Old 12 November 2011, 20:04   #1

Town: Australia
Boat name: Independent (Indy)
Make: Avon SR6
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin 90hp E-Tec 2016
Help Me Please

Hi All,

I have a 1996 Searider 6.0, with twin 90hp ETECs. She has treated me well, generally speaking, but it is tired. Taking a bit of water through the Hull. I am considering the expensive cost of gutting it and redoing the deck, and possibly seeing if I can get a larger underfloor tank. Currently I have approx 160 litre tank.

Alternatively, I would consider a new hull. But if I went this way I would want around a 7m hull for which my Twin 90 etecs would drive well. They are just on 3 years old and have done 240 hours.

Ideally I would want approximately 320 litre under floor fuel capacity due to the long isolated trips I do.

I would effectively be looking for a package which included Hull/Tank/Console/Strong A-Frame. Manufacturer Capable of customising the Deck with Captured Nuts, so I can retro fit fittings without drilling/bolting through deck. Strong Off-Shore your cat-b type capability.

Buying New, I would have to have it shipped over to Australia. It needs to be trailerable so beam restriction would be to no more than 2.6. Legal over here is 2.5m before permit, but 2.6 would suffice - either I obtain permit, or deflate a bit in travel.

My initial look so far has brought up the Humber Ocean Pro 7.

Any recommendations of this boat, particuarly for comparison to SR6 in ocean capabilities and fitting with twin 90's.

I would also appreciate feedback on any other recommended offshore capable vessel with similar specs to what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12 November 2011, 22:34   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Since all you require is a hull, console and tubes I would encourage you to look at a 7m Osprey Viper hull. Just a superb rib hull and a real pleasure to drive.

I deeply regret selling my 5.95m version.

Pete
Old 12 November 2011, 23:23   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Do you think the leak is coming from skin fittings, topside or hull?

The Humber is no where near as well put together as the Avon

Manufactureres such as Osprey and Psarker can make you excellent bespoke Ribs at reasonable prices. Your captive nut system is in my opinion the way to go look at the bigheads and youll see how easyt is for the manufacturer to do something for you or for you to enhance the SR6.

Personally I'd chuck some money at the Searider, they always say thank you

http://www.bighead.co.uk/

go on put a couple of pictures of the hull and deck on the thread
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2011, 09:03   #4

I suspect topside and skin fittings regarding the leaks. Thanks for the heads up on the Big Heads.

I will also look at the osprey and parker. If I keep the SR I will probably end up putting more money into that than a new hull. At the same time, I know I will have a good barge if I did.

Decisions

Thanks.
Old 13 November 2011, 20:20   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
A 7m hull with twin 90s isn't going to be a flyer, especially if you go for one of the better made (heavy) hulls. The Etecs aren't the gruntiest of 90's.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2011, 21:29   #6

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
A 7m hull with twin 90s isn't going to be a flyer, especially if you go for one of the better made (heavy) hulls. The Etecs aren't the gruntiest of 90's.
A 6.5 Vipermax would go well with a pair of 90's my old one pulled 43knots with a 150. THe 6.5 is a big boat for its size anyway so would rival many other 7.0s

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2011, 21:37   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_sav View Post

I will also look at the osprey and parker. If I keep the SR I will probably end up putting more money into that than a new hull..

Unlikely renovating GRP is relatively cheap and quite quick
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2011, 21:38   #8

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I'd put the 150 against a pair of 90's anyday
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2011, 22:45   #9

Town: London
Engine: 250hp
mr_sav,

Humber Ocean pro is a very capable rib, I have owned a few Humber ribs in the past and Can't say enough good things about them especially on their capabilities and performance in the sea. They are NOT the most beautiful ribs in the market, and Humber has not done enough to make them more family-friendly, but nevertheless they are still very popular among all rescue organisations, and some serious rib fans. Compared to other brands such as Ribcraft, Ribeye, etc. they are also cheaper.

The only thing which worries me is if the transom is big enough for twin package as I have not seen a twin set on them yet, but I suppose if you contact them they can guide you better.
Old 14 November 2011, 15:53   #10

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_sav View Post
Hi All,

I have a 1996 Searider 6.0, with twin 90hp ETECs. She has treated me well, generally speaking, but it is tired. Taking a bit of water through the Hull. I am considering the expensive cost of gutting it and redoing the deck, and possibly seeing if I can get a larger underfloor tank. Currently I have approx 160 litre tank.

Alternatively, I would consider a new hull. But if I went this way I would want around a 7m hull for which my Twin 90 etecs would drive well. They are just on 3 years old and have done 240 hours.

Ideally I would want approximately 320 litre under floor fuel capacity due to the long isolated trips I do.

I would effectively be looking for a package which included Hull/Tank/Console/Strong A-Frame. Manufacturer Capable of customising the Deck with Captured Nuts, so I can retro fit fittings without drilling/bolting through deck. Strong Off-Shore your cat-b type capability.

Buying New, I would have to have it shipped over to Australia. It needs to be trailerable so beam restriction would be to no more than 2.6. Legal over here is 2.5m before permit, but 2.6 would suffice - either I obtain permit, or deflate a bit in travel.

My initial look so far has brought up the Humber Ocean Pro 7.

Any recommendations of this boat, particuarly for comparison to SR6 in ocean capabilities and fitting with twin 90's.

I would also appreciate feedback on any other recommended offshore capable vessel with similar specs to what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance.
Take a look at the Ribcraft 6.8 (I would say that!)
It is big for its size! Internal beam 1.7m. External beam may be a bit wide at 2.7m,but you could always let the tubes down for Towing,if the Rozzers over there are THAT hot. Internal lenghth of 5.8m Tube diameter .530m
7 section tubes. Cat 'B'. and with Five year warranty on Hull AND Tubes.
Pluss a 270 litre Stailess steel fuel tank as a standard option.( Larger custom if needed)
There's some good video of one going round the UK just put on You tube,if you want a look.
In fact THAT Boat is shortly up for sale,as it was only purchased for the Circumnavigation...
The owner being 'Rag and Stick' man normaly.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2011, 19:24   #11

Guys thanks, still looking at options, refer my other query on the Zodiac Sea Rider and SR670.

I will look at the ribcraft as well. Cheers.