Town: North Carolina, USA
Boat name: MissRocks
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50 2 stroke
Where was it in N.C. that you are?

tomas [/QUOTE]

I live in the northwestern corner of N.C., near Virginia and Tennesse in the
Blue Ridge Mountains. I got my SR4 back yesterday with the new composite transom and I am pleased with the result. I hope that transom rot is not occurring in your boat. M-125 is going to have a great boat! I wonder if transom rot is equally prevalent among manufacturers other than Avon. Has anyone ever experienced a catastrophic transom failure?
Just a thought, but Avon might consider training their service stations in transom replacement.
Old 08 January 2007, 00:23   #22

Town: Christiansted.V.I.
Boat name: Froggy
Make: Avon SeaRider
Engine: Johnson 50
It's a small world

Rocks,

Believe it or not I'm going to be in Mouth of Wilson next week. I have friends there and in Konnarock, musicians. You've got quite a haul to get to major water. The only body that comes to mind is the New River but having been through the gorge on a white water raft i doubt you'd want your searider there! I've done the Gauly river as well during a dam release. Got out of that one with only a split lip and sprained wrist...damn lucky if you ask me!

Since other readers likely won't know, the highest earthen dam east of the Mississippi river is out there nearby in West Virginia, better than a hundred feet high. In spring they open the flues to release water and decrease the level of the impoundment. Where one puts in there are four I think six to eight foot tubes shooting water horizontally from the base of the dam for a distance of nearly 50 yards before it strikes the river basin. I can't remember the volume but as you raft down the Gauly toward the New River, you take your life in your hands!!!

Back to the transom...I didn't get around to checking mine today...perhaps I'm not in a hurry to know! My saving grace will likely be the year round sun which would not (I dearly hope) allow moisture to remain. I don't fully understand the dynamics but there is a process known as dry rot as well so I'm not so confident the problem couldn't ocurr here. I've got to agree with someone else's statement that with all the composite non cellulose materials available, plywood is a cheezy way to go.

Anyway...I'll probably having a bit of peach flavor moonshine Monday night...a tribute to the Scotch & Irish that settled those mountains long ago. I'll tip some of the worlds finest illegal whisky for you guys in the old country! Taxes...what's that? Catch us if you can!!!
Old 08 January 2007, 03:05   #23

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
I wonder if transom rot is equally prevalent among manufacturers other than Avon. Has anyone ever experienced a catastrophic transom failure?
A friend of mine bought a 26 ft. (I think it was) walkaround fishing boat to use as a dive boat. Got it off E-Bay for about $10K. Turned out the transom was devoid of wood, and had to be rebuilt. I believe he took the same route, having the void filled with composites. Luckily, E-Bay problem resolution helped out (actually, I think he got around $5K to effect the repair, but spent around $2K.)

So, no, it's not just Avons.

jky
Old 08 January 2007, 17:12   #24

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
A friend of mine bought a 26 ft. (I think it was) walkaround fishing boat to use as a dive boat. Got it off E-Bay for about $10K. Turned out the transom was devoid of wood, and had to be rebuilt. I believe he took the same route, having the void filled with composites. Luckily, E-Bay problem resolution helped out (actually, I think he got around $5K to effect the repair, but spent around $2K.)

So, no, it's not just Avons.

jky
Transom and stringer rot in fiberglass hulled boats of all kinds is a huge problem, I have seen and been on lots and lots of boats that have rot problems. Fixed a 28 ft luhrs I own about two years ago (stringers) and currently have a rot problem with my 26 ft sportcruiser, it has twin i/o's and it is going to be a bitch to fix. I have never heard of someone having a complete and sudden failure of a transom due to rot, though that is probably possible. Manufacturers just aren't careful enough to seal the wood used in boats, it happens to all makes and all brands that use wood, just ask your local marine surveyor. I had a friend who bought a boat a while back for a "steal price". He invited me over to see his new prize, this particular boat was used, about ten years old and I/o powered. I was inspecting, swinging his lower unit side to side checking the gimbal bearing and instantly noticed the transom flexing with the movement of the drive, not good. I grabbed the swim platform and pulled up and down on it and was rewarded with the same result. Conclusion, transom totally shot and stringers were gone as well, that boat never did see the water while in his posession. Check carefully any boat you might be interested in buying, beauty is only "skin deep".
Old 08 January 2007, 23:05   #25

IT IS A SMALL WORLD! after all

[QUOTE=Tomas;180925] Rocks,

Believe it or not I'm going to be in Mouth of Wilson next week. I have friends there and in Konnarock, musicians. You've got quite a haul to get to major water. The only body that comes to mind is the New River but having been through the gorge on a white water raft i doubt you'd want your searider there!
Hi Tomas No I don't want to try out Miss Rocks in the New River, although I have a 4.o meter Avon sib that I will run moderate rapids in on quests for the smallmouth bass. Usually I prefer my Makensie Drift Boat with oars to stay out of trouble.
It's great that you know this area. Are you here often?
Best of both worlds- Sunshine in the Virgin Islands, Moonshine in the New River Valley The music around Konnarock isn't bad,either.
If you ever find yourself in West Jefferson, North Carolina my business location is directly across from the one and only post office. It's the building with the polynesian roof.
Have a safe trip. AJ
Old 16 June 2007, 18:48   #26

Make: Avon SR 5.4
Length: 5m +
Finally got to do some work on the boat. I went for Divinycell in both the deck and transom. HCP70 45mm in the transom and H100 20mm in the deck. With some layers of GRP I am convinced it will be plenty strong enough. I am going to reinfoce the transom with two knees to make it stiffer. What is the best shape for the knees? I had some leftover after cutting the transom plate that I am going to use for the knees. I am thinking it should go straight down from the top of the transom and at a 45 degree angle (or more) down to the hull. I have also seen some other solutions with knees looking like mine does now. What is best when it comes to strength? In my mind a knee going straight gives the best strength.
Old 16 June 2007, 23:31   #27

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Pending
Make: Pending
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchemrocks! View Post
Where was it in N.C. that you are?

tomas
I live in the northwestern corner of N.C., near Virginia and Tennesse in the
Blue Ridge Mountains. I got my SR4 back yesterday with the new composite transom and I am pleased with the result. I hope that transom rot is not occurring in your boat. M-125 is going to have a great boat! I wonder if transom rot is equally prevalent among manufacturers other than Avon. Has anyone ever experienced a catastrophic transom failure?
Just a thought, but Avon might consider training their service stations in transom replacement. [/QUOTE]

Hi,
About 15 years ago i brought a PHANTOM ex-race boat with a 150hp on the back for scrap price, had v-bad transom flex in Totness, England. I had to the same as you & remove the old transom.....i did it with a chainsaw! went in from the top v-carefully leaving original inner & outer glass skins in place then made up a strong mix of resin with a lot of glass strands in it working in a bit each night took about 3 days, then added some knees for extra support. Whole thing was solid as a rock, used the boat for a couple of years with no problems at all & sold it for a profit Yes other boats do suffer.....
Mike.

The Titanic was built by professionals - The Ark was built by one man!
www.aqua-care.co.uk
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2007, 01:23   #28

Hi Spike
Glad to know that your solution worked well. I may have to try it in the future as I can't seem to resist buying old boats. My SR4 is great now. The only problem I have is it's too far to salt water. I'm not familiar with a Phantom but I really admire those Ribcraft 4.8's!