Old 15 December 2011, 15:42   #11
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
I'd agree with all you say Bruce and in your position no way would I buy another!

I like the hull a lot and for the money rate them. Given the choice now, what would I buy? Not sure. I like ribquest but they've changed hands, do unknown entity.

Prefer both hum and rq to ribeye and modern avon adventurea and other cheaper brands. It's v difficult as nearly all brands even more expensiveseem to have examples of problems.

Just have to save for a Goldfish!

HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2011, 03:25   #12
Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
In a similar theme a while ago when free insurance was being dished out with every small car I had three identical spec'ed and engine'd Ford Fiestas.

Two of them I filled with fuel, serviced occasionally and threw 25K miles at each of them. (was cheaper to swap cars & get the insurance than it was to re- insure!) The third one was a rolling warranty disaster. Was recalled on two separate occasions, and was taken back by me on another three for other faults in the first year. It then went on to do about 130K miles without too many issues. I took the balance of probability and bought my current Focus, which had a lumpy start (literally!) at which point I was in the "never touch with a barge pole again" mood. Thankfully this issue was fixed reasonably quickly and 140K later it's still going strong. I would now give them consideration when I change this car.

I don't blame Bruce or his friend for not wanting another. Based on that malarkey neither would I! If you are going in "cold" just remember that it's easy and makes a lot of people feel beter to rant about their frustrations & faulty goods online. Not so many feel the need to come online and praise the product. Look at any "reviews" section in a shop.

My point is that although bruce has a very valid reason for not going back, many do, otherwise they wouldn't still be in business.

I would be really interested to find out what the root cause of that was. As it has happened to two (that we know of) hulls, then something was done wrong at least twice. (or it was a design fault, but I would have expected a LOT more to be having the issue in that case) The three remaining questions are what, how many more have the problem and have Humber learned from it so it doesn't happen again?

We may never know the answer to the first. The second I hope none, and the answer to the third- only time will tell.

Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
It's v difficult as nearly all brands even more expensiveseem to have examples of problems.
My point in a nutshell.

Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Just have to save for a Goldfish!
I bet they are not squeaky clean either.... In a similar vein to the Rolls Royce Dealers' recovery trucks being closed sided so you can't see it's a roller that's broken down...

9D280 is offline   Reply With Quote