Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 06 June 2013, 18:07   #1

Town: Onich
Boat name: Not yet bought
Make: Unsure
Length: 5m +
Engine: Unacquired
I guess I'm saying hello and thank you and HELP!

I've been lurking away on this site for ages. I've used it so many times as a reference point, and found it so unbelievably useful, that I thought I really ought to register so I could say a collective "thank you"! The collective wit and wisdom on here (well, the wisdom anyway ... ) is really amazing. people are so informative and helpful. Even when they're fighting over whether Ribeyes are any good or not!

Anyway. I think I am about to buy my first RIB (haven't yet done my sums yet but have got a pink ticket for another boat!). I do all my boating in the Highlands (Loch Linnhe/Sound of Mull). I already have a 21 foot Arvor, which is brilliant for fishing and people/dog/picnic moving, but my boys are teenagers now and they dpn't seem to find ringo-ing at 13 knots as exciting as they did when they were little So I need something faster.

I am pretty set on a RIB and have picked up loads of tips from here on hull, power, makes etc. I'm heading for something in the 5.5-6m range with about 100-140hp and a ski pole or a strong point on the A frame, made by Humber, Ribcraft, Ribeye, XS or Tornado. Budget (no more than 15k) doesn't seem to stretch to Osprey or Cobra!

BUT - serious heretic moment. Someone suggested to me a Scandinavian fibreglass boat like the Flipper 605 Flipper 605 Walkaround Boats for Sale or the Nordkapp Enduro Yeoward Boatyards .

The mrs has seen these alternatives (my fault ) and thinks they look glamorous. This has thrown my world into chaos They look pretty and would certainly do the water toys job. But surely they can't be as seaworthy as a rib, can they? Life on my home waters is permanently lumpy - a Force 3 is a good day and 4-5 is typical. I can't see those things coping with that sort of sea in any comfort, surely? Also they're too poncy for the Highlands - boating up there = rain and wind and seagull poo and jellyfish and Goretex, not blondes in bikinis lying around on the sundeck! (hmmm .. maybe I'm boating in the wrong waters ...)

Please someone - tell me they're no good and I can go back to Plan A. I want a rib. But I need some back up! Help, ribnet!
Old 06 June 2013, 18:38   #2

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Welcome to RIBnet you lurker you !

Before I ever owned a boat of any sort , I dreamed of an Arvor fast fisher ! Then I discovered Ribs , bought a Ribcraft ( right first time ) and never looked back . I don't believe the two boats you have illustrated compare in any way regarding sea keeping and ability to go places ( and you are blessed with places to go in your neck of the woods ! )

If your other 'arf , MUST have a cabin & toilet , i guess you are scuppered . If not , a decent Rib is surely the way to go ? Good luck which ever way you decide !

( Wot Wilfish said............before it disappeared......)
Old 06 June 2013, 18:50   #3

Cheers Bern!

They can't be any good in a lumpy sea, can they? All fur coat and no knickers. I'll play the safety angle I think!
Old 06 June 2013, 18:51   #4

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
We have had a couple of Scandi type boats in the family, so will try and give you some guidance.

The smallest was a 5.5m open console boat with a self draining cockpit and an Etec 90 (Fantastic engine BTW ).

It had a deep V hull and did about 35kts. It was comfortable with 8 people on board and had some nice things like transom shower and cool box. It would plough through pretty much anything, but it could get very, very wet. This was OK in the Med were it ended up, but not much fun on a cold wet night after the Red Arrows in Fowey. It handled a lot better than a couple of similar sized leisure ribs I have used but was streets behind a decent Ribcraft.

We also had a an Aquador 23HT, probably the best handling 23ft boat hard top there is.

It was dry, warm, had heating, toilet, cooking and sleeping facilities. It was great for an overnight but not a patch on a similar sized rib for seakeeping.

Deep V ribs handle better than hard boats of the same size, but you loose space and facilities.

All boats are a compromise, some of that compromise may be with your better half. I understand the position you are in, I feel the same pain every time we go boat shopping

(Don't even get me started on 'pillow' packages that cost more than a decent trailer ! )
Old 06 June 2013, 19:14   #5
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnhe Lascar View Post
I am pretty set on a RIB and have picked up loads of tips from here on hull, power, makes etc. I'm heading for something in the 5.5-6m range with about 100-140hp and a ski pole or a strong point on the A frame, made by Humber, Ribcraft, Ribeye, XS or Tornado. Budget (no more than 15k) doesn't seem to stretch to Osprey or Cobra!
any plans to go further afield? Whilst each of us wants a boat for different things from a boat, from your part of the world there is a massive cruising ground at your feet - which demands different things from towing toys. Whilst teenagers are tough and stupid there must be a limit to the days when they would be willing to get towed on a cold lumpy sea - even if the boat is capable of it. Those two boats would probably do you fine for ringoing in weather where you'd want to ringo, but if I was trying to justify the purchase I might be arguing that the £££ would be better spent on a boat I could use when I choose rather than the weather.

Now if you actually want to cruise then fuel is a bit of a challenge in that environment, and the bigger the boat the more you will be able to endure the west coast weather... ...there's a couple of older big diesel ribs sitting in Redbay's yard (not Redbays) which might be around the right budget. I don't know the back story for them etc - but if I had £15k to spend on a boat based on Loch Linnhe they would be on the possibilities list.
Old 06 June 2013, 21:45   #6
Redbay supporter

Town: onn de moov
Boat name: bote
Make: kevvin
Length: 4m +
Engine: jett dryve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern Hanreck View Post
( Wot Wilfish said............before it disappeared......)
Probubly deeleted cuz i sed de fliper waz a gud bote

Wher doo I beegin?😃
wiLlfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2013, 21:48   #7

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiLlfish View Post
Probubly deeleted cuz i sed de fliper waz a gud bote

I read it before it went !
Old 07 June 2013, 00:05   #8

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Had the same thoughts and dilemma a few years back ,
i ended up buying something almost identical to that Flipper . yes it would do the ringo family fun thing very well and it wasn't a bad ride when it was rough ,
then one day i was looking closely at its design while fixing a broken bilge pump , i realized that one good wave over the bow would probably make it sink and a few basic calculations told me no bilge pump would cope with a flooded hull . Plus it had a hull void that couldn't be acessed so even a small hole in the hull meant it held a lot of water
i just never felt very safe in it and it was vibey and rattly compared to a rib .
Its difficult to get aboard over the bow from the slipway , so i always had to pick people up from the pontoon , when stopped for a swim etc the boat just rolled about like a cork as people climbed back aboard and jumped of.
Great lake or river boats i think
Old 07 June 2013, 11:30   #9

Thanks a lot chaps. This site is so helpful

A wave or two over the bow is just what I've been fretting about, Ian. They say it is self-draining but it looks like a massive great space and when it gets lumpy in the Sound of Mull you can get a lot of water on board pretty quickly! Agree would be good on a lake.

Great pics, Landlockedpirate!

Have told the mrs we mustn't compromise on safety especially since our boys are likely to use the new boat solo (eldest has already done RYA PB2 and drives the Arvor beautifully, others will do it before they're allowed their hands on the keys!)
Old 07 June 2013, 17:07   #10

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
self draining but how quick and how stable is it while its draining and you take another wave . Thats how i felt about mine in the end , plus they catch the wind a lot more than a rib .