Old 05 January 2015, 13:33   #1

Length: 5m +
Leaky drysuit replacement

Hi Folks

Bought a new Gul drysuit late last year to replace my old leaky one. I use it for both Ribs and dinghy sailing. Cutting to the chase, the pee zip is leaking on the new one and the retailer has offered to replace it with either the Musto MPX drysuit or the new Typhoon Max-B.

Both look very good and both look up to the job...don't think either will disappoint.

Does anyone have any experience with either and given the option, which one would you go for?

Cheers
Old 05 January 2015, 13:47   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
No experience with those suits - although I'd like to have!!!

Which Gul model was leaking?
Old 05 January 2015, 13:53   #3

Town: Portsmouth(ish)
Boat name: Wings
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F115 AETL
RIBase
As far as I'm aware the Typhoon has glide-skin neck and wrist seals and the MPX has latex seals.

Latex seals are tight (if left uncut or cut to the correct size) but over a short length of seal (think a cone with the top cut off, only sealing where the tight top of it connects to your neck/cuff). Whereas glide-skin isn't as tight but has a longer length of seal. (The water probably just gets bored and gives up trying to get in!)

I have a kayaking top with latex seals that is uncomfortable after a days wear, but a diving dry-suit with glide-skin seals that I can happily wear all day. Both are as dry as each other IMHO.

(Or dive, or ref rugby, or.......)
Ovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 January 2015, 15:14   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Latex seals typically last only a year or so before needing to be replaced. They should be washed (or at least rinsed) with soapy water after use to remove skin oils which damage the latex, then coated with unscented talc or cornstarch to prevent sticking and shield them from ozone. Store away from ozone sources and airborne fuels (electric motors, water heaters, furnaces, etc.)

I assume the "glideskin" seals are neoprene? If so, they shouldn't require replacement. Factor that in to your cost analysis.

jky
Old 05 January 2015, 15:20   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
My Missus has a Typhoon with the "Glide Skin" (fancy term for neoprene) seals & is happy to wear it all day. I've had various diving drysuits over the years & it's neoprene every time, they are more robust, comfortable, easy to look after & last for years. I'd by a Musto drysuit tomorrow if they had neoprene seals, but the latex seals are a showstopper imho. I'll probably be buying a Typhoon this year to replace my 10year old membrane diving drysuit, that's seen LOTS of action & still has the original neoprene neck seal.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 January 2015, 15:45   #6

Thanks all, supports my gut feel - I had a latex neck seal on my old diving drysuit and it chaffed after a weekend.

The Typhoon also has Gore-tex socks as opposed to latex. Hopefully a little less prone to damage...but maybe harder to repair?

Willk - its the Gul Code Zero. The pee zip has leaked on 2 suits so far so I'm giving up on Gul. Like the suit but there's no point if it gets you wet.
Old 05 January 2015, 15:48   #7

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Latex seals typically last only a year or so before needing to be replaced. They should be washed (or at least rinsed) with soapy water after use to remove skin oils which damage the latex, then coated with unscented talc or cornstarch to prevent sticking and shield them from ozone. Store away from ozone sources and airborne fuels (electric motors, water heaters, furnaces, etc.)

I assume the "glideskin" seals are neoprene? If so, they shouldn't require replacement. Factor that in to your cost analysis.

jky
I have had my Crewsaver drysuit with latex neck, cuffs, and feet for a good 6 years now.

I always rinse after use and then make sure it's nice and dry before folding up and storing away.

I have never put talc or anything else on the latex and it is still as good as new so I guess that it is just a matter of how well you look after your gear at the end of the day.

I agree with neoprene being a lot comfier and is probably better for rib use but for kayaking and canoeing latex is best
Old 05 January 2015, 15:48   #8

Town: Portsmouth(ish)
Boat name: Wings
Make: Ribeye
Engine: Yamaha F115 AETL
RIBase
Hmm, I was looking at the Gul code zero too...... maybe I'll shift target to the Typhoons instead.

(Or dive, or ref rugby, or.......)
Ovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 January 2015, 15:55   #9

Ovey - the lady at the retailer mentioned that her husband also swapped out a Code Zero for a Musto because of the leaky pee zip. Apparently had a dodgy batch of zips on the 2014 suit. Probably resolved on the 2015 suit but I'm not taking the chance.
Old 05 January 2015, 16:11   #10

Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 2x Honda 100 Hp
MMSI: 235025718
I have a gul BS and a musto hpx BS had neoprene neck which is ok but not as waterproof as the musto
Old 05 January 2015, 16:26   #11

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
I've had a Typhoon Max B for two seasons and it's been great so far, no problems at all and reasonably comfy to wear all day, out of choice I'd have boots fitted instead of the socks but that's just a personal choice
Old 05 January 2015, 17:25   #12

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
neoprene is a lot more comfortable but can leak a little when paddling a kayak or swimming about. latex seals in my opinion still have their place, but for general use / cruising then go for neo.
Old 05 January 2015, 17:34   #13

Town: blackpool
Boat name: Fast Forward
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
Took two Scorpions from Fleetwood to The new Belfast City marina and back on Sunday 240 miles it was fairly lumpy and my Typoon dry suit didn't let ion a drop
Neoprene seals very comfortable
Old 05 January 2015, 18:38   #14
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Thornton View Post
Took two Scorpions from Fleetwood to The new Belfast City marina
Thread drift - but what's that marina like? Route in, landside access, safe?
Are VTS a PITA?
I'd be tempted to swing in there sometime - any info/photos appreciated.
Old 06 January 2015, 16:44   #15

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
The zipper is purchased from another manufacturer, so that is not necessarily the suit manufacturers fault, although they do get to choose who the manufacturer is. With two failures I would also start questioning the person using the suit about proper maintenance, usage, and storage. All zippers need to be lubed often.

How come the suit manufacturer isn't just repairing the drysuit by replacing the zipper?

I am surprised no one mentioned silicon. Super comfortable, doesn't leak, and can be replaced in the field in two minutes. Only downfall is it is more fragile. I have never gotten a hang mans neck from silicon, but sometimes did from latex. Neoprene leaks too much for me.

Today for surface suits Gortex is where it is at too. I got a DUI one for free that needed a zipper and seals. Being able to sweat and not have to live in it all day is good for comfort in so many ways.
Old 06 January 2015, 17:14   #16

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
My wife has a typhoon took the socks off and fitted neo boots she stops in it all day still looks and works well after 5years
Old 06 January 2015, 17:46   #17

Peter-c, thanks for the advice and happy for you to question.
Drysuits were less than 2 weeks old (each) and the plastic zips failed on their first outing - 1 time while dinghy sailing, the other helping kids launch their dinghies. The retailer has been excellent and, knowing the issue, replaced the 2 suits without quibble.

I didn't question the manufacturer although having spent a good portion of my life in manufacturing I do question their QA processes on this particular component of this model of suit.

With regards your questioning competence of the user, I've been diving in drysuits for around 15 years (and logging 200+ dives a year for some of those as an instructor) My current brass zipped trilaminate is close to 10yrs old and other than through old latex seals hasn't leaked.
Old 08 January 2015, 13:17   #18

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
just read in power boat & rib, northern diver are doing breathable boating dry suits transit suit £300 & storm force 4 from £375 boots extra.