Click Here to Login

Old 06 May 2009, 19:19   #1

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
Hello from a new member.......

Having taken a few trips over to the Isle of Wight from Portsmouth, I am hooked.

I don't have a boat (having spent most of my leisure time around cars), but I intend to buy one. However it seems an almost overwhelming subject to someone who knows absolutely nothing about boating - RIBs in particular.

My intention is buy a second hand RIB, probably 6.5m that can seat 6 or so comfortably. I'm looking in the for sale section on here as well as the many RIBs for sale sites, but it's hard to know what's good and what's not! It seems that a £15-20k budget should do it, along with having the boat racked somewhere rather than buggering about with a trailer.

My sea-going aspirations stretch as far as leaving Portsmouth and getting to Cowes for lunch - but having some fast fun en route, visiting a few beaches in the summer, so hardly the stuff of a real mariner.

Advice welcome.... thanks....
Old 06 May 2009, 20:06   #2

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Hi & welcome - best advice I'd give is get over to Ribex over the weekend & try some some stuff out, chat to a few people & then see what ' floats your boat' .

You can try all differing types & costs & while new costs can be high you can get good deals at the mo & a lot of 'trade in' boats that are for sale can be discussed with .

The day in cowes & ticket cost will pay for itself in about 5 minutes of trying a boat especially if you want the right boat for the solent - no better place to try it !
Old 06 May 2009, 20:44   #3

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Well worth coming over to RIBex this weekend. Both my self and roywebster will be exhibiting at the show, and can give you details of used RIBs that meet your criteria. If you want a couple of free tickets, drop me a PM on here and I'll get some over to you.
Old 06 May 2009, 22:09   #4

I will try to get over this weekend - Tim, thanks for the offer I'll ping you a mail.

Would I be right to assume that the car parks in Portsmouth are going to be rammed solid this weekend?!
Old 06 May 2009, 22:10   #5

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Probably - they are most weekends! The camber is probably the best place to start. Alternatively we are running a RIB over to RIBex from Southampton. There is plenty of free parking.
Old 07 May 2009, 07:37   #6

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilda View Post
Having taken a few trips over to the Isle of Wight from Portsmouth, I am hooked.

I don't have a boat (having spent most of my leisure time around cars), but I intend to buy one. However it seems an almost overwhelming subject to someone who knows absolutely nothing about boating - RIBs in particular.

My intention is buy a second hand RIB, probably 6.5m that can seat 6 or so comfortably. I'm looking in the for sale section on here as well as the many RIBs for sale sites, but it's hard to know what's good and what's not! It seems that a £15-20k budget should do it, along with having the boat racked somewhere rather than buggering about with a trailer.

My sea-going aspirations stretch as far as leaving Portsmouth and getting to Cowes for lunch - but having some fast fun en route, visiting a few beaches in the summer, so hardly the stuff of a real mariner.

Advice welcome.... thanks....

Neilda, you sound like a prime candidate for these guys. If I was looking to just cruise the solent area this would be my solution. You will save yourself a lot of money and have a much nice rib to boot (albeit a share in one)

They have several locations around the solent area.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2009, 08:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Neilda, you sound like a prime candidate for these guys. If I was looking to just cruise the solent area this would be my solution. You will save yourself a lot of money and have a much nice rib to boot (albeit a share in one)

They have several locations around the solent area.
Hi Chris, was there a link missing? Which guys?

I could be tempted into a part share - I had a part share in a rare Aston once. However that was only done so I could tell my wife I was 'borrowing it' and my mate used the same routine with his wife.

Unfortunately our cunning plan was discovered before the car was even delivered by the auction house.

That aside, I quite like 'ownership' rather than having to check with someone, boating for me would always be a spur of the moment decision based on weather....
Old 07 May 2009, 08:54   #8

http://www.ribshackmarine.co.uk

The Ribeye is a good Rib for what you want to do it is nicely fitted out and capable of handling the Solent Chop whilst providing a smooth ride.

Born fiddler
Old 07 May 2009, 08:58   #9

Neil,

One thing I remember about RibShack was that the guy on here "Andy B" I was talking to explained that even if your shared boat is in use there is nearly always another available so he had never had a problem getting out when he wanted to.

Born fiddler
Old 07 May 2009, 09:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
http://www.ribshackmarine.co.uk

The Ribeye is a good Rib for what you want to do it is nicely fitted out and capable of handling the Solent Chop whilst providing a smooth ride.
That sounds interesting for a beginner - looks like a quarter share in a boat? I wonder if, when you first take up the hobby, you want to be on the water all the time rather than one week in four? If you did a half share (circa £12k+) you're almost in the territory of owning it yourself.

It's a tempting package, but I suspect being slightly obsessive about my interests (only in that I want it ALL and I want it RIGHT NOW kind of way ) if sharing would really work for me?
Old 07 May 2009, 17:39   #11
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Before you take the plunge (excuse the pun) I would really try to get across to Ribex this weekend, if the Ribshack idea then takes your fancy they are also there with almost every other option from new to second hand. Also a good time to ge out in the RIBS on The Solent which I believe you have said is the area for you presently.

If you wnat to go further afield dont forget what is towable with your car etc, Again Ribshack have just expanded their area of ops to further afield which might open up some more for you, They also offer powerboat training with their deals. What ever you choose dont forget to get training. Good hunting
Old 07 May 2009, 17:50   #12

Hi Ian, I will be at Ribex on Sunday... and I will definitely get some training. As is often mentioned here, common sense is one of the vital ingredients - common sense shouts loud and clear that training is vital. Particularly taking other souls on board and knowing what to do in an emergency.....