Old 23 October 2019, 12:25   #1

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Great Yarmouth slipway useful info

Thought I'd post this for reference as it has come up previously:

Great Yarmouth (Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk) is somewhat lacking in public slips. The nearest to the North is all the way round the coast at Blakeney and Morston (about 30nm), the nearest to the South is Lowestoft (aprox 10nm).

There is one viable option; next door to the Yarmouth and Gorleston RNLI station (NR31 6PU). It's a decent concrete slip, and there's a pay and display carpark a moments walk from it. It is however pretty steep and very narrow; if launching anything sizeable you'll need a decent 4x4, and I'd recommend two people as there is nowhere to tie your boat up once launched so really someone needs to drive the boat off the trailer and hover by the slip while the other person parks the car etc.

I did a few recent visits at various states of the tide to establish a useable window. The slip drops off in line with the quayside so you're limited to how deep you can go (don't fall off the end as it's a long way down after!)

A realistic window (for a smaller RIB) seems to be around 3 1/2 hours either side of HW. Photos one and two were taken 3 1/2 before with a tidal height of 1.6m. The one showing the drop off was taken 4 hours after with a tidal height of 1.3m

Hope that might be of use to someone one day
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0491.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	131255   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0493.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	131256   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0599.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	131257  
Old 23 October 2019, 16:10   #2

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
For a minute then I thought that looks nothing like the slipway next to the lifeboat in Yarmouth - the penny then dropped.

It might be worthwhile updating the boat launch website. I thought there was a link to it on here but I can't find it.

Boatlaunch

There's possibly a slip at the north end of North River Road but I've no idea on whether you can use it.
Old 23 October 2019, 16:42   #3

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
There's possibly a slip at the north end of North River Road but I've no idea on whether you can use it.

Yes there is. Launching by appointment; it’s owned by a retired fellow who’s there when the mood takes him. I’ve used it before. A good slip but gets incredibly muddy, likewise unless you negotiate the use of a key it’s rather hit and miss as to whether you can gain access.