Old 24 July 2018, 03:49   #1

Town: Victoria
Length: 3m +
Just bought my first RIB!

Just picked up my first RIB yesterday for really cheap!

The only problem I have is that there is a leak in one of the tubes, and I cant figure out if its PVC or Hypalon! I think its PVC because it has full taped seams, and I put some acetone on it and it cleaned it very fast, but it wasnt super tacky so I am not sure.

I put a dab of acetone where you see the very white spot, and I rubbed a bit below it as well. It also looks like at some point someone has painted this boat? what is that about?

Here is a picture of what I think is paint for your pleasure or displeasure haha. Any advice on how to clean this thing up would be amazing!

Also, a side note, some dummy decided to spray flex seal onto the tubes to try to fix a leak, so now I have some serious work cut out for me!

Old 24 July 2018, 06:16   #2

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
The tubes look shot, the surface layer is worn off, a re-tube might be in order?
Good luck
Old 25 July 2018, 00:02   #3

Town: Victoria
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliee View Post
The tubes look shot, the surface layer is worn off, a re-tube might be in order?
Good luck
I am not so sure the tubes are shot. That layer peeling off resembles almost exactly what I remember as plastidip, and the tube underneath it looks to be 100% sealed with no leaks through the fabric itself. If i do need to re-tube it I will be parting out everything I can and finding a new boat because it's not worth it to re-tube at this point.

Edit: also the reason I think it is plastidip overtop is because you can see that the seams are cracking apart including the dark grey plastidip looking material. it doesnt look like it is part of the actual tubes construction. It looks more like it was added as an afterthought

also, looking at it further it looks like this boat used to be white! So not only did someone goop something on it, someone else gooped something on it below the first layer.

You can even see paint lines!

Tags
rib