Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Orca
Make: Zodiac Pro
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner
Send a message via MSN to Julie
Launching at Lochinver

Hi,

Question about the slipway at Lochinver……

Thinking of launching there next week and I’ve had a look round for a slipway before - I spotted a very steep thin one. Which maybe ok on ropes or my trailer winch, but I just wondered if anyone else has launched there………

I’ve done the usual - checked Boat launch (none listed), searched on here (no comments on actual launching there), looked at the harbour authority (no slipway mentioned)….

Has anyone launched at Lochinver before, and if so, where from?

Thanks
Julie
Old 25 April 2010, 07:41   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Julie,

Highland council believe there is a slip at Lochinver: http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonly...facilities.pdf and suggest the Harbour Master as the contact.
Old 25 April 2010, 13:21   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post

Highland council believe there is a slip at Lochinver: http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonly...facilities.pdf and suggest the Harbour Master as the contact.
Thanks.... there is definately one there as I've seen it. I was just wondering how people coped as it looked tricky.

This web sites good too:
http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourenvir...verharbour.htm

Julie
Old 25 April 2010, 13:32   #4

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I haven't actually used it but it looked OK to me for launching when I stayed for a week in Lochinver a few years ago. It is quite steep and only usable above mid tide or so but I would use it without any worries. It was a nice concrete one.
I assume the steepness issue is because of the launching vehicle?
Old 25 April 2010, 18:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
I haven't actually used it but it looked OK to me for launching when I stayed for a week in Lochinver a few years ago. It is quite steep and only usable above mid tide or so but I would use it without any worries. It was a nice concrete one.
I assume the steepness issue is because of the launching vehicle?
It was also a bit weedy last year.

I prefer to launch with ropes or winch as I find it more manoeuvrable, especially new slipways……

I once watched some blokes launch their RIB, trailer, AND 4X4 off a steep weedy slipway even after offering them my ropes (they probably thought female – no idea )!
I think they thought I was too cautious even though I launched successfully!
Annoying thing was, I never said ‘I told you so’ as I was in deep shock at the event unfolding, AND they blocked the slipway so I couldn’t recover! Hence I’m a bit careful, and do what I know best!

So.... I thought I’d check on here if anyone had experience of the Lochinver one.
Another one I haven’t tried up there is Scourie. Looks ok, slim, but I’ve never seen it with water on/near it…. Defo one for a high tide.
Old 25 April 2010, 18:44   #6

Town: Leeds
Boat name: Bam Bam
Make: Zodiac YL-380-DL
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard, petrol, 40
I hear the midges are real big at Lochinver Julie, and if you leave the boat on the trailer near the water for long enough they will pick the boat up and drop it in for you.
Old 25 April 2010, 19:00   #7

That would be handy... I could go off and file my nails, by the time I finish it'll be magically in the water.

Sadly there should be no midges, I go up there in May to avoid the blighters
Old 25 April 2010, 20:09   #8

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
It was also a bit weedy last year.

I prefer to launch with ropes or winch as I find it more manoeuvrable, especially new slipways……

I once watched some blokes launch their RIB, trailer, AND 4X4 off a steep weedy slipway even after offering them my ropes (they probably thought female – no idea )!
I think they thought I was too cautious even though I launched successfully!
Annoying thing was, I never said ‘I told you so’ as I was in deep shock at the event unfolding, AND they blocked the slipway so I couldn’t recover! Hence I’m a bit careful, and do what I know best!

So.... I thought I’d check on here if anyone had experience of the Lochinver one.
Another one I haven’t tried up there is Scourie. Looks ok, slim, but I’ve never seen it with water on/near it…. Defo one for a high tide.
Nothing wrong with launching with ropes. Easier with two people, but at least you have peace of mind that you're not going to compromise your boat or your car by trying a tricky manouvre on a slip you don't have knowledge of.
Old 25 April 2010, 20:46   #9

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
There is a half decent beach launch at Ullapool and a half decent slip at Achiltibuie.
If you want weedy slips you ought to try the one on the front at Dunoon. It is green and so slippy you can't actually walk across it........
Old 26 April 2010, 05:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
There is a half decent beach launch at Ullapool and a half decent slip at Achiltibuie.
If you want weedy slips you ought to try the one on the front at Dunoon. It is green and so slippy you can't actually walk across it........
Yes I stay in Ullapool for the week. I usually launch there a couple of times off the slip, I used the beach once when I'd over estimated the tide and there's a stream at low water so a great big gully in the gravel. Least it means you have the opportunity to have a plan B

I usually launch at Kylesku & Loch Ewe too.
The one at north Loch Ewe is brilliant, but well hidden. There's also a very green one on the south of Loch Ewe - which is where accidents happen!
Old 26 April 2010, 11:32   #11

Town: blackburn
Boat name: Hornet
Make: XS Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 150
Have a look on Google Earth street view. there is a good view of the slip 58° 8'50.49"N 5°14'30.42"W

It is steep and a bit awkward, but it is concrete all the way. You can't use it at low tide since the bottom uncovers but anything half tide upwards is OK. Watch the approach by boat - rocks - so keep to the harbour wall side.

Top half is quite weed free. There is usually quite a lot of junk pilled around from the small storesheds at the top of the slip. Either that or someone repairing a fishing boat on it.
Old 26 April 2010, 14:01   #12

Town: Ardnamurchan
Boat name: Out of the Blue
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha 100
MMSI: 235 079 253
Hi Julie,

Don't forget to post some information on Boatlaunch if you get around to using the slipway.
Old 26 April 2010, 16:43   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeH View Post
Have a look on Google Earth street view. there is a good view of the slip 58° 8'50.49"N 5°14'30.42"W

It is steep and a bit awkward, but it is concrete all the way. You can't use it at low tide since the bottom uncovers but anything half tide upwards is OK. Watch the approach by boat - rocks - so keep to the harbour wall side.

Top half is quite weed free. There is usually quite a lot of junk pilled around from the small storesheds at the top of the slip. Either that or someone repairing a fishing boat on it.
Thanks for that. I assume you've used it? Maps is good to view it.

I also called the harbour master, he reckons 2 hours each way of high tide (it's neep when I'm up there) so I'm quite happy now....

The one at Scourie is also on maps... out of the water as usual ......

And yes, I'll take some pics and stick on Boatlaunch, always handy as I check there first when I'm launching for the first time at a slipway. (Good advertisement? )

Julie