Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 24 January 2015, 01:18   #1

Town: NSW
Length: 4m +
Inflating push pull without HR adaptor?

With push pull valves, can I put air into the valve without air coming out?

Im curious as Ive lost my HR adaptor for my pump and wondering if I can just push the pump end firmly against the valve, if air will go in but not come out?
Old 24 January 2015, 15:56   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
If you can't find a RIB shop, try looking for a rafting supply company in Oz or NZ. They should be able to help.

You'll need careful measurements, as there are about 4 different flavors of Halkey-Roberts valves: old and new, and both of those in long and short. There are also several knock-offs that look and operate like HR, but aren't.

As to the question above, the answer is maybe. Depends on the particular valve, and how much pressure you can put on it. You can get by with a plastic or rubber tube that fits against the outside of the bore of the valve body and a cross-piece of wire situated to depress the valve release (my buddy uses a scuba hose strain relief sleeve and a scuba tank.) If it doesn't seal well, though, you're going to need a good deal of air to keep up with the loss (meaning a foot pump likely won't work.)

jky
Old 24 January 2015, 23:44   #3

Town: NSW
Length: 4m +
oh i thought the pressure from the pump was enough to push air through the valve in the up position. i didnt realise there were so many HR types. now i dont even know if my bravo adaptor an inline gauge i ordered will fit my valves, eeeeeeeeeeeek.