Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 06 January 2015, 14:24   #1

Town: San Francisco Bay
Boat name: SRMN 600
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 90
Installing an underdeck fuel tank and I need some advice.

Hi guys, I am looking for a new winter project and am focused on installing an underdeck fuel tank. The Rib is a Zodiac SRMN 600. From the many holes I have drilled in the deck to install a few fittings, it looks like the deck is foam on top of some plywood. The hull isn't too deep but I'm guessing there will be some room under there for the fuel tank.

Does anybody have any experience that can offer any suggestions on how to start? I imagine myself taking a circular saw, setting the blade depth to about 1.5 inches and cutting out a rectangle in the middle third of the deck length wise, hoping there will be a cavity between two stringers.
Old 06 January 2015, 15:23   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Jason (Bigtalljv) just did this, I think. Take a look at his thread about his 733 in the North America forum. Currently an active thread, so should be easy to spot.

jky
Old 06 January 2015, 16:25   #3

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
No I used the original diesel tank location and had open access to everything. Plenty of people have done what you are looking to do, it's standard on a hard boat to have to cut out decks to replace tanks. Check out the boat building forum I have used, www.bateu2.com. They build and repair boats. Lots of good advise.

You might call zodiac and see if you can find out a bit more about what's down there before you start cutting. Make sure you have enough room. With fills and pickups it knocks off a few inches of space.

Speedy tanks in NJ made mine. Great product and service. Pricing was good too although shipping hurts but I thinks it's still better than CA options if there are any

Jason
Old 06 January 2015, 16:32   #4

Town: Connecticut
Engine: Undecided
underdeck fuel tank

Two years ago I rebuilt my Pro 530 hull from the bottom up. Most of the original deck was cut out and removed as well as the original fiberglass stringer which ran down the center of the boat. The original fiberglass stringer was about four inches wide and hollow which was great from the fact that it was light but bad from the fact that prevented installation of an underdeck tank. After finding a tank that was the right fit for my hull, we installed a new stringer system using oak completely saturated in resin before being covered in glass. The project turned into a much bigger venture than originally planned but I was not about to take any short cuts. It may be worth while to cut an inspection port and look around under the deck before making the "big cut". Once the new deck was installed we fabricated a bow locker in the boat big enough to use as a fishing platform or for my wife and two kids to fit on comfortably.

Good luck with your project !
Old 07 January 2015, 15:17   #5

Town: San Francisco Bay
Boat name: SRMN 600
Engine: Honda 90
Thanks for the replies guys. I will check out Speedy tanks once I get to the point where I can take measurements. Cgoing, I looked at the pics from your rebuilt. Thanks for putting those up. I will cut a hole in the deck and see whats down there!
Old 08 January 2015, 12:22   #6
ncp

Town: California
Make: Avon 5.4m Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90
There are two southern California tank makers that have good reputations - American Tanks in El Cajon (San Diego) and some race type guys out in San Bernardino (east of LA). The southern California fishermen love both. Last I heard just under $9/gallon for a custom aluminum tank.

I'm sure Jason researched it and Speedy Tanks might be the call if they're cheaper.