Old 15 September 2016, 14:26   #11

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Just how badly scratched is it?
If it's just minor scuffing to provide a key for the anti-foul system you'll probably get a decent result using a power polisher with a hard mop & a cutting compound - e.g Farecla G3 or similar. You could consider using fine abrasive pads to refine the surface before polishing - 1000, 1500, 2000 or 3000 grit are available - & I'd advise using a DA sander if you want to go that route.
If it's really badly scratched or other repaired areas become visible as you remove the antifoul then you might want to consider just re-antifouling it as anything else is likely to be a lot of work & as the area you'll be working on is going to be underwater in use is it really worth the time & effort?

Old 15 September 2016, 15:00   #12

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
It all depends on what your doing give east coast a ring very helpful tell them what you want to achieve then you will know what's the best finish you can get.

Old 16 September 2016, 16:38   #13

Town: Chard, Somerset
Length: 6m +
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Some reading for you first so you know what you're looking at:-

Flowcoat/Gelcoat/Topcoat/Nonslip confusion

For prep before applying flowcoat, it'll need degreasing thoroughly and keying again. How you put it on is up to you, but my efforts using a brush have convinced me that other people's suggestion of using a gloss roller is going to be far better.

DO NOT mix up a lot of flowcoat at a time, it's a 2 part material and it heats up when curing and can start to smoke/pop in the mixing bucket. It doesn't take long to cure either.

Probably best to spend a while searching the archives as there's loads of useful tips there.
Will have a read, thanks for the info
Old 16 September 2016, 16:42   #14

Town: Chard, Somerset
Length: 6m +
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
Just how badly scratched is it?
If it's just minor scuffing to provide a key for the anti-foul system you'll probably get a decent result using a power polisher with a hard mop & a cutting compound - e.g Farecla G3 or similar. You could consider using fine abrasive pads to refine the surface before polishing - 1000, 1500, 2000 or 3000 grit are available - & I'd advise using a DA sander if you want to go that route.
If it's really badly scratched or other repaired areas become visible as you remove the antifoul then you might want to consider just re-antifouling it as anything else is likely to be a lot of work & as the area you'll be working on is going to be underwater in use is it really worth the time & effort?
Until i reveal more cant exactly tell, it looks dull rather than nice and glossy and shiny, will certainly give the machine polishing a go before going down the gel or flow coat route i think