Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Interesting

https://youtu.be/VwVlAClS9Bg
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 11:40   #2

Town: Liverpool
Length: no boat
Ive always been impressed by the acceleration/torque of a 2 stroke. As Mr Shelby from America says "Power sells cars, torque wins races!" What I do struggle with is the lengths that Evinrude have gone to make this motor what it is. They are no longer "that 2 stroke simplicity". A computer EMU which is salt water cooled perched on top of an outboard is surely a long term recipe for problems. Between the heat soak from the engine block below and the harsh marine environment Mmmmmm, only time to tell. But it is a hugely impressive engine,Nik
Old 10 October 2018, 11:58   #3

What I would find more interesting is try with a new mercury 3.4l v6 175hp, it is hard enough to compare 2 v 4 stroke but to compare a 4 cylinder 2.8l 4 stroke to a v6 2.7l 2 stroke even more so, pretty obvious the winner there? Edit- the HO will be close to 165hp as per regs on outboard badged HP. I have no idea if the yam 200 is a weak 200, would need to hit up the EPA site but in reality there is potentially only 15hp in this regardless of what the badge says.

Also like to see what the mercury 150 would be like against the standard g2 150, would expect the g2 to still win but be interesting to see.

I realise the v6 Mercs post date the evinrude videos so perhaps they will go there someday, I would put mortgage on the v6 Merc planes that boat in video. I owned a low torque 4 stroke, it isn't nice experience loaded up that is for sure and I wouldn't dream of whacking a 4 cylinder 200 on my ribcraft, no chance.
Old 10 October 2018, 13:33   #4

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
These comparative Vids so beloved of our Cousins across the pond can be a little misleading at times...although they can and do entertain the less discerning

I think I've posted this before on here (some things are worth repeating)...but when I did a "Real world" "Hole shot text" on flat water in the Scilleis between my RC 6.8 250 Suze ...and an New Osprey 7.m coupled with with an etec 250 HO...(over about 200yds)
There was literally NOTHING in it!.....this (to me anyway) is the real test of any decent sized setup!

"Hole shot" is the outright winner in the rough stuff!...whe being nimble and sure footed is the Key..The Osprey WAS a couple of knots faster at WOT (in CALM conditions) but then again...my RC is considerably heavier!
If you do have the time to troll through the American Head to Head engine "competition" vids you'll find almost every combination of outcomes....Very much depending on who is promoting what!!
The much strickter consumer protection AND Trade description legislation in the EU does not apply anywhere near as stringently in the USA ...where frankly, some of the Blurb would make a "Snake Oil" salesman Blush!...mind you the prices the Yanks pay for Outboards compared to us (at the moment anyway ) means they can certainly afford to change power plants more often!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 16:17   #5

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
What I would find more interesting is try with a new mercury 3.4l v6 175hp, it is hard enough to compare 2 v 4 stroke but to compare a 4 cylinder 2.8l 4 stroke to a v6 2.7l 2 stroke even more so, pretty obvious the winner there? Edit- the HO will be close to 165hp as per regs on outboard badged HP. I have no idea if the yam 200 is a weak 200, would need to hit up the EPA site but in reality there is potentially only 15hp in this regardless of what the badge says.

Also like to see what the mercury 150 would be like against the standard g2 150, would expect the g2 to still win but be interesting to see.

I realise the v6 Mercs post date the evinrude videos so perhaps they will go there someday, I would put mortgage on the v6 Merc planes that boat in video. I owned a low torque 4 stroke, it isn't nice experience loaded up that is for sure and I wouldn't dream of whacking a 4 cylinder 200 on my ribcraft, no chance.

Agreed a a 4cyl 200 4svs V6 200 2S - why didn’t they use the 6cyl yam 200?

... and yes, I’d like to see the new Merc 3.4L V6 against it. Ours is due for delivery from across the pond imminently ... gulp
Old 10 October 2018, 16:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Agreed a a 4cyl 200 4svs V6 200 2S - why didn’t they use the 6cyl yam 200?

... and yes, I’d like to see the new Merc 3.4L V6 against it. Ours is due for delivery from across the pond imminently ... gulp
....That should go well on you're Set up! Be interesting what figures you get.
Did you get a good deal?

Old 10 October 2018, 17:17   #7

i'm not swapping out my 3.6l v6 for a 3.4 v6 (or even a larger HP suzuki)......now a mercury v8, that is a different matter
Old 10 October 2018, 17:52   #8

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
About the worst test I've seen for knocking four strokes I mean come on
Old 10 October 2018, 20:00   #9

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
About the worst test I've seen for knocking four strokes I mean come on
Oh I don't know. Normally 2-strokes come off worse so to speak. Let me relish in the moment just a little bit longer!
Old 10 October 2018, 20:29   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Oh I don't know. Normally 2-strokes come off worse so to speak. Let me relish in the moment just a little bit longer!

Different strokes for different folks eh!

Old 10 October 2018, 21:00   #11

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post

Drop the bomb and walk off.
Old 10 October 2018, 22:07   #12

Town: wormit
Boat name: lots of them
Make: various
Length: no boat
Engine: all types
I took a pair of Etec HO 200 off my own 10 metre Humber and fitted a pair of Yamaha 200G 4 cylinder engines, when the Etecs did go they were 2 mph faster top speed but used 40 litres more fuel per hour. ATM I have std M series alloy propellers on the Yamaha’s so could possibly make up the speed difference but not that Important for the job.
Old 11 October 2018, 05:46   #13

Town: South Yorks
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie View Post
I took a pair of Etec HO 200 off my own 10 metre Humber and fitted a pair of Yamaha 200G 4 cylinder engines, when the Etecs did go they were 2 mph faster top speed but used 40 litres more fuel per hour. ATM I have std M series alloy propellers on the Yamaha’s so could possibly make up the speed difference but not that Important for the job.

The demo wasn’t about top speed, it was about torque. If the Yam could’ve got the boat over the hump & planing, I’m guessing the top speeds from both engines would be similar. This was a holeshot comparison. I bet your Etecs were faster off the mark & more responsive than the Yams.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 11 October 2018, 07:54   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post

Drop the bomb and walk off.

Yep...First thing that crossed my mind...Mind you I've always wondered at what Yorkshire folk find "Interesting!"

Old 11 October 2018, 07:56   #15

Double post

Old 12 October 2018, 14:28   #16

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
....That should go well on you're Set up! Be interesting what figures you get.

Did you get a good deal?

Will let you know re performance. What I did find out is that when we ordered the engine it "came with all steering, cables and wheel". It is now an optional extra.

I'm led to believe they've honoured it, as the order was made and shipment from across the pond packaged up and sent. Awaiting arrival...

Price wise - the dealer is pretty good to us. Used them for 15yrs for everything.
Old 12 October 2018, 15:54   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Will let you know re performance. What I did find out is that when we ordered the engine it "came with all steering, cables and wheel". It is now an optional extra.

I'm led to believe they've honoured it, as the order was made and shipment from across the pond packaged up and sent. Awaiting arrival...

Price wise - the dealer is pretty good to us. Used them for 15yrs for everything.
Nice one!..I spoke to my Guy who is a Merc dealer...he had a recent trip/introduction to the new range in Italy reckons they are Outstanding bits of kit and potential Game changers....Believe me he doesn't get excited very often either!
He Did say they need to be set up properly.
That ancillary (now optional) thing sounds like it MAY be a European greed thing
I doubt the U.S. costumer would accept it over there!

Old 12 October 2018, 19:46   #18

Town: Bristol
Engine: Yamaha
Matt dont bite. Eventually they will die out due to the level of cover available and the inherent unreliability issues that plague these lumps of multi coloured plastic.
As for the consumtion of expensive two stroke oil and multi trips to the nearest etec doctor all has to be taken into consideration.
Years ago two strokes carb or DI was the only way to get relative reliable and lightweight power.
Exponentially sales of outboards have swung the fourstroke route and for good reason,
PD , stop reading biased monthly as youve lost this one old bean.
If you need more speed out of your RC, lose the second battery!

https://youtu.be/NWcqLjVxK_k
Old 12 October 2018, 20:16   #19

Town: South Yorks
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
Matt dont bite. Eventually they will die out due to the level of cover available and the inherent unreliability issues that plague these lumps of multi coloured plastic.
As for the consumtion of expensive two stroke oil and multi trips to the nearest etec doctor all has to be taken into consideration.
Years ago two strokes carb or DI was the only way to get relative reliable and lightweight power.
Exponentially sales of outboards have swung the fourstroke route and for good reason,

Eeyup! You took your time, where’ve you been hiding? Top speed is fine, I’ve never complained about that. It’s the elusive torque I’m missing, apparently Willk knows where there’s a cupboard full[emoji6]
Old 12 October 2018, 21:25   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post

Actually I was on about the new V8 Merc four strokes Mate....
they have stopped making 2strokes now....although I always did like the well tried and tested Opti's