harbour wall at Victoria Dock. It does dry out at low tide and parking is quite limited although there is quite a bit of parking a short walk away on the pay and display near Morrisons. I think Menai Marine offer launching facilities as well.

I've also used Traeth Bychan, on the north coast of Anglesey, and cruised round (takes me about an hour to Beaumaris). Have to be registered as per Beaumaris and costs £10 to launch. There are toilets, cafe and plenty of parking (£1.50 per day), although it's crazily busy on a hot summer weekend. Slip is concrete but leads down onto sand. I've taken a Vauxhall Astra estate onto the sand with no problems.

That's a long post!

I've recently been on holiday to the area and investigated all the slips as the gale force winds kept me from actually launching.

Hope this all helps,
Tim.

traeth bychan car parking with trailer was last season and will still be £5 notes
Old 22 March 2011, 23:13   #9

Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickl View Post
Can anyone give me an update on possible places to launch in the Straits these days. I'm 6.2m so need a slip really.

Cheers

Nick
Hi Nick, i can recommend chris at ty calch
Old 23 March 2011, 07:34   #10

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadd View Post
Hi Nick, i can recommend chris at ty calch
Sorry Hadd...I dragged this one up from 2006 when ick made the post.....we have been using Chris recently and wanted to give credit where it was due....ties in quite neatly with the other thread re rising launch fees on Anglesey too I guess?

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2011, 10:44   #11

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Chris at Ty Calch