Click Here to Login

Old 21 July 2007, 20:13   #21

Town: St Helier JERSEY
Boat name: Barney
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 350 Yamaha
Hi Gerry

I've got a 9 year old, 8 year old, 3 year old and the next one's due in the next 24 hours.

They've all been through the fear threshold. I think in ribs they're quite worried about falling over the side, and at speed, it all seems a bit out of control to them. Naturally, different things work with different kids, with my eldest (boy) I had to physically hold him, put the throttle full down, until he got to the stage that it was cool. Mind you, last week, I took him out, and we went fully airborne 3 times, and he lost it with me. Lesson learned for me!

I think the best, but hardest strategy, is to do the good yachtmaster thing, and drive for the weakest member of crew. And if that means 8 knots up and down the river, then so be it. Eventually, she'll get bored, and want to open the throttle up...

What I find really hard though, (and would appreciate other input here), is that with ribs 8 knots is often the most uncomfortable speed to go. We often find ourselves going to France (30ish Nm) in a F3-4, and frankly flat-out is the best way to go, even if it means a bit of airborne action. The alternative is contouring a 1-2m swell at 10-15 knots.
Old 22 July 2007, 07:40   #22

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
In my line of work its,

'Monkey see, Monkey do'
Well as they say "if you pay peanuts..............."

You want another banana mate?
Old 22 July 2007, 11:10   #23

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikster View Post
yes, yes i know she has not got her hand on the throttle as she should, you try telling a 4 year old that already knows everything....................... women...lol..... and im the one wearing the kill cord...
Spot the candy floss bucket near the transom, this was last month coming back into Poole after dolphin spotting off of Swanage.... with a really old double skinned delta that we were doing a contract with, Tohatsu ---- pain the ass outboard with a mind of its own....!!
They learn fast if you start em young, my daughter was a real throttle jockey at three years, all I ever heard was "I want to go fast Dad, I want to go FAST".
Old 23 July 2007, 13:50   #24

Town: Cowes
Boat name: if only you knew!
Make: n/a
Length: 10m +
Engine: large
i am running out of excuses as to why we cant go as fast as she wants to - we do not have a speed limit in the harbour from Oct - March, so when i say we cant go 30kts in the sunshine she say's "WHY Daddy" we did it last time...... she is even worse when i take her flying..... i put her in her her car booster seat in the front with me - dual control - we do not even get to the threshold before --- "is it my turn yet daddy" - luckily most of air traggic know me so the dodgy flying, looking like a really bad student on departure is quickly identified as a 4 year old with limited attention span and no fear.... mad as a hatter...!