Old 19 August 2014, 09:23   #1

Boat name: Neptune
Make: Concorde
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 150 V6
MMSI: 235103209
is this bad?

Currently re-replacing the transom on my ebay rib purchase.

I knew it was dodgy but what is particularly special is that the missing hose on the drain between the inside and outside skins of the transom, I haven't removed anything form that area in the pictures, the water has been draining out of the cockpit directly into the inside of the transom....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1739.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	98060

Name:	IMG_1735.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	98061
Old 19 August 2014, 09:54   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdearman View Post
is this bad?
All depends on how much you paid for it, less than a fiver? no it's not bad. More than a tenner....Oh dear!

One of the GRP/rebuild Gurus will be along soon to give a more constructive opinion, good luck
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2014, 10:08   #3

Length: 3m +
Well you already know its not good. But where on the good to bad spectrum is a bit unclear...

Hard to see what you've got there - would be helpful to have a zoomed out shot of the whole boat..

The green piece of garden hose goes where?

Whats the material under the hose? (other than crud!) is it GRP or wood? Is it sound?
Old 19 August 2014, 11:24   #4

Its fairly academic now as its all been removed, both inner and outer skins were irretrievable, and the transom was already being replaced before I saw this gem, just posted for your amusement really.

The garden hose used to go between the fittings on the inner and outer skins, I think its original. It seems that when the first transom replacement was done (bodged) the hose disintegrated and they just left a void in the ply completely unsealed.

The inner and outer skins have been completely removed since these photos, unfortunately the stringers are rotten too, so will need partial or complete replacement.

I'm roughly following the west system guide to replace it, by gluing the new core into place with 404 filler, then fabric on top.

Not entirely sure what to do about the stringers yet, replace them entirely or just the rotten bit (if possible)? and attach them before or after laminating the core?

further photos below:

Name:	IMG_1738.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	98062

Name:	IMG_1736.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	98063

Name:	IMG_1737.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	98064
Old 19 August 2014, 11:31   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdearman View Post
Its fairly academic now as its all been removed, both inner and outer skins were irretrievable, and the transom was already being replaced before I saw this gem, just posted for your amusement really.

The garden hose used to go between the fittings on the inner and outer skins, I think its original. It seems that when the first transom replacement was done (bodged) the hose disintegrated and they just left a void in the ply completely unsealed.

The inner and outer skins have been completely removed since these photos, unfortunately the stringers are rotten too, so will need partial or complete replacement.

I'm roughly following the west system guide to replace it, by gluing the new core into place with 404 filler, then fabric on top.

Not entirely sure what to do about the stringers yet, replace them entirely or just the rotten bit (if possible)? and attach them before or after laminating the core?

further photos below:
Attachment 98062
Attachment 98063
Attachment 98064
I think that's what is normally referred to as "falling well inside the fcuked category" Good luck & keep us up to date. Personally, I would be savage with removing anything that wasn't remotely solid. You've done the hard bit by taking the grinder to it & making a start, you might as well make a job of it now.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2014, 07:23   #6

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
I think I fall into the guru slot, if I can give you my expert opinion, it's fooooocccckkk! Welcome to my world
Old 03 November 2014, 21:00   #7

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1415051632.101211.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	100582Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1415051645.512873.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	100583
Rotten bits removed.... hmm not much left. You can see the replacement deck that someone fitted which is completely untreated on the bottom, it's ok at the moment but I guess that has to go too?