Old 19 July 2007, 18:21   #1

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
< Edit: Split from this thread JK >

If it was a lobster pot marker I hope someone will start making the things a bit more visible. Around here they use old black oil containers amongst other things and some of the white ones are hard to see because they are so old and covered in all sorts of crap.

Very occasionally you see one with a flag on and as for at night forget seeing it.

I think the thing I hit south of the IOW earlier this year was a submerged pot marker. Quite often you see them just below the surface because the rope is to short.
Old 19 July 2007, 19:09   #2

Town: Bristol
Engine: Yamaha
went out for the first time today, near Salcombe and came across some lobster pots,2 litre transparent coke bottles!!
Old 19 July 2007, 19:15   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
went out for the first time today, near Salcombe and came across some lobster pots,2 litre transparent coke bottles!!
Novel and dangerous. Does anyone Police these things and if so why aren't they doing their job
Old 19 July 2007, 19:28   #4
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
The main reason for not marking them properly is that if they are marked in an obvious way - other people pull them up and nick the contents!! Last year there were loads of 'amateurs' setting pots with plastic black 5 litre oil bottles, using black floating lines, so that people wouldn't see them...

I thought that the theiving from the pots was just an excuse until I was coming down the coast in thick fog last year, and passed several small speedboats, and a fair proportion of them were engaged in robbing the pots.

The local lobsterman has told me that his losses have dropped hugely since I've been operating in the area that he sets his pots - the fact that there is regularly a boat going through the area keeps most of the theives off. The by-product of that is he doesn't want me to hit his pot lines either - so now he marks them very clearly - and so everyone is happy!!

D...
Old 19 July 2007, 19:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR View Post
The local lobsterman has told me that his losses have dropped hugely since I've been operating in the area that he sets his pots - the fact that there is regularly a boat going through the area keeps most of the theives off. The by-product of that is he doesn't want me to hit his pot lines either - so now he marks them very clearly - and so everyone is happy!!

D...

Its the Solent I'm on about. Hardly Mary Celeste country.
Old 19 July 2007, 19:55   #6
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Its the Solent I'm on about. Hardly Mary Celeste country.
OK - not as busy as the Solent - but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. Often they are purposely badly marked to stop light fingered gits from nicking them.

THAT was my point.

And besides, should you ever feel the need to venture out of the Solent - you might like to know that badly marked pots are a fact of life......

D...
Old 19 July 2007, 20:09   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR View Post
And besides, should you ever feel the need to venture out of the Solent - you might like to know that badly marked pots are a fact of life......

D...
Thats as maybe. Doesn't mean we should have to put up with them though.

NR.
Old 21 July 2007, 19:27   #8

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Endless bloddy things outside mudeford - small dark bouys - vanish in more than a 5cm sea !

Usaully seen about 5 secs before hitting them and have to swerve hard to avoid them . They should have bigger bouys & these should be kept clean !

Just dont eat lobster - no need for the pots !
Old 22 July 2007, 06:44   #9

Town: Vectis Isle
Boat name: REEF
Length: 6m +
MMSI: 235064495
CHIRP Comment: Thirteen reports of encounters with fishing gear were received in 2006; bringing the total to forty-eight since the data collection initiative by the RYA commenced in 2003.
As in previous years, CHIRP will collate the reports received and send them to the MCA, MAIB, NFFO and RYA for consideration with their own data. The following “disidentified” reports are good examples of the types of incident reported involving pot markers.

I think ther is a move on the tabel now to make pot marking moor accountable
seem to remember it being talked about befor on here ?
Old 22 July 2007, 09:02   #10

Town: Torrance
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUMPY View Post
CHIRP Comment: Thirteen reports of encounters with fishing gear were received in 2006; bringing the total to forty-eight since the data collection initiative by the RYA commenced in 2003.
As in previous years, CHIRP will collate the reports received and send them to the MCA, MAIB, NFFO and RYA for consideration with their own data. The following “disidentified” reports are good examples of the types of incident reported involving pot markers.

I think ther is a move on the tabel now to make pot marking moor accountable
seem to remember it being talked about befor on here ?
48 reports in about 48 months = 1 a month...

Thats not many reports considering the number of lobster fisherman and pots there are in the country, especially if you consider the fact that they may well be making crad pots, whelk pots, etc. and then add those fishermen into the equation.

SDG
Old 22 July 2007, 10:37   #11

Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Yamaha 70
MMSI: 235057234
Its not the licensed fisherman that cause all of the problems its the illegal fishing that obviously doesn't work under regulations thats a big part of it! illegal fishing is a big problem in some areas. unlicensed and Illegal gill netting is also common place on some parts of our coast which is a hazard to surfers and boats The licensed fisherman who are trying to earn a living, paying all of their taxes and trying to work under regulations often get a bad name through no fault of their own, Tighter laws on illegal fishing is whats needed before the guys that try and earn an honest living are bombarded with more legislation.
Old 22 July 2007, 12:20   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tims Osprey View Post
Tighter laws on illegal fishing is whats needed before the guys that try and earn an honest living are bombarded with more legislation.

I should imagine all the laws are in place. Its probably down to the fact they are not enforced.

NR.
Old 22 July 2007, 12:59   #13

Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Yamaha 70
MMSI: 235057234
Quote:
I should imagine all the laws are in place. Its probably down to the fact they are not enforced.

NR.
Yer your probably right, i guess thats what i meant in a round about way
Old 22 July 2007, 13:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles

NR.
Quote:
Yer your probably right, i guess thats what i meant in a round about way
That depends which part of the coast you're on!

SDG.
Old 22 July 2007, 13:29   #15

SDG,

Are you saying that you have sufficent enforcement in your area. If so can you get a piccy of a Proper Lobster Pot Marker ?

NR.
Old 22 July 2007, 13:44   #16

Looks like this is an ongoing thread over at YBW.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.p...ge=0&fpart=all

NR.
Old 22 July 2007, 15:46   #17

Town: Vectis Isle
Boat name: REEF
Length: 6m +
MMSI: 235064495
Quote:
Its not the licensed fisherman that cause all of the problems its the illegal fishing that obviously doesn't work under regulations thats a big part of it! illegal fishing is a big problem in some areas. unlicensed and Illegal gill netting is also common place on some parts of our coast which is a hazard to surfers and boats The licensed fisherman who are trying to earn a living, paying all of their taxes and trying to work under regulations often get a bad name through no fault of their own, Tighter laws on illegal fishing is whats needed before the guys that try and earn an honest living are bombarded with more legislation.
The licensed fisherman in the solent are the problum in my opinon black cans covered in weed that sit just below the surface at the top of the tide
A sploge of white paint would help them and us at no great cost
You always had a float with flag on it Atatched by a short line so it didint get draged down in a tide rip
Some were a bit rough & ready but at lest you could see them
Old 22 July 2007, 17:01   #18

Quote:
SDG,

Are you saying that you have sufficent enforcement in your area. If so can you get a piccy of a Proper Lobster Pot Marker ?

NR.
Er, sort of! I was talking more generally about the enforcement of fisheries legislation though.

The MCA do publish a leaflet with 'suggested' ways of marking fishing gear but I don't believe there is an actual law regarding it. Obviously as in Portsmouth there are local bylaws in force regulating gear positioning and marking.

Most of the local sea fisheries committees have various permit schemes, especially for shellfish and usually part of the terms of the issue of the permit require identification of the owner on them - often the vessel licence number.

If you believe the fishing is illegal or by unlicensed boats/divers/etc. then a call to the local committee often works wonders. For example in Sussex under local byelaws you can only take 2 lobsters per person per day unless you have a permit which is only issued to licenced fishing boats. Also hauling other peoples pots to remove the catch is theft and the police, with sufficent eveidence, will treat it seriously. Record boat names, numbers, colours, times, positions, number of people on board, etc.

Also only buy from reputable outlets so you don't support the illegal fishing. (You have to be registered with DEFRA to sell fish to the public.)

One of the problems with large markers, with lights/radar reflectors is mostly cost and of course the other on a lot of the smaller boats is space available on board. Also another problem is line length - too long and it lays on the surface at slack water (although leaded line is an option the cost is a factor again), too short and the markers sit below the surface in the current or at high water.

Best look out, avoiding known areas - especially tight inshore in rocky areas and rope cutters is the best option.

SDG.

PS I m not a fisherman before anyone suggests it!
Old 22 July 2007, 17:52   #19

I could only find Bye Laws regarding pot marking for the UK.

I suppose it would help if the Bye Law enforcers got off their back sides and did some enforcing. Probably too busy doing some useless Diversity Training or other pointless Target driven task.
Old 22 July 2007, 18:02   #20

Quote:
I could only find Bye Laws regarding pot marking for the UK.

I suppose it would help if the Bye Law enforcers got off their back sides and did some enforcing. Probably too busy doing some useless Diversity Training or other pointless Target driven task.
True!

But I assure you that sea fisheries byelaws are rigourously enforced in Sussex!

SDG