Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 10 October 2018, 00:48   #1
RIBnet supporter
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,489
RIBase
Interesting

https://youtu.be/VwVlAClS9Bg
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 06:40   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Liverpool
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 147
Ive always been impressed by the acceleration/torque of a 2 stroke. As Mr Shelby from America says "Power sells cars, torque wins races!" What I do struggle with is the lengths that Evinrude have gone to make this motor what it is. They are no longer "that 2 stroke simplicity". A computer EMU which is salt water cooled perched on top of an outboard is surely a long term recipe for problems. Between the heat soak from the engine block below and the harsh marine environment Mmmmmm, only time to tell. But it is a hugely impressive engine,Nik
__________________

__________________
matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 06:58   #3
Member
 
dubrus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,727
What I would find more interesting is try with a new mercury 3.4l v6 175hp, it is hard enough to compare 2 v 4 stroke but to compare a 4 cylinder 2.8l 4 stroke to a v6 2.7l 2 stroke even more so, pretty obvious the winner there? Edit- the HO will be close to 165hp as per regs on outboard badged HP. I have no idea if the yam 200 is a weak 200, would need to hit up the EPA site but in reality there is potentially only 15hp in this regardless of what the badge says.

Also like to see what the mercury 150 would be like against the standard g2 150, would expect the g2 to still win but be interesting to see.

I realise the v6 Mercs post date the evinrude videos so perhaps they will go there someday, I would put mortgage on the v6 Merc planes that boat in video. I owned a low torque 4 stroke, it isn't nice experience loaded up that is for sure and I wouldn't dream of whacking a 4 cylinder 200 on my ribcraft, no chance.
__________________
dubrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 08:33   #4
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,462
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
These comparative Vids so beloved of our Cousins across the pond can be a little misleading at times...although they can and do entertain the less discerning

I think I've posted this before on here (some things are worth repeating)...but when I did a "Real world" "Hole shot text" on flat water in the Scilleis between my RC 6.8 250 Suze ...and an New Osprey 7.m coupled with with an etec 250 HO...(over about 200yds)
There was literally NOTHING in it!.....this (to me anyway) is the real test of any decent sized setup!

"Hole shot" is the outright winner in the rough stuff!...whe being nimble and sure footed is the Key..The Osprey WAS a couple of knots faster at WOT (in CALM conditions) but then again...my RC is considerably heavier!
If you do have the time to troll through the American Head to Head engine "competition" vids you'll find almost every combination of outcomes....Very much depending on who is promoting what!!
The much strickter consumer protection AND Trade description legislation in the EU does not apply anywhere near as stringently in the USA ...where frankly, some of the Blurb would make a "Snake Oil" salesman Blush!...mind you the prices the Yanks pay for Outboards compared to us (at the moment anyway ) means they can certainly afford to change power plants more often!
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 11:17   #5
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrus View Post
What I would find more interesting is try with a new mercury 3.4l v6 175hp, it is hard enough to compare 2 v 4 stroke but to compare a 4 cylinder 2.8l 4 stroke to a v6 2.7l 2 stroke even more so, pretty obvious the winner there? Edit- the HO will be close to 165hp as per regs on outboard badged HP. I have no idea if the yam 200 is a weak 200, would need to hit up the EPA site but in reality there is potentially only 15hp in this regardless of what the badge says.

Also like to see what the mercury 150 would be like against the standard g2 150, would expect the g2 to still win but be interesting to see.

I realise the v6 Mercs post date the evinrude videos so perhaps they will go there someday, I would put mortgage on the v6 Merc planes that boat in video. I owned a low torque 4 stroke, it isn't nice experience loaded up that is for sure and I wouldn't dream of whacking a 4 cylinder 200 on my ribcraft, no chance.


Agreed a a 4cyl 200 4svs V6 200 2S - why didnít they use the 6cyl yam 200?

... and yes, Iíd like to see the new Merc 3.4L V6 against it. Ours is due for delivery from across the pond imminently ... gulp
__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 11:32   #6
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,462
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Agreed a a 4cyl 200 4svs V6 200 2S - why didnít they use the 6cyl yam 200?

... and yes, Iíd like to see the new Merc 3.4L V6 against it. Ours is due for delivery from across the pond imminently ... gulp
....That should go well on you're Set up! Be interesting what figures you get.
Did you get a good deal?
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 12:17   #7
Member
 
dubrus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,727
i'm not swapping out my 3.6l v6 for a 3.4 v6 (or even a larger HP suzuki)......now a mercury v8, that is a different matter
__________________
dubrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 12:52   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,257
About the worst test I've seen for knocking four strokes I mean come on
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 15:00   #9
Member
 
spartacus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,512
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
About the worst test I've seen for knocking four strokes I mean come on
Oh I don't know. Normally 2-strokes come off worse so to speak. Let me relish in the moment just a little bit longer!
__________________
Is that with or without VAT?
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 15:29   #10
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,462
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Oh I don't know. Normally 2-strokes come off worse so to speak. Let me relish in the moment just a little bit longer!

Different strokes for different folks eh!
__________________

__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.