Old 23 November 2010, 13:24   #1

Town: Southend on Sea
Boat name: Ego
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 50hp
Going down the tubes

Hi guys, I am new to Ribs, so apologies in advance if I ask any stupid questions.

I have recently brought a 4m Narwhal NK 400 Rib off ebay, it came complete with trailer, 40 horse electric start mercury, centre console and everything is pretty straight with the exception of the tubes.

Having read some of the threads understand that the tubes are Hypertex (PVC) and the process/materials I need to follow for glueing them but I can blow the whole boat up from one valve, so clearly all the seperate chamber valves are shot so was considering going down the inner tube route.

Have found a guy in Lincolnshire who will do me a good deal on a full set of inner tubes, (guaranteed for 5 years) but before I part with the hard earned cash wondered what the general feeling was on the inner tube solution.

Look forwards to your word of wisdom

PS any opinions on the NK 400 also received with interest
Old 23 November 2010, 14:24   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratch-boy View Post
Hi guys, I am new to Ribs, so apologies in advance if I ask any stupid questions.

I have recently brought a 4m Narwhal NK 400 Rib off ebay, it came complete with trailer, 40 horse electric start mercury, centre console and everything is pretty straight with the exception of the tubes.

Having read some of the threads understand that the tubes are Hypertex (PVC) and the process/materials I need to follow for glueing them but I can blow the whole boat up from one valve, so clearly all the seperate chamber valves are shot so was considering going down the inner tube route.

Have found a guy in Lincolnshire who will do me a good deal on a full set of inner tubes, (guaranteed for 5 years) but before I part with the hard earned cash wondered what the general feeling was on the inner tube solution.

Look forwards to your word of wisdom

PS any opinions on the NK 400 also received with interest
Why not do a search on here for Gemini
Old 23 November 2010, 15:04   #3

Thanks bedajim, it would seem that Gemini have rather a lot of history.

Further investigation has revealed only one major hole, but its a peach, looks like the boat has either been kniefed or hit something very sharp. in view of only one leek might investigate the repair option.

Any advice?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rib1.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	55664  
Old 23 November 2010, 15:06   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Thanks bedajim, it would seem that Gemini have rather a lot of history.

Further investigation has revealed only one major hole, but its a peach, looks like the boat has either been kniefed or hit something very sharp. in view of only one leek might investigate the repair option.

Any advice?
Where abouts in the UK are you?
Old 23 November 2010, 15:39   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
The "inflate the boat from one valve" thing might still be a worry. That means it will also deflate the entire tubeset from one failure point.

jky
Old 23 November 2010, 16:09   #6

Bedajim, Location wise, I am in Southend on the Thames Estuary.

jyasaki point taken , but I was hoping that if I can get a reasonable amount of pressure in and warm the tubes up a bit they might come back to life.

If I can get the repair done, I think extensive inshore testing will follow before I get too carried away.
Old 23 November 2010, 20:58   #7

Town: bournemouth
Boat name: ribbed for pleasure
Make: bwm
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
gemini tubes

interesting to hear that jack bowran aka gemini tubes is STILL touting for work, despite telling people he has now retired (but hes always willing to come out of retirement if its a paying job) just not if the tubes he has sold you weeks before dont fit/dont hold air.

do yourself a favour pay for a reputable tube maker theres loads on here, yes it will cost you more but if you pay jack bowran any money yopu will regret it trust me i did his tubes dont even hold air straight from the factory(or his garage) where his wife and her sewing cirlcle sew yes sew tubes together.
Old 23 November 2010, 21:03   #8

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Still an add in the most recent rib magazine for Gemini....