Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo View Post
Hi sameh, if you dont mind me asking how much are you paying for that engine as i have just been quoted £8,265 for the yam f70
£7225 ron hale marine
Old 06 March 2017, 16:26   #62
neo

Town: darlington
Make: Zodiac open pro 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
yes thank you sameh. but the more and more i think about this the more and more i am talking myself down in hp, because i will have 2 uses for the boat one being out with the family so will not be flooring it with the kids and wife on board (unless the sea is like a mil pond which is few and far between) and then there's me taking it out fishing and thinking i dont need a Porsche to go to the corner shop to get a newspaper and now instead of that paper costing 50p its now cost me close to a tenner. omg there is a lot to take in when dealing with all this, i have the money but dont like burning it, so thinking a 50hp would be enough for what i would use it for (on a 5.3mtr) what do you think guys ??
Old 06 March 2017, 16:52   #63

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
yes thank you sameh. but the more and more i think about this the more and more i am talking myself down in hp, because i will have 2 uses for the boat one being out with the family so will not be flooring it with the kids and wife on board (unless the sea is like a mil pond which is few and far between) and then there's me taking it out fishing and thinking i dont need a Porsche to go to the corner shop to get a newspaper and now instead of that paper costing 50p its now cost me close to a tenner. omg there is a lot to take in when dealing with all this, i have the money but dont like burning it, so thinking a 50hp would be enough for what i would use it for (on a 5.3mtr) what do you think guys ??
50hp isn't enough in my opinion. Add in people, fuel and kit and your 5.3 will be sluggish to say the least. There's nothing worse than compromising a new-to-you boat just to come in under budget.

Does it have to be new? Only reason I ask, is you can get a well looked after RIB with a 4-stroke engine for the kind of money you're looking to put together a rib and engine package. Plus, add in electronics, wiring, new trailer and your budget will increase again.

If you have family, then seating is important. I've found getting the family to come out then they want to feel safe and enjoy the experience.

What about a Ribeye Playtime 500? It's 2005 and the Yamaha 80hp won't win any prizes for power, but it's more than adequate, and is perfect for this boat.

It's also got side by side jockeys, something normally found on much larger RIBs. You could have one of your children up front and your wife can be at the transom bench seat with the other kids.

For this kind of money it needs a bit of TLC, but you could get the engine service and the lower leg repainted. Good luck with the search.

https://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=498827
Old 06 March 2017, 17:00   #64

RIBase
I had a quicksilver 500 pilot house with a50 two smoke evinrude performed well with 4 adults swapped to a 60 four stroke yam went like hell so I would say it would suit your needs, boats usually have a minimum hp rating of useful hp talk to the manufacturer
Old 06 March 2017, 17:17   #65

Town: Iksal village
Boat name: C-Scanner
Make: rib520
Engine: suzuki70 df
Quote:
Although new to ribs as i am ordering 5.2 meter Rib just now after having sib, i agree that 50 hp may not be optimal..but as suggested here check max hp for boat..and then decide. Read somewhere that 75% of max hp is the optimal hp.
Goodluck
Old 06 March 2017, 21:10   #66
neo

yes thanks guys the info is awesome and there defo is food for thought and a lot of deliberating time ahead (my head hurts, but my heart longs)
Old 06 March 2017, 21:12   #67
neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
Although new to ribs as i am ordering 5.2 meter Rib just now after having sib, i agree that 50 hp may not be optimal..but as suggested here check max hp for boat..and then decide. Read somewhere that 75% of max hp is the optimal hp.
Goodluck
yes i am new to also coming from a sib but even that ive only head for 1 yr so ive got a big hill to climb
Old 06 March 2017, 21:20   #68
neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
50hp isn't enough in my opinion. Add in people, fuel and kit and your 5.3 will be sluggish to say the least. There's nothing worse than compromising a new-to-you boat just to come in under budget.

Does it have to be new? Only reason I ask, is you can get a well looked after RIB with a 4-stroke engine for the kind of money you're looking to put together a rib and engine package. Plus, add in electronics, wiring, new trailer and your budget will increase again.

If you have family, then seating is important. I've found getting the family to come out then they want to feel safe and enjoy the experience.

What about a Ribeye Playtime 500? It's 2005 and the Yamaha 80hp won't win any prizes for power, but it's more than adequate, and is perfect for this boat.

It's also got side by side jockeys, something normally found on much larger RIBs. You could have one of your children up front and your wife can be at the transom bench seat with the other kids.

For this kind of money it needs a bit of TLC, but you could get the engine service and the lower leg repainted. Good luck with the search.

https://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=498827
No it dont have to be new i am now more inclined to go for a wel looked after second hand boat engine and trailer (complete package) because as you say by the time you tot up all the little extras needed the budget now goes through the roof and thats not what i want, that rib you showed in the link i think would be right up my street i have came across it before but never took that much notice to be fair but yet is wel suited to my needs
Old 06 March 2017, 21:42   #69
neo

here is another boat that would suit me down to the ground (thats if i can copy this link properly)

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/i...660082_img.jpg
Old 06 March 2017, 21:44   #70
neo

RIBs and Inflatable Boats For Sale in Fife | Boats and Outboards
Old 07 March 2017, 02:35   #71

Town: Iksal village
Boat name: C-Scanner
Make: rib520
Engine: suzuki70 df
Quote:
yes i am new to also coming from a sib but even that ive only head for 1 yr so ive got a big hill to climb
[emoji120]
Old 07 March 2017, 12:22   #72

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
a 5.3m rib with 50hp is going to as flat as a fart you will end up fitting a bigger motor on it eventually when I looked at this last year I was told by humber that the 75 I was going to be fitting was going to be slow
Old 07 March 2017, 12:25   #73

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
a 5.3m rib with 50hp is going to as flat as a fart you will end up fitting a bigger motor on it eventually when I looked at this last year I was told by humber that the 75 I was going to be fitting was going to be slow

[emoji106] absolutely nothing worse than an underpowered RIB. It will use more fuel, be potentially dangerous especially in a following sea, low resale value to name a few.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 March 2017, 12:29   #74

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
[emoji106] absolutely nothing worse than an underpowered RIB. It will use more fuel, be potentially dangerous especially in a following sea, low resale value to name a few.
add on to this the amount of crap women and kids need to have a day out you will spend an awful lot of the time looking skyward
Old 07 March 2017, 16:16   #75

RIBase
https://rnli.org/what-we-do/lifeboat...class-lifeboat

What a 50 hp motor can do look in specification.
Old 07 March 2017, 16:49   #76

Town: Alaska
Boat name: Zodiac Hurricane 733
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp - Volvo Diesel
Keep your eyes on craigslist for a Yamaha 90HP 2-stroke. You should be able to pick one up that has been well cared for with (100-500hrs) for $3-5k or even less if you are lucky. I think those are about the best you could get as far as where Reliability, Weight, & Budget Meet.(Only 118kg, Well below your Max)

Bring a Compression Tester and a Battery when you go to look at it so you can turn it over. If Compression is good, you have a long lasting reliable motor.
(Giving you take well care of it)

With a 14x17 Prop, i am certain it will pick you and your family up and carry you close to 30 Knots cruising. If it so happened to be sluggish for you, 15x15 Prop on it and hold on tight cause it will take off from under you. Loosing 3-5 mph of top speed being a minor downfall.
Old 07 March 2017, 17:03   #77
neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
i see what you are saying bud but a the boat has a max of 75hp with a 150kg load limit was its max i could fit. and would struggle to find a 75 under or on that weight limit, i dont need a time machine just something with a little umfhhh, i realy appreciate all your comments and great info
Old 07 March 2017, 19:52   #78

50hp will be gubbins on a 5.3m with 4 adults.

i don't know where this 75% of max HP is optimum came from, that is tosh IMO. the optimum is the max HP rating or as close to it as possible keeping weight limit in mind.

have you asked humber about the weight limit? i'm thinking they may have made a mistake as even a 2 stroke 75hp is going to stuggle to hit that.

i had a 5.6m with 100hp and it was a struggle to get on plane with 4 on it.
Old 07 March 2017, 19:57   #79

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
I might go against the grain here, but don't discount 2-stroke for a mid sized engine. You can always change to 4-stroke when funds allow.

Mid sized 4-strokes are nigh impossible to source second-hand - being either high hours or in poor condition, as they tend to stay with the boat. Suzuki DF70 and Yamaha F60 are great engines, well within weight limitation, frugal, but just try finding them?

The new Yamaha F70 is relatively new, supremely quiet, YCOP immobiliser technology, light and of course frugal, but I doubt you'll get one second hand.

Hey, that's just my tuppence worth.

Buy Used Outboards yamaha 2011 model, elec start, power trim/tilt 75.0HP Outboard at Bill Higham Marine

Or

Buy Used Outboards yamaha 2010 90.0HP Outboard at Bill Higham Marine
Old 07 March 2017, 21:33   #80

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
i see what you are saying bud but a the boat has a max of 75hp with a 150kg load limit was its max i could fit. and would struggle to find a 75 under or on that weight limit, i dont need a time machine just something with a little umfhhh, i realy appreciate all your comments and great info

You need a 90HP Yam 2 stroke, weight 120KG ......