Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Riberty
Make: xs 650
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 175
MMSI: 235063328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post

K&S to be fair to them though - you weren't displaying your number plates - would you expect the police to ignore a car with no number plates?
Yes we did have them on display. (Read original post) they were stuck to the sides of the seats rather than on a board flogging against the tube! We dutifully took the telling off. The ranger who took our details at the slip didnít have a problem with where they were positioned and allowed us to go onto the water. So there doesnít seem to be equal standards does there?

Thatís not really my gripe Polwart. I can reposition my numbers should I ever have to go back.
Itís with the lack of ability and blind eye approach to the policing of bylaws and control of safety at the launch and recover site, two points which are within their remit surely? Thatís what bothers me the most!

Old 20 April 2009, 07:42   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by K&S View Post
Yes we did have them on display. (Read original post) they were stuck to the sides of the seats rather than on a board flogging against the tube! We dutifully took the telling off. The ranger who took our details at the slip didnít have a problem with where they were positioned and allowed us to go onto the water. So there doesnít seem to be equal standards does there?
Sorry I read your post - as saying that you weren't displaying the numbers correctly - when you say stuck to the side of the seats: I guess from another boat they are probably obscured by your tubes? But I agree its not easy to find a practical solution which actually works on a boat travelling at speed, especially if you don't have an a frame.

Everyone hates being told they are in the wrong - and I suspect that is what got your back up. Of course you could vent your frustration at the NPA rather than here - and it might have some effect (although that will probably mean that next time you want to reverse you trailer down the slip you'll have to fill in a risk assessment first etc.) - sometimes it is may be better to pretend that the current system of controls is effective than invite the management to increase control!
Old 20 April 2009, 08:39   #13

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
I fully agree with K&S feeling of double standards - I've never been to the place in question but feel that a lot of these type of situations are caused by having just a little bit of power & wanting to demonstate that fact to the easiest victim.

If there had been no numbers on show then maybe - but it reads as if there was a clear intention to do everything right - but then being picked up not once , but twice for in essence a meaningless ' offence ', while other just ignored everything ( including common sense) and were laft alone to cause what sounds like a far more dangerous scenario than not displaying some numbers !
Old 20 April 2009, 12:55   #14

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt View Post
Fairly standard for the ďauthorityĒ to pick on the law abiding but technically illegal.
I know what you're trying to say, but isn't your statement an oxymoron?

jky
Old 21 April 2009, 10:21   #15

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
I think you know what he means.