Click Here to Login

Old 21 August 2010, 01:19   #1

Town: Hooksett
Boat name: Endeavour
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Leaking Zodiac Pro wants to commit suicide

I've acquired a 2005 Zodiac Pro 650 with an Envinrude 150 that is determined to sink itself in the middle of my harbor. This boat takes on water like mad and I've looked everywhere ( short of taking the tubes off of it ) for leaks. After running around on the water for 2 or 3 hours this boat will take on close to a hundred gallons ( or more ! ) of water. ( I pull the drain plug and it'll run for almost twenty minutes )Add a clogged bilge pump, come down off of plane and bingo I've got a boat that thinks it's a porpoise! Thank goodness for those inflatable tubes! I've partially filled the hull with a water hose, hardly a drip. At certain speeds I can get a steady spray up between the tube and the port corner of the transom. I can see a little of that working its way under the seat and into the bilge but I don't think that's doing it. ( I don't notice any difference between the port or starboard tubes at the transom, they both appear to be intact and connected to the hull. I've tilted the boat on a trailer and drained every last drop and then taken it out on the water and voila,full of water again. I love the boat, but obviously at this point, it's too dangerous to use. Does anybody have any suggestions? This boat is my first RIB and I've fallen in love with it but it's determined to sink itself!
Old 21 August 2010, 01:29   #2

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
I don't know what the Zodiac design is like but on some boats - the Vipermax is one - I think if there was a leak between the hull and tube in the stern corner it could allow a lot of water in through the transom boxes (which are open if you take the tubes off) and this would end up running down into the hull. Maybe the Zodiac is suffering from a similar problem?

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2010, 01:43   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Does it take on water when at rest?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2010, 02:07   #4

Leaking Zodiac Pro wants to commit suicide

You'll have to forgive me, this is the first time I've participated in a forum and I haven't the faintest idea what I'm doing. I put the boat in a slow moving river last week and stayed close to the dock for a while just doing slow circles. I didn't see any water in the bilge so I took a couple of high speed runs down the river. I did notice the bilge pump "cycled" a few times. When I got it back on the trailer and pulled the drain plug it drained for a good 10 minutes! Other than the spray coming up between the port tube and the transom from time to time I couldn't explain how i took on that much water in such a short time.
Old 21 August 2010, 07:56   #5

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
look at it logically, water is getting in, get it on the trailer and fill it up with water and see where it's coming OUT
Old 21 August 2010, 08:18   #6
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
look at it logically, water is getting in, get it on the trailer and fill it up with water and see where it's coming OUT
He says he's already done that.

Is your bilge pump and auto one, or one on a float switch? If it's on a float switch, then when it cycles you know that water has gotten in somewhere.

Put it on the water, leave it there for a while, and then take it out and see how much water has got in. If there is a lot of water, you'll know it's getting in through the tubes/hull of the boat, rather than shipping it over the side when you are moving. If there isn't much, then it's probably coming in over the top!!
Old 21 August 2010, 08:30   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR View Post
He says he's already done that.
I read it that he'd stuck a hose on the deck and partially filled up the boat from the top. I think biffer is suggesting sticking the hose (tightly) in the drain bung and leaving it running until it comes out somewhere - its not a small leak he's got it should be fairly obvious.
Old 21 August 2010, 09:31   #8

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I'd be wary filling up the hull completely with water. I know of one guy that left his cover off a fibreglass hardboat and the drain plug in and over the winter the hull filled up to the brim with rainwater.
The rollers came right through the hull due to the weight of all the water!
Old 21 August 2010, 09:40   #9

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
it sounds like when at rest and manual filling is not producing the leak so to speak, so i would look at the hypolon (or whatever) cladding, its likely the water is forced up under the rubbing strake and into the hull.
Old 21 August 2010, 10:34   #10

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
polwart's right, we had a boat in with similar problem, we found the deck had delamned from the hull, from the outside it looked ok because the tube were still attached to the hull, from the inside the tubes were still attached to the deck, the water was finding it's way along the attachment strap from the transom and filling the hull up, poking a hose up the hole for a little while won't do it, and i hope our usa friend has a better built boat than the one that ate the trailer rollers, didn't sound like he looked after it anyway
Old 21 August 2010, 11:15   #11
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Why not just take the tubes off, I'm pretty the Pro open of that age had the removable tube system, simply deflate, remove the straps and slide off (use washing up liquid as lube ) the you can see better as to whether the hull and deck are de laminating or find the holes that are causing this leakage.

Just to clarify is it both the topside deck (where you stand) AND the hull cavity that fill with water?
Old 21 August 2010, 12:49   #12

Leaking Zodiac

It's primarily the hull cavity that's filling with water. Yes, I believe I can slide the tubes off.
Will it be obvious visually that the deck is separating from the hull? If it turns out to be separated, is this a " relatively " easy fix or is it a major ( and costly ) repair?
Old 21 August 2010, 13:09   #13

Town: Cannes
Boat name: midkat 550
Make: apoge
Engine: 2x50 Tohatsu
the grp boat is made by assembling the hull (bottom part) to the deck part, and there is probably a broken section somewhere around the assembly line, which opens when you ride, and leaves the water going through.

First you should remove the pontoon as indicated, then carefully check to find where it is broken.
Depending on where the defect stays, it could be relatively easy to repair, using a liquid epoxy which foams, and seals even under water - but better to dry before ...!
Old 21 August 2010, 13:34   #14

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
I'd be wary filling up the hull completely with water. I know of one guy that left his cover off a fibreglass hardboat and the drain plug in and over the winter the hull filled up to the brim with rainwater.
The rollers came right through the hull due to the weight of all the water!
Trailer failure is the second problem with that method.

If possible, though, partially filling the boat and then using a jack on different sides may get the water to cover the leasking area. Nose, port, starboard.

I'd suspect something towards the back if it's filling at high speed. The nose of the boat will largely be out of the water when running at a decent speed.

Luck;

jky
Old 27 August 2010, 17:57   #15

Town: Cork
Boat name: Cúr na dDonnta
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
A friend had a newish rib that had a similar problem and was ready to set fire to it with frustration so I had a go at it. I plugged an air pump into the transom bung and started pumping air into it and then stood by with the washing up liquid solution. In the end I only had to listen and found a cracked area which when flexed a certain way would allow a lot of water in.

It was a quick and easy GRP fix albeit not an invisible one. I hope this helps you.
Old 11 November 2010, 18:25   #16

Town: Quebec city
Make: Zodiac hurricane
Engine: Yamaha
sinking pro open 650

I don't know if you fixed you "suicidal boat" issue but I think I might help. We've encountered the same problem on few Pro's and Pro Open's before. The problem comes from the deck drain outlet on transom, the caulking (or gasket) behind the one way valve (part number #Z60033) is not good and has to be redone with Sikaflex or 3M 5200.

Hope it helps.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
educhesne@blyacht.com
achille2124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2011, 09:06   #17

to TS: Did you work this out, or is there any development in the matter? I have a brand new Zodiac Pro 12 with a mysterious water leak in the hull. I'm looking for tips to where to start looking...
Regards
Jorn
Norway
Old 14 July 2011, 16:19   #18

Town: Port Logan
Boat name: Red Fox
Make: Zodiac Pro 500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 70hp
MMSI: 232004329
Water could be getting in through the deck drain and then passing through the hull into the void below via a badly fitting bilge pump/locker box or any other bit of kit screwed to the hull. Put the plug into the deck drain and see if that fettles the water ingress. Unless all the deck fittings have been sealed around the screws/bolts etc then this could be the problem. OR the bow locker may be cracked inside and as water can splash up between the bow tube fitting and the bow itself, it will then drain into the hull. Good hunting.
Old 14 July 2011, 18:49   #19

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Engine: tohatsu
Could it be getting in through a Tow Eye on the bow or any other fitting ,,we had a boat that let gallons into the bilge resealed the bolts and cured it though it sounds a bit more on your boat ,