Old 20 July 2015, 08:28   #31

Town: Dorset
Boat name: BlueTube
Make: XS500
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury Opti 75hp
MMSI: 235098668
I used doel fins on my previous hardboat (Arrowflyte + 60hp) for the very reason in OP, big help meant I could plain towing ringos and kneeboards at about 13 knots (depending on size of the rider) but appreciate they dont work for everyone, I would suggest trying some divers weights up front (bags with lead shot in them) very little space needed for them, if that doesnt work try the doel fins

On my RIB now have Starfire hydrofoil (lot more expensive), you dont have to drill cavity plate to fix them on and sit right over back of cavity plate, plus some divers weights up front but did this for different reasons .... the boat was a nightmare in rough seas far to quick out the hole and bow rise was scary, combination of starfire and a bit of weight boat is now far better balanced but have lost a couple knots at WOT

Old 20 July 2015, 22:52   #32

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie1 View Post
I used doel fins on my previous hardboat (Arrowflyte + 60hp) for the very reason in OP, big help meant I could plain towing ringos and kneeboards at about 13 knots (depending on size of the rider) but appreciate they dont work for everyone, I would suggest trying some divers weights up front (bags with lead shot in them) very little space needed for them, if that doesnt work try the doel fins

On my RIB now have Starfire hydrofoil (lot more expensive), you dont have to drill cavity plate to fix them on and sit right over back of cavity plate, plus some divers weights up front but did this for different reasons .... the boat was a nightmare in rough seas far to quick out the hole and bow rise was scary, combination of starfire and a bit of weight boat is now far better balanced but have lost a couple knots at WOT

Did you put the fins on because the boat handled badly or your power trim doesn't work. If its the boat in your bio you seem to have plenty of power and a modern engine. Its good you dont need to drill them, they look very much like the se sport which does need drilling.

A trick I did on a boat years ago was to stick a strip of something like this http://www.bunnings.com.au/zone-hard...ramp-_p4430023 under the edge of the stern using silkaflex, I only needed a small strip about 8ins each side to bring the nose down. This way you can experiment with the length needed by starting off with a small length, you can also apply longer lengths to one side if the boat leans (cost effective and it works). The boat I used it for was a 4.75 aluminium boat with a Yam F50 which leant to one side and wouldnt trim down quite enough.

Jon

Old 21 July 2015, 02:55   #33

Trim works fine but even trimmed right in it was a nightmare. Touch the throttled and it was off like a scolded cat! Great fun on flat water but bit scary in the rougher stuff .... Have no doubt there are other possibly better solutions but mine handles very well now so won't be trying to fix it
Old 22 July 2015, 14:34   #34

Town: Simi Valley, California
Boat name: Inspearation
Make: Nautica
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidni View Post
My youngest despite being the daredevil in the family, is not just as confident in the water as his older brother.

He prefers being towed at a much slower pace.
It sounds like your rib is already working great, but your youngest son just needs to become more confident in the water. Don't change your boat. Help your son become a strong, confident swimmer. That will be a lifelong blessing for him.

No offense intended by the way.
Old 22 July 2015, 17:41   #35

Completely different ball game Blue man ..... Even if very confident swimmers can still lack confidence when being towed ... Know from experience can be very painful getting them going but once they get going they are fearless 😳😳
Old 23 July 2015, 04:59   #36

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
Hi all

You could try Permatrim foils from Australia ment to be pretty effective.
Old 23 July 2015, 05:16   #37

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
Stingray Stealth transformed my boat - can now plane at 10 knots and provides instant holeshot particularly when towing ringos and skiers - throughly recommended.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0387.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	107305   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0388.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	107306  
Old 23 July 2015, 09:59   #38

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
Fitted in minutes with no drilling of the car plate

Force 4 Marine Dynamics Stingray Stealth 2 Hydrofoil
Old 24 July 2015, 06:06   #39

Boat name: Still deciding
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Tohatsu M40C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Man View Post
It sounds like your rib is already working great, but your youngest son just needs to become more confident in the water. Don't change your boat. Help your son become a strong, confident swimmer. That will be a lifelong blessing for him.

No offense intended by the way.
Not a bit of offense taken. I wanted honest opinions in all shapes and forms.

You are correct. The little rib does run well...like a bullet in fact. And he does need to gain some confidence. This is more for my own benefit to be honest...until he gets to that stage.

I don't think I'm overly keen to start drilling into the cavitation plate if there are drill free options.

I think its definitely going to be either Nauticus sx smart tabs or one of the NO DRILL hydrofoils. Judging by everyone's replies and further research elsewhere...it seems that those who have tried either route have been very happy so I guess its going to be toss of the coin really as both will work out similar price. I can get either at almost exact same price.

Just have to find them some better wetsuits now as their current ones just don't seem to be doing the trick!
Old 24 July 2015, 09:17   #40

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
I have run various biats with these fitted as with real life People want to sit at the back where you do not want all the weight! They work very well at getting the nose down and planning at lower speeds
BUT I think you need PTT to get the best out of them.
I have a SR4 with a Yam 50 hp with PTT and have used this for towing water skis and toys for me I blocked off the hull as in the harbour at 6 to 8 knots is is a right pain dropping on and off the plain, + 5 plus of us in it and it ends up very stern heavy with the foils fitted I can get the nose down,. If it is me blasting about the Solent I have taken them off and it runs with out any problems with the holes in the cav.plate.
I do not like fitting them but they do a very good job if they are needed, my Ribeye 6m dose not have them and I have never needed them.
Have a 6.5m hard boat with a inboard with I fitted them to as again could not get the nose down with out them and all the passengers wanting to sit at the back.

Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote