Old 16 July 2008, 07:10   #21

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: True Blue
Make: Humber ocean pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 150 opti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatts View Post
Thanks for advice. Going up to humber to have a look round early next week. Are pressure release valves necessary on the orange tubes? Is it worth getting them fitted anyway? Think they are approx £200.

A trip to humbers will be well worth the time, I think they have got a 5.3 ocean pro in stock that you can see and they will lay your seating out, talk to you about other models so you get the right choice. Humber fit pressure relief valves to all dark colours but they are not needed on orange. If you going to take abroad where it will be in extreme heat, then you might fit for peace of mind.

We have just fitted a standard console and I agree with 9D280. There is limited amount of room, If you need to fit a radio, the battery will need to go under a seat, that is what we did on this one. If you go for a sport, you will have room for it all in the console with the advantage of keeping the battery high incase the boat gets flooded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image132 [640x480].jpg
Views:	249
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	36346  
Old 16 July 2008, 07:43   #22

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
You can get an 85ah battery in the standard console high up, its just a bit of a squeeze.
There is little room in there and it needs to be planned well. You aklso have to remove the hatch to get enough room to get the battery in and out the hole.
My standard console had a 70l tank in the bottom with a round hatch cut in front of the seat for access to the filler, an 85AH battery on the high shelf, plotter, sounder, VHF, switch panel and hyrdaulic steering. I also fitted a small hatch in the bottom of the seat to give access to storage at the rear bottom of the moulding behind the tank for oil and spare prop etc.
You can fit it all in but it is a squeeze. Buying again I would make sure I bought the bigger version to give me a bit more room.
Old 16 July 2008, 16:49   #23

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sharlot View Post
If you need to fit a radio, the battery will need to go under a seat,
Not necessarily..... I surface mounted the radio on the port side, face level with the sloping face, and built a protective lid from ply & 'glass. Doesn't stick out any further than the throttle on the other side, and is surprisingly easy to read, even though it's at 90 degrees to where you expect it! ..... There's a surprising amount of room in there, but as Bruce says, it's tight. Careful choice of battery might improve matters too?

....but yeah, some more console acreage would be better!

ref. the relief valves I have orange-ish toobs (there's a restoration thread here waiting to happen.....) and have only once had to deflate them slightly for towing on a particularly sunny (for Scotland!) day. Had to re-inflate when it hit the water tho'.
Old 16 July 2008, 20:32   #24

Town: Taunton
Make: Ribcraft
Thanks for all the advice. Going up on tuesday armed with my credit card! Is it worth paying £100 for a fuel gauge? With the console tank can you see how full it is?

Silly question but are garages happy with you driving in with boat on trailer and filling boat up? There are no silly laws that say you can't are there?
Old 16 July 2008, 21:28   #25
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sharlot View Post
If you need to fit a radio, the battery will need to go under a seat,
or... buy a Standard Horizon VFH and get the command mic, job done as you can mount the main part of the VHF where ever you like.
Old 16 July 2008, 22:07   #26

You just need to choose your radio carefully, an Icom M505 is very shallow.
This pic shows my Assault under construction. you can just make out where the instruments are mounted on top, the 70l fuel tank mounted within the console before the hatch covering the hole was fitted, the VHF and switch panel and the rev counter.
There is an 85AH battery in the top of the console behind the VHF, a fuse box between the two inside the console and a hatch under the seat to access the area left and the rear of the tank.
It all did fit but was very tight and was the very devil to work on as there wan't an inch of extra space.
In the same circumstances I would get the bigger console if I was doing it again!
Depending on how handy/rich you are, the xtras like fuel tanks, gauges etc are a bit of a rip off. I mean how can you justify pricing a set of hydraulic steering at £600 fitted when it costs £350 to buy and you already just about paying for the time to fit it as part of the cost of the boat?
Anyway, maybe thats the T**ght Ba**d coming out in me!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	36386  
Old 16 July 2008, 22:30   #27

Town: TELFORD
Boat name: BLACKWIDOW
Make: HUMBER ATTAQUE
Engine: TOHATSU
Chatts
I have an Attaque 5.3 with a 90 Tohatsu TLDI.This is an ideal power to weight setup.Engine very economical compared to 75 hp 2 stroke Mercury previously on transom.Top speed did not increase by much but acceleration is impressive.Sorry to join thread so late but have not visited site for a while.If you would like to have a go on ours you are more than welcome.We are based in North Wales and only 15 miles from Jono.I purchased craft new in 2001 and have had no problems with hull or tubes.When not in water boat always covered and still looks in very good condition.The trailer is an Indespension unbraked.We launch directly into sea off beach.(no slipway)The outfit is light enough for 2 men launch.
Old 17 July 2008, 11:07   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatts View Post
Is it worth paying £100 for a fuel gauge?

Silly question but are garages happy with you driving in with boat on trailer and filling boat up? There are no silly laws that say you can't are there?
Can't comment on the console tank, but I find the guages on the portable tanks are about as much use as a fart in a spacesuit.

Seems to depend on the garage. With the portable tanks I have had mixed reactions from different garages if I pull them out the boot & try to fill. Never had a problem filling them in the boat, but you do get some funny looks if it's not a garage by the sea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
In the same circumstances I would get the bigger console if I was doing it again!
Hmmm do I detect a theme here?
Old 17 July 2008, 12:00   #29

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
Quote:
Is it worth paying £100 for a fuel gauge
No!
the ones they have fitted for us have been useless so we spec without them now-a length of broomstick dipped in the tank is far more accurate but a tad difficult to use at 30knots. Spend the money on pressure relief valves instead, whatever the tube colour.
Old 17 July 2008, 12:56   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post

Hmmm do I detect a theme here?
You have seen the size of the console on the new hull? And its still not big enough for everything and tight to work in!
Old 18 July 2008, 09:30   #31

If it's the pic in your post above, yep, it's the same (well, almost, but it's near enough the same) console they were fitting in 1978!

I think it would be safe to say that if you want to fit more than a wheel and a remotes box, might be worth looking at the bigger console!
Old 18 July 2008, 21:52   #32

Nope, THIS one isn't big enough, I ran out of room inside and it is a bit tight to work in without removing the batteries.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture%20042.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	36426  
Old 21 July 2008, 10:39   #33

Town: Taunton
Make: Ribcraft
Spiderweb - Thanks for the offer of a test run. Fairly confident this is the package I will go for and am going to Humber tomorrow to take a look at the boats.

Do you think there is enough power to pull a heavy (& bad) skier with 3 big adults on the boat?
Old 22 July 2008, 18:06   #34

Town: TELFORD
Boat name: BLACKWIDOW
Make: HUMBER ATTAQUE
Engine: TOHATSU
Chatts 90 hp Tohatsu wil be ideal.We have 15 and 17 pitch aluminium props.A 16 pitch probably ideal.Rib is very responsive to throttle with either prop.Plenty of power to pull skier or wake board.
Old 01 August 2008, 09:13   #35

Town: Mudeford
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.3
Engine: 90ho Tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderweb View Post
Chatts 90 hp Tohatsu wil be ideal.We have 15 and 17 pitch aluminium props.A 16 pitch probably ideal.Rib is very responsive to throttle with either prop.Plenty of power to pull skier or wake board.
5.3 Ocean pro and Tohatsu TLDI 90 is a very good combination. It's what i have, cheap, light and very good fuel consumption. The 15in pitch from is a bit small, you will be hitting the rev limiter all the time. The 17in is a bit big. Try and get one with a 16in prop. Would recommend an anchor locker as i don't think they come as standard. good luck!!