Old 23 September 2012, 12:05   #1

Town: London
Length: 4m +
High Speed Navigation

When using non-electronic charts for high speed navigation in open ribs do people use special 'wet weather' charts, or are they just standard charts, but laminated?

From the pictures I've seen, it looks like there may be smaller, more specific charts, rather than the large standard ones, but I'm not sure...

Old 23 September 2012, 12:16   #2

Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjmehra
When using non-electronic charts for high speed navigation in open ribs do people use special 'wet weather' charts, or are they just standard charts, but laminated?

From the pictures I've seen, it looks like there may be smaller, more specific charts, rather than the large standard ones, but I'm not sure...
Just follow yea nose and squeeze yea cheeks together

B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2012, 12:31   #3
Trade member

Town: UK
Length: 5m +
I use a Gaastra Chart Seal Bag for my paper chart back-up. A2 size i.e. Imray 2000 Series size charts/Admiralty Leisure Folio etc. Been out in some weather and it hasn't let any moisture in Chris
Old 23 September 2012, 12:52   #4

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Depends what size RIB your on. If you have a large surface to put the chart on it'll make life alot easier.

If your knelt down with the chart on a seat trying to plot where your going its hard work at rest let alone at speed.
Old 23 September 2012, 13:15   #5

Our RIB is 5.5m, that chart seal bag looks interesting!

Its something that I believe is covered in the Advanced Powerboat course, so I thought it may be worth getting some practice in, as I fancy doing the course!
Old 23 September 2012, 13:19   #6
RIBnet supporter

Town: Tisted Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
MMSI: 235
Send a message via MSN to LURCHER
Charts

When I did my advanced powerboat course we preplotted our course and drew it on to A4 sheets In big felt tip letters so it is easy to see in the dark with distance time course and the bouy or mark we were heading to then laminated the page for each leg .this worked well till we hit a big wave and it all went over the side!
Old 23 September 2012, 13:25   #7

Town: Hull, East Yorkshire
Boat name: Hull Uni One
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: OB, Petrol, 140HP
Navigating (in the traditional sense with a chart and dividers etc) is nigh on impossible in a small RIB at speed.
My approach is to make a 'flight plan' which is basically a list of waypoints, distances, bearings and estimated times between them, and somewhere to note the actual time at each WPT. Laminate it or put it in a plastic wallet and use a chinagraph pencil to note actual times (and depths if appropriate).
I keep paper charts in a zip up chart case under the seat for emergency use.
Old 23 September 2012, 13:27   #8

Ah I see, that makes more sense, I sort of do that anyway, I thought there was a requirement to actually plot whilst on the passage! That makes more sense now :-)
Old 23 September 2012, 13:50   #9
Trade member

Town: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post
Ah I see, that makes more sense, I sort of do that anyway, I thought there was a requirement to actually plot whilst on the passage! That makes more sense now :-)
My basic passage+planning approach is:

1/ As Dry-Doc says - do a 'dining room' passage plan. I write mine up on one of those small divers slates with a china graph pencil and then I can refer to it during the passage and also use it as my log to mark up position/time/course at the pre-written waypoints or if viz becomes a worry.

2/ I take the paper chart [in the Gaastra bag] and I also have a hand held battery powered GPS in my grab bag, both of which I would only pull out if my chartplotter/power failed and I needed to plot my position and to set a course. If the heandheld GPS also failed (I would be thinking someone really had it in for me at that point!) then I could do a rough EP with the chinagraph on the Chart cover.

Probably not textbook and not a form of high speed nav as OP asked but with a chartplotter life is so easy but as always a backup plan is critical.

Chris
Old 24 September 2012, 05:31   #10

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
A2 on an open boat??????

I have been given coutless laminated event plans / call sign lists etc all nicely laminated A4, but they are - to be as polite as I can be on this subject - a right royal pain in the @rse.

I do use a plotter, but as said - a backup plan is always a good thing. I have memory map charts on the PC at home which allow you to print a copy for your own use. I am in the process of (only 'coz I'm doing it on an "as & when" for a new cruising ground) printing & laminating A5 charts, and using stainless key fobs to turn them into a "flipchart" with "next page" references drawn on the sides of each chart print before lamination. It's small enough to bungee to the wheel hub, & doesn't do spinnaker impersonations when the engine is in gear!

Absolutely second the chinagraph pencil - if velcro'ed to the console somewhere can also be used for scribbling down mayday details if you get a non DSC shout.