Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHTEC View Post
If its not too much hassle some photos so we know what we are dealing with would be fantastic.

thanks
Photo's as requested - they should be self explanatory - but they all show the bolt in question - good luck

Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0001.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	65905

Name:	SANY0002.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	65906

Name:	SANY0004.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	65907
Old 26 February 2012, 15:08   #22

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30T/40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
Just as well I'm back from my skiing. A welder could drop a nut on top of that bit of stud and puddle weld inside. The heat from the welding will expand the Ali. Once the nuts in place give it a solid wack with a hammer to shock it and then undo it.
If it snaps off again then drill through the centre of the stud with ever growing sizes of drills. Use cutting fluid.if you're slightly off centre you will come to the edge of stud then it will loosen up enough to turn what is left. Don't be tempted to drill further than that.
Above all don't break the drill bit in it. Start with about 3mm and work up from there. Once the first hole is done the rest will be easier. Just go steady. The drilling bit should take about half hour to an hour to do it nice and steady. The welding bit would take me ten mins most
And all I would add to that is the drilling around the stud with a small drill to powder the corrosion.
Old 05 March 2017, 09:59   #23

Boat name: Leeloo
Make: SR4.7
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I now have EXACTLY the same problem with my Yamaha 30 6J8's (yes both of them ) - does anyone know if this was ever resolved?!

I soaked the bolts in plenty of penetrating oil before attempting removal but they both stuck. The first one I thought was actually coming out but I was clearly just twisting the shaft, the second went almost instantly. The remains of the bolts are corroded to the casing and are holding the lower unit on very securely.

As far as I can see my options are to leave this alone until I get an impeller problem, which seems pretty irresponsible. Or to try to find a solution. Reading through this thread and online I'm wondering if centre punching the stud and trying a very fine reverse drill bit might be a good way to start but it sounds unlikely that I will be able to accurately drill these by hand.

Any further suggestions gratefully received.
Old 05 March 2017, 15:40   #24

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Have you managed to drop the leg? Get some pictures posted up so we can see what's what.