Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 07 February 2010, 09:25   #1
Member
 
lakelandterrier's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,126
Gaffer Tape Adhesive Removal

Unwilling to fork out for a new cover at the end of the season, I patched the ripped - and ripping cover with lots of lovely gaffer tape. Unfortunately it wasn't enough & when the cover ripped even more in the gales, lots of gaffer tape attached itself to the tubes before blowing away, leaving unsightly stips of gaffer tape backing & adhesive on the tubes.

What's the best way of cleaning this off without damaging the tubes - scrubbing brush & fairy liquid, or a solvent of some description -if so what ?

It's an Avon with blue tubes so any discolouration will show plainly.

all suggestions gratefully received as always

LT
__________________

__________________
lakelandterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2010, 09:41   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 hp
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 582
Fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
Unwilling to fork out for a new cover at the end of the season, I patched the ripped - and ripping cover with lots of lovely gaffer tape. Unfortunately it wasn't enough & when the cover ripped even more in the gales, lots of gaffer tape attached itself to the tubes before blowing away, leaving unsightly stips of gaffer tape backing & adhesive on the tubes.

What's the best way of cleaning this off without damaging the tubes - scrubbing brush & fairy liquid, or a solvent of some description -if so what ?

It's an Avon with blue tubes so any discolouration will show plainly.

all suggestions gratefully received as always

LT


Petrol lighter fluid is what i use for all sticky labels as well.

You don't need to rub hard dry it off and wash with soapy water afterwards.
__________________

__________________
Sonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2010, 09:56   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Tikka
Make: Halmatic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Evinrude 70hp
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8
WD40 is really effective as well.
__________________
blueparamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2010, 11:48   #4
RIBnet supporter
 
Ian M's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Milton
Boat name: Jianna
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 E-TEC
MMSI: 235076954
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,933
Acetone.
__________________
Ian

Dust creation specialist
Ian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2010, 14:26   #5
RIBnet supporter
 
nugent's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bromsgrove
Boat name: Kick-Ass !
Make: PAC/Artic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 250hp Yamaha
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,385
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...Id_165651#dtab




"Having bought an ambulance to convert into a camper, I had lots of stickers to remove. I removed them all, but there was lot's of sticky residue left. I tried all the remedies suggested by friends in the trade and nothing worked. I then tried Sticky Stuff Remover and it 'did what it said on the tin'. It was still hard work, but this stuff does soften the residue which then allows you to remove it with a suitable scraper."
__________________

MY BIGGEST WORRY IS THAT MY WIFE(WHEN I"M DEAD)WILL SELL MY TOY'S FOR WHAT I SAID I PAID FOR THEM.
nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2010, 15:10   #6
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by nugent View Post
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...Id_165651#dtab




"Having bought an ambulance to convert into a camper, I had lots of stickers to remove. I removed them all, but there was lot's of sticky residue left. I tried all the remedies suggested by friends in the trade and nothing worked. I then tried Sticky Stuff Remover and it 'did what it said on the tin'. It was still hard work, but this stuff does soften the residue which then allows you to remove it with a suitable scraper."
Would this work with Hypalon glue too?
__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2010, 15:23   #7
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,924
RIBase
This has to be a first on Ribnet...

A thread dedicated to REMOVING duct tape from an Avon.


__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2010, 15:31   #8
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
This has to be a first on Ribnet...

A thread dedicated to REMOVING duct tape from an Avon.


I know, it sounds Irish doesn't it
__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2010, 17:45   #9
Member
 
lakelandterrier's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,126
There's nothing wrong with my tubes - or is that what the Mrs T told me!!!

Thanks for the tips guys, I just don't want to rub in anything that will leave a mark....or is that what I told Mrs T?

LT
__________________
lakelandterrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2010, 17:59   #10
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
Would this work with Hypalon glue too?
I doubt it, you need acetone and what I call rubber cheese, I think Henshaws sell it, its crepe. Shoe soles I think?
__________________

__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.