Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Oh, and almost forgot

5 - Rescued the skipper of an Arctic 28 with engine failure on the Seine
Yes, hilarious

Originally Posted by SPR View Post
one reason for owning one, is to stop your wife tracking you!

Simulating GPS failing in an Advance course?

Wrong thread Scott
GPS Tracker jammer - your thoughts please...

martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2011, 15:44   #12
Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
Martini forgot to mention towing me to Granville on Christmas Day. I've towed two boats back to harbour, towed several wandering around in the harbour and like Matt was involved in an offshore rescue last year.

GJ0KYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2011, 15:52   #13
Trade member
Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
Originally Posted by martini
Yes, hilarious

Wrong thread Scott
GPS Tracker jammer - your thoughts please...
doh slaps head homer simpson style - I blame the 52 mph wind ... fried my head!
SPRmarine / SPRtraining
RYA Training Courses & Safety Equipment Sales
SPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2011, 17:14   #14
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Not a lot of opportunities for rescue here but -

- Towed a speedboat with engine failure back to the beach, still awaiting the promised case of beer two years later there will be a next time!

- Went out to help a search for missing divers - a team of divers had shipped their two ribs down from the UK to go diving here, and some of them got carried away by the current so they requested assistance with a search. Launched and got out there just as the other boats found them, to find one of the ribs motoring around the dive site on his aux, looking a bit p***ed off. They seemed OK so we set off back to find the other rib waiting for them a mile or so away. They couldn't raise the man on the aux, as their radio wouldn't work, so I called the first rib up and I think the conversation went something like "please tell them that SOMEBODY forgot to check the oil tank before we left and SOMEBODY forgot to check there was any oil in the console" - whoops - anyway message was duly passed, judging by the faces I think "somebody" was on the rib sitting next to us anyway we went back to the first rib with them and waited around till they had the main engine running again and then left them to it.

- Towed a few derelict rafts during and after the annual New Year's Day raft race

I have also been involved with a search for missing fishermen (jumped overboard) but not on my boat - and sadly without success
A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you throw money...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2011, 03:35   #15
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Over the last decade or two, had quite a few rescues. I'd guess about 8-10

Best was a call from a WAFI delivering from America. 12 mile off the coast of N Wales, no wind, engine dead. Brand new 40ft yacht towed by diesel dub dub fishing boat at no more than a few knots. Maaaaannnny hours later we put him on a mooring. It was in the morning we went back out to him and said casually "you did try bleeding the engine for an air lock?"..... "what do you mean?" How can someone delivering a 100k yacht not know what that means. Suffice to say, that was the problem. Been sailing for days and then when they tried the engine, nothing.

Also found a drifting old fletcher type with inboard waving their paddles at us. Grandad (no lj) Dad (no lj) and son (6 ish, no lj) trying to paddle against the tide, but drifting at 2 knots away from land. Flat battery. No radio, no flares, nothing. They'd phoned the RNLI but didn't know how to describe to them where they were. We gave them our spare battery and called the RNLI to where they were. We even had a strange look from the RNLI when we told them they were just fitting a new battery we had given them. "where's yours then?" "we carry a spare." Must be rare on a 5.4SR, but then my old man pretty much used to carry a spare boat in the boat....... until it all started getting nicked each week since last year.
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2011, 05:30   #16
Town: Northampton
Make: RibTec
Engine: Outbaord mariner 75

first one was when I was out in tenby and we came accross a speed boat behind the island dead in the water.
Covers off and the use of a large pair of pliers across the starter solonoid to start it and they were off.
second was to a yacht in plymouth sound with no rudder. stood on station untill the navy arrived to tow it back. too big to tow with mine but kept it off the breakwater.
third was to free a yachts prop of line in Dale sound. Good job we had all our diving gear and enough air... guy never even offered to give us a few coins for the effort.. miserable yachtty.

jezza2011 is offline   Reply With Quote