Old 27 August 2003, 11:30   #11

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Throttles then. Arek is quite right, about going up and down waves, (we are talking offshore rather than the Solent chop which normally defies any technique other than just go for it). You will notice that with the power on the bow rises and when the power comes off the bow falls. So going down the waves put the power on which helps lift the bow and stops it stuffing. If you take the power off the bow drops, as does the speed and you run straight into the back of the next wave. Boat stops and you are in danger of broaching the boat from the wave that is now coming up from behind you. Big waves move very fast. Going into the waves take the power off just as you get to the top, the bow drops and the boat rides over the wave without going air bourne, but its all about timing and you will never get all the waves right so expect the odd "oops".

The standard side mount throttles with most outboards are "bonk" and don't allow the driver enough finese, try holding the lever stalk rather than the top of the handle. The friction controls also leave something to be desired. Next time you see someone with top mount controls ask to have a fiddle with his levers to see the difference.

Pete

Old 27 August 2003, 11:46   #12

Boat name: ONYX
Make: HALMATIC PACIFIC 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: FORD MERMAIDtd 140HP
Other technique

Other technique, which I used, going with the wave, was not fiddling with throttle, but with steering wheel. On top of the wave I slightly steered off to dont go directly down, but to make kind of side-slide. It was working really good. And without changing reevs all the times, the amount of petrol used by engin decreases. BTW, conditions at this time: wind force 10, waves 2-3 m, quite short and steep (Baltic Sea). RIB 4,5 m with high volume bow, 60 HP Mercury

Arek Pawelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2003, 11:59   #13

Boat name: ONYX
Make: HALMATIC PACIFIC 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: FORD MERMAIDtd 140HP
Zodiac Pro II

gtflash wrote: "im also considering a 7.5m ish size rib. Its interesting that nobody ever seems to mention either zodiac, or phantom ribs. I know zodiac have dep v and big tubes,..."

I used Zodiac PRO II, which has deep V bow, and riding of this boat was really nice! Either down waves, and back, up-waves. Size of the boat was 4,5 or something like that. Later I had a few rides on Bombard Explorer 6 m, 90 HP Evinrude. Very good boat. And again, deep V bow, and high volume tubes. Much more comfortable ride, than on other boat, which I used (Sportis 6,1, 115 HP Evinrude), which has high volume bow.

Arek Pawelek is offline   Reply With Quote