Old 24 April 2019, 07:45   #1

Town: Guildford
Boat name: X-Pro
Make: X-Pro
Length: 5m +
Engine: O/B Mariner 60HP
Mariner 60Hp Grommet issues

Hi all,
I'm a new member but I've lurked in the background gleaming good info from the site.
In the past, I've seen posts regarding water cooling issues on the Mariner 60HP.
One post had a good sequence of photos and suggestions. Now it's my turn to try to resolve the engine over heating issue.
I've removed the power head by removing (12 I think) bolts from the underside of mid section. The power head lifted off easily.
The lower gearbox has been removed - and set aside.
The issue now, is how to separate the lower leg from the mid section? I was told, once the power head was off, I would see the bolts holding the lower section. However, on this model it isn't the case.
Most of the bolts from the underside go through the mid section and thread into the power head. Three shorter bolts, towards the rear of the engine, thread into the mid section.
At the moment, I've rigged up a small hydraulic jack to push up on the three bolts to try and ease the sections apart. However, I'm reluctant to do too much and damage the casing.
Any ideas what I've missed or how to get these things apart?

Thanks in advance.
Trevor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190424_075531_resized.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	129147   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190424_075555_resized.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	129148  
Old 24 April 2019, 09:33   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
hi Trevor welcome

limited knowledge from me on this and not familiar with your engine but it's my understanding that it's just the water tube thats in that part of the leg if so why risk damaging the leg unless there is a need just my thoughts

cheers jeff
Old 24 April 2019, 10:03   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
hi Trevor welcome

limited knowledge from me on this and not familiar with your engine but it's my understanding that it's just the water tube thats in that part of the leg if so why risk damaging the leg unless there is a need just my thoughts

cheers jeff
Thanks for the quick reply.
Unfortunately, the lower leg needs to come off in order to remove the water pipe. Also, the rubber grommet is between the the middle section and lower leg. Just can't see what's holding the two sections together.
Cheers Trevor
Old 24 April 2019, 11:17   #4

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberDuck View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.
Unfortunately, the lower leg needs to come off in order to remove the water pipe. Also, the rubber grommet is between the the middle section and lower leg. Just can't see what's holding the two sections together.
Cheers Trevor
ha thats a bummer have a look on danger marine on youtube he does lots on strip downs yams mostly but you might gets some tips he does reply if you contact him.
i would bin the jack though that last pump and all that

best of luck
Old 24 April 2019, 16:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
ha thats a bummer have a look on danger marine on youtube he does lots on strip downs yams mostly but you might gets some tips he does reply if you contact him.
i would bin the jack though that last pump and all that

best of luck
Yeh, the jack was only putting light pressure on the bolt heads to see if the gasket would free off.

As Sherlock Holmes said, once you have ruled out the probable and possible then that leaves the impossible.

Hidden down in the centre of the mid section is a 6mm allen bolt. Far too small to be holding engine casings together, I thought. I finally got to the thing and loosened it off in case it was holding a component the other side within the lower leg. However, it does hold the sections. Once it was out, the unit came apart no trouble.

Anyone else doing this job, look for the innocent 6mm allen bolt!

By the way, I was misinformed, the later Mariner 60HP waterway grommets are of a design that seem unlikely to close up. So, the hunt for the cooling issue continues.

Thanks for the help and support.
Cheers Trevor
Old 24 April 2019, 18:02   #6

RIBase
Great sorted sometimes walking away and looking again later works seeing wood for the trees.