Old 16 August 2011, 21:03   #1

Town: hull
Boat name: mycleo73
Make: avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp
I would like advise on working on my rib boat

Hi all,

I bought myself a rib boat, and this is my first rib boat, so I don't know a lot about it just yet. All I know is that they are good boats to have.
The boat is going to be a fishingboat for me, but it is not set up right for fishing, so I am going to take everything out and start from scratch.
Now I am not the richest of guys, so I am making my own seats.
I would like to have is a very small gap at the front of the boat, going into a small bucketseat. Straight after that the console with the stearingwheel straight into a continues seat to the back of the boat where it goes into a T-shape.
I want a backrest for the backseat, so it's a bit safer and comfy to take people with me.

Can you guys give me advise if this is a good way to do it, if the balance would be right, and ifso what would be a good way to achieve this.
I am also removing the splashcover.

Here is a link to a picture of the boat now.

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

ps i have a mariner 40hp ex lifeboat outboard
Old 16 August 2011, 22:46   #2

Town: birmingham
Boat name: mine
Make: avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp petrol
hi will take a inside pic of mine in the morn and post it i only use mine for fishing and just come back from barmouth were the fishing was good i did fish 3 on her but its a bit tight i like 2 on there plenty of room,
Old 17 August 2011, 08:07   #3

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Welcome to ribnet!

I was in a similar position to you a few years ago. The seat on mine was made from Plywood painted with epoxy to make it totally waterproof. It didn't quite suit my needs and having redesigned the layout, I never actually modified it coz someone makde me an offer for it I couldn't refuse before I started.

If you can afford it, use marine ply, as it will be a bit better wearing. If notm, you could get away witrh normal & epoxy paint. One thing to be careful of (and I say this assuming you have reasonable woodworking skills) is weight - using 1/2" ply will make the seat bulletproof, but will likely give you as much weight as another 1-2 people on board! Use open framing (2x1 kind of thing) and if you want a locker, clad it with 1/8" ply. If you go totally open, make sure it's braced, if you decide to go enclosed, glue & screw the side panels on - that will give all the rigidity you need.

The layout sounds about right - If you are one up, the driving seat will be about the same place it is on a "standard" setup. I assume the theory is one in front & two on the "T" behind you? I was planning on rebuilding mine for 3, and had a very similar plan but without the front seat.

Other thing is if you possibly can, use the Avon mounts on the deck - otherwise you'll get bigtime water ingress & a floppy floor.

On a related thought, that A- frame looks perfect for a rod holder!