Old 14 June 2005, 16:27   #1

Town: Portland
Boat name: Lunar Eclipse
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard
MMSI: 338037263
Looking for pics and input RE bombard 730's

I am helping a cousin put together a dive boat and he is looking at a Bombard 730 for use on the Great Lakes (Wisconsin, USA).

It is difficult to find anyone in the States that has a big RIB let alone a Bombard 730. We could use pics of cockpit congurations and dive accessories.

Also, any input from owners regarding their satisfaction and handling of the boat.

Thanks
Tony
Portland, Oregon USA

PS. To squelch the "bombardment" of diatribes regarding the choice of RIB: Yes...he is considering other options for different manufacturers but the Bombard is very reasonably priced.
Old 14 June 2005, 17:38   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Hi, Tony;

Polaris boat designed by a guy in Santa Cruz:

http://polarisboats.com/p/specialized/diving.htm

He opted to go sans tank rack, and go tiller steering. The box hold anchors and loose dive gear. Tanks get strapped to the tubes.

IMO, the big concerns will be dive rig storage (Tanks and BC's flopping around gets old after a bit; dangerous in rougher water), and keeping enough space to get geared up. Also, re-entry can be a problem, especially for smaller and larger divers. Most reasonably fit folks won't have a problem doffing the BC and finning their way over the tubes, but that can be problematic for tiny and heavy divers. Might think about some kind of ladder for reboarding.

jky
Old 14 June 2005, 17:57   #3

Town: Portland
Boat name: Lunar Eclipse
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard
MMSI: 338037263
Have you been on that boat? I saw how they had done that but was curious how secure the tanks would really be in anything more than a couple of feet of chop.

I use a home built (2x4 and plywood) set up and I have to strap it down pretty good if I am in a big chop. When you have 4 divers and 2-dive gear it is a lot of weight to be accelerating if it can move at all.

I found one shop who will put structural inserts into the floor for attaching racks, etc... I haven't seen any pics of the details of their work but they have put together a few really nice dive boats.

Thanks
Tony
Old 14 June 2005, 18:19   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Bombard 730

This is currently up for sale at Pacer Marine 01252 718500. On a twin axle, 200hp Honda Fours Stroke and set up as pics, hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bombard.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	12657  
Old 15 June 2005, 00:37   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasarsailor
Have you been on that boat?
Tony;

I've been on the boat, but while it was on a trailer in the SC mtns.

Seemed pretty roomy, but I thought that the box arrangement was a bit on the overkill side of things. It would make a handy platform for donning the scuba rigs, though.

As far as tying down the rigs, I think he had a couple of ratchet straps per rig, one going from a D-ring on the tube over the tank neck to another D-ring; the other going from a tab on the hull edge, around the tank base to another tab. Seemed to me that it would be pretty secure.

I was thinking of building a rack using a single 2" tube, with slats. The Roll Control system would attach to the slats; figure I can get 6 rigs with a cross-ways mounted rack. One of these days, I guess...

jky