Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 11 March 2012, 19:36   #1
Member
 
Vandad's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 195
Lock for Aux Outboard

Folks, for those who use Aux outboard on outboard bracket, does anyone know where I can purchase a lock suitable for Aux outboard?

As you know the small outboards are not bolted into the bracket and are just clamped to the aux bracket using toggle screws so it is quite difficult to use normal locks available in the market...
__________________

__________________
Vandad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2012, 19:44   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,693
Here you go, simple search on eBay for "Outboard Lock" and you won't go far wrong, here's some examples

FULTON STAINLESS STEEL OUTBOARD ENGINE LOCK. STOP THEFT

http://bit.ly/xkEReM


NEW Outboard Motor Engine Thumb Screw Bar Lock Yamaha

http://bit.ly/xB7RXv

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
__________________

__________________
Boats&Outboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2012, 11:10   #3
Member
 
Daibheid's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Cork
Boat name: Excalibur
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 245
If your clamps don't already have 4/5mm holes at the end of the levers drill some and after you've clamped the engine back on, connect the ends of the two clamp levers with a small padlock. Cheap and effective and doesn't rattle about. Smother the lock with vaseline/grease and open occasionally. You should open frequently anyway to ensure the clamps haven't come loose and I'd always recommend a security leash to catch if from falling off!
__________________
Daibheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2012, 17:08   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,335
Here is a good quality lock!!

Click on the link.

Black Dog Marine boat engines - outboard and inboard diesel and petrol motors installed
__________________
Black Dog Marine
www.blackdogmarine.com
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2012, 17:16   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daibheid
If your clamps don't already have 4/5mm holes at the end of the levers drill some and after you've clamped the engine back on, connect the ends of the two clamp levers with a small padlock. Cheap and effective and doesn't rattle about. Smother the lock with vaseline/grease and open occasionally. You should open frequently anyway to ensure the clamps haven't come loose and I'd always recommend a security leash to catch if from falling off!
Trouble is Ali thumbscrews break easy so a padlock with that method is pretty useless, other than a visual deterrent.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
__________________
Boats&Outboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2012, 19:18   #6
Member
 
Vandad's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 195
The one you guys mentioned don't work on this, have a look at the picture.

I have not yet found a lock suitable for toggle screws...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqRHJBoE7yLOZpbWBO9UGH41fQ~~60_58.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	66221  
__________________
Vandad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2012, 08:20   #7
Member
 
Daibheid's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Cork
Boat name: Excalibur
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Trouble is Ali thumbscrews break easy so a padlock with that method is pretty useless, other than a visual deterrent.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
True if you swing off 'em individually but when they're locked together it makes it very difficult to break one. Determined thieves are hard to stop but anything that slows them down is better than nothing and an aux bracket takes only 4 bolts to remove anyway.
__________________
Daibheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2012, 09:13   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandad
The one you guys mentioned don't work on this, have a look at the picture.

I have not yet found a lock suitable for toggle screws...
The one Rob at BDM linked to should fit that one as it goes down to 4hp ???? Just line the toggles up and slide it over

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
__________________

__________________
Boats&Outboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.