Old 23 March 2006, 10:51   #31

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 60FE -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy
This is an interesting section about how "Big Yellow" came to operate in St. Ives.

1.15 PENWITH DISTRICT COUNCIL AND ST IVES HARBOURMASTERíS
INSTRUCTIONS
Penwith District Council does not have any specific licensing requirements for operations in St Ives harbour. However, as part of his general duties, the harbourmaster issues broad instructions in the form of Codes of Practice to ensure safety within his area of jurisdiction.

A copy of the Code for Fast RIB Operations is at Annex G. In the interest of public safety, the harbourmaster also requires companies carrying fee paying passengers to seek his approval to operate.

The owners of Big Yellow were well known to Penwith District Council and the St Ives harbour harbourmaster. For the past 4-5 years, the skipper of Big Yellow had operated a small company offering low power, self-drive, pleasure boat rides within the confines of St Ives harbour.
The business had been conducted to the harbourmasterís satisfaction. When he was approached to approve the Big Yellowís operation, he confirmed that the Code compliance examination had been completed and that the skipper held the appropriate powerboat qualification. He then recommended to Penwith District Council that the request to operate the Big Yellow pleasure rides should be endorsed.

Shaggy
why are the outboards so small on those speedboats!!??

Old 23 March 2006, 11:02   #32
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyit
I assume they are not meant to plane, just displacement speeds for tourists to hire.
Not every boat has the power to weight ratio of a an Evo 7 Ollie

Old 23 March 2006, 11:14   #33

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4
Engine: Yamaha 60FE -
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
I assume they are not meant to plane, just displacement speeds for tourists to hire.
Not every boat has the power to weight ratio of a an Evo 7 Ollie

ha ha
Old 23 March 2006, 12:00   #34
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Quote:
...but the helsman should not have been putting a group of paying customers (including children) in a situation where stuffing the bow was even remotely possilbe.
I don't agree. Yes - IF you KNOW you are going to stuff it (hmm, right), or conditions mean that you are likely to, but the 2 stuffs I've had have been in quite benign conditions - one of those with passengers.

First stuff - (as I've mentioned elsewhere on here) with wind over tide over the bar at Barmouth on a big spring tide. I'd never seen a stretch of water change so fast in my life, 2-3 ft swell and a F4 going to short steep 10-12 foot breaking waves in less than 20 minutes (while I'd been out). The stuff was slow (low energy) so no-one got thrown around and nothing got damaged, and we drove through it - but I still stuffed it.

Second stuff - driving an Altantic 75 and falling into a 'hole' in the wake patterns of a Mersey class ALB . It was F5/6 and sea conditions were slight - still managed it tho. (In my defence m'lud, I wasn't informed that the bow ballast tank was full, so it didn't behave as I was expecting at that point...and as I was the only one not in a dry-suit - nobody was that bothered...).

Having said that - I don't understand how the skipper could manage to do that without being qualified. I had to jump through hoops to prove to the council that I was.

And my insurance doesn't limit me to 25kts - although my advertising doesn't use the words 'adrenaline', 'ultimate' etc. I think it goes as far as 'Exciting', or maybe even 'Exhilarating' but that's about it...

D...
Old 23 March 2006, 12:28   #35

Town: Hayle, Kernow
Boat name: Spare RIB
Make: Narwhal
Engine: 130 Yam Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollyit
ADS is right Olly, these boats are supposed to go slow, limited to around 3-4 knots I think, never seen one go any faster, its fun weaving in and out of em as you come into St.Ives

Shaggy
Old 24 March 2006, 13:22   #36

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Failures of not only the hull, but of enforcement by Derry in enforcing provisions of Recreational craft directive CE marking (and they are not alone there!). If there is no enforcement/inspection regime then the integrity of the CE mark is down to the manufacturer's conscience alone. Followed by the relevant local authority in the area for not ensuring the qualification requirements were met before allowing the venture.
Old 24 March 2006, 14:57   #37
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength
If there is no enforcement/inspection regime then the integrity of the CE mark is down to the manufacturer's conscience alone.
But isn't that how it works? It was some years ago that I looked into it, but I'm sure that it was basically a self-certification scheme.

John
Old 25 March 2006, 06:50   #38

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Yes but it is the responsibility of the local weights and measures authority to enforce the directive in their area-in effect the trading standards dept. The comment in the report was from memory that the the enforcement was reactive (to complaints ?) and not proactive (routine inspection), so apparently no routine inspection was carried out by enforcement officers to ensure the trader in their area was applying the terms of the directive on each model manufactured and had the documentation to support it.