Old 21 August 2010, 06:15   #11
RIBnet supporter
Town: Bushey & La Bretagne
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
Why not just take the tubes off, I'm pretty the Pro open of that age had the removable tube system, simply deflate, remove the straps and slide off (use washing up liquid as lube ) the you can see better as to whether the hull and deck are de laminating or find the holes that are causing this leakage.

Just to clarify is it both the topside deck (where you stand) AND the hull cavity that fill with water?
gotchiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2010, 07:49   #12
Town: Hooksett
Boat name: Endeavour
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Outboard
Leaking Zodiac

It's primarily the hull cavity that's filling with water. Yes, I believe I can slide the tubes off.
Will it be obvious visually that the deck is separating from the hull? If it turns out to be separated, is this a " relatively " easy fix or is it a major ( and costly ) repair?

waterboy120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2010, 08:09   #13
Town: Cannes
Boat name: midkat 550
Make: apoge
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2x50 Tohatsu
the grp boat is made by assembling the hull (bottom part) to the deck part, and there is probably a broken section somewhere around the assembly line, which opens when you ride, and leaves the water going through.

First you should remove the pontoon as indicated, then carefully check to find where it is broken.
Depending on where the defect stays, it could be relatively easy to repair, using a liquid epoxy which foams, and seals even under water - but better to dry before ...!
yorfuoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2010, 08:34   #14
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
I'd be wary filling up the hull completely with water. I know of one guy that left his cover off a fibreglass hardboat and the drain plug in and over the winter the hull filled up to the brim with rainwater.
The rollers came right through the hull due to the weight of all the water!
Trailer failure is the second problem with that method.

If possible, though, partially filling the boat and then using a jack on different sides may get the water to cover the leasking area. Nose, port, starboard.

I'd suspect something towards the back if it's filling at high speed. The nose of the boat will largely be out of the water when running at a decent speed.

jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2010, 12:57   #15
Town: Cork
Boat name: Excalibur
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
A friend had a newish rib that had a similar problem and was ready to set fire to it with frustration so I had a go at it. I plugged an air pump into the transom bung and started pumping air into it and then stood by with the washing up liquid solution. In the end I only had to listen and found a cracked area which when flexed a certain way would allow a lot of water in.

It was a quick and easy GRP fix albeit not an invisible one. I hope this helps you.
Daibheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2010, 13:25   #16
Town: Quebec city
Make: Zodiac hurricane
Engine: Yamaha
sinking pro open 650

I don't know if you fixed you "suicidal boat" issue but I think I might help. We've encountered the same problem on few Pro's and Pro Open's before. The problem comes from the deck drain outlet on transom, the caulking (or gasket) behind the one way valve (part number #Z60033) is not good and has to be redone with Sikaflex or 3M 5200.

Hope it helps.

Uploaded with
Boulet Lemelin Yacht inc.
1125 boul. Champlain
Québec QC G1K 0A2 Canada
achille2124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2011, 04:06   #17
Length: 5m +
to TS: Did you work this out, or is there any development in the matter? I have a brand new Zodiac Pro 12 with a mysterious water leak in the hull. I'm looking for tips to where to start looking...
josoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2011, 11:19   #18
Town: Port Logan
Boat name: Red Fox
Make: Zodiac Pro 500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 70hp
MMSI: 232004329
Water could be getting in through the deck drain and then passing through the hull into the void below via a badly fitting bilge pump/locker box or any other bit of kit screwed to the hull. Put the plug into the deck drain and see if that fettles the water ingress. Unless all the deck fittings have been sealed around the screws/bolts etc then this could be the problem. OR the bow locker may be cracked inside and as water can splash up between the bow tube fitting and the bow itself, it will then drain into the hull. Good hunting.
Red Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2011, 13:49   #19
Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Could it be getting in through a Tow Eye on the bow or any other fitting ,,we had a boat that let gallons into the bilge resealed the bolts and cured it though it sounds a bit more on your boat ,

m chappelow is offline   Reply With Quote