Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 29 June 2014, 19:33   #11
Member
 
The Grocer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Kildonan, Arran
Boat name: Cowal (& Bennan)
Make: Quinquari Humber/RC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF150/DF175x2
MMSI: 235036953
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 296
No floating ropes; I don't care about you losing your creels - I do care about losing my boat and passengers. I have dealt with amateurs and I have dealt with professionals on this subject - and I will continue to do so, and win on grounds of safety at sea. Everyone else's right to safe passage beats your right to a "free" supper.
__________________

__________________
Russell
The Grocer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 01:00   #12
Member
 
stevedonna's Avatar
 
Town: Belper
Boat name: Ey up mi duck
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grocer View Post
No floating ropes; I don't care about you losing your creels - I do care about losing my boat and passengers. I have dealt with amateurs and I have dealt with professionals on this subject - and I will continue to do so, and win on grounds of safety at sea. Everyone else's right to safe passage beats your right to a "free" supper.

Don't really want to piss folk off trying to catch some grub . So if I used a sinking rope or a rope with a weight on it 2 m from the pot as someone has suggested , would that keep you happy ?

If I then cast it with just enough rope at high tide would that help prevent too much slack and therefore snagging ?

Sorry for delay sent thread then fell asleep !


Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
__________________

__________________
stevedonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 01:12   #13
Member
 
stevedonna's Avatar
 
Town: Belper
Boat name: Ey up mi duck
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
FFS .. round these parts you dont have to worry about pleasure cruisers snagging ropes .. cos the only place to catch lobsters is on inland bays around shallow tidal shore lines

now .. the rule is yo DOO want floating rope and put floats on it to help because it will snag in the tangle if you dont

when you cast a pot .. the tide will roll it back and forth .. so you need a rope that keeps it straight up

see ...... another lobster fishing gem this forum owes me a fekin fortune

When you say snag in the tangle . What do you mean ?


Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
__________________
stevedonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 02:55   #14
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grocer View Post
No floating ropes; I don't care about you losing your creels - I do care about losing my boat and passengers. I have dealt with amateurs and I have dealt with professionals on this subject - and I will continue to do so, and win on grounds of safety at sea. Everyone else's right to safe passage beats your right to a "free" supper.
Round the coastline I'm talking about its very rocky, so the farthest from the shore any rope would be is about 20 yards to get the pot in the correct tidal range ... if you can get a RIB doing any speed in there .. it wouldn't be the rope you need to worry about
__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 03:04   #15
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedonna View Post
When you say snag in the tangle . What do you mean ?


Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
If its its a rocky coastline on the west .. the tide and wind can generate a fair amount of wash back and forth close to the shore, which is usually where you need to set the pot ... having a rope that comes straight up helps to give you more length to recover it, because it may be that you didnt drop it on a flat bottom, and the wash/backwash will move the pot around for a while before it settles.

Obviously doing this in the middle of a bay with lots of fast craft moving about is not a good idea and will seriously annoy any skippers .. but thats not usually the best place to fish anyway.
__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 03:55   #16
Member
 
stevedonna's Avatar
 
Town: Belper
Boat name: Ey up mi duck
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
If its its a rocky coastline on the west .. the tide and wind can generate a fair amount of wash back and forth close to the shore, which is usually where you need to set the pot ... having a rope that comes straight up helps to give you more length to recover it, because it may be that you didnt drop it on a flat bottom, and the wash/backwash will move the pot around for a while before it settles.

Obviously doing this in the middle of a bay with lots of fast craft moving about is not a good idea and will seriously annoy any skippers .. but thats not usually the best place to fish anyway.


Makes sense so if I buy some floating rope and weight it 2m down from the float and keep it away from main runs I should be fine ?



Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
__________________
stevedonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 04:37   #17
Member
 
The Grocer's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Kildonan, Arran
Boat name: Cowal (& Bennan)
Make: Quinquari Humber/RC
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF150/DF175x2
MMSI: 235036953
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 296
When I'm moving slowly close to the rocky stuff in a bit of a chop - could be wildlife tours, could be lighthouse engineers - the last thing I need is 10m of lorry string (marked by a weed-covered milk bottle) round my props. Most folk hereabouts understand that if I come across such gear, it will be recycled. If it's a commercial string badly set up, a call to Marine Scotland usually has beneficial results.
(I did have an interesting conversation with a Duty Manager in a Coastguard Ops room - turns out the CG will only get involved after the event. "We're just a co-ordination service - we can't prevent this sort of thing." Good job the same opinion doesn't apply to Coded Vessels, isn't it?)
__________________
Russell
The Grocer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 04:44   #18
Member
 
stevedonna's Avatar
 
Town: Belper
Boat name: Ey up mi duck
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grocer View Post
When I'm moving slowly close to the rocky stuff in a bit of a chop - could be wildlife tours, could be lighthouse engineers - the last thing I need is 10m of lorry string (marked by a weed-covered milk bottle) round my props. Most folk hereabouts understand that if I come across such gear, it will be recycled. If it's a commercial string badly set up, a call to Marine Scotland usually has beneficial results.
(I did have an interesting conversation with a Duty Manager in a Coastguard Ops room - turns out the CG will only get involved after the event. "We're just a co-ordination service - we can't prevent this sort of thing." Good job the same opinion doesn't apply to Coded Vessels, isn't it?)

Okay so given that I fancy a go at catching my own lobster and am going to . I am also clearly trying to do it without causing to much hassle to others . How do you recommend I set it up ?


Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
__________________
stevedonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 15:20   #19
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedonna View Post
Okay so given that I fancy a go at catching my own lobster and am going to . I am also clearly trying to do it without causing to much hassle to others . How do you recommend I set it up ?


Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
Use sinking line with a clearly marked bouy preferably with a flag and you won't be upsetting anyone. Avoid the spots where commercial guys are working too. Make sure there is enough line that even at high tide it will still be above the water.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2014, 15:52   #20
Member
 
stevedonna's Avatar
 
Town: Belper
Boat name: Ey up mi duck
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Use sinking line with a clearly marked bouy preferably with a flag and you won't be upsetting anyone. Avoid the spots where commercial guys are working too. Make sure there is enough line that even at high tide it will still be above the water.

Okay thanks for all your help .

Just one last question in terms of a clearly marked bouy do you think a full fat milk carton would be better than semi skimmed and when you say flag presumably you mean the tractor sign flag on it .





Sent from my iPad using RIB Net
__________________

__________________
stevedonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.