Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 20 April 2017, 03:10   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Crowthorne
Boat name: Easy Tiger
Make: Ribeye
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercury 200hp
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 25
Fuel leak - under deck tank

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for sorting out a leak from an under deck fuel tank on a Ribeye S-785? I have ruled out the usual issues of sender unit and pipework so I conclude it is a tank leak. We are sticking a camera into the bilges to see if we can identify the problem and will also be pressure testing the tank and lines. I fear it is a 'tank out' solution and wondered if anyone has experience of this and the associated costs - we are currently getting quotes, too.

Thanks
__________________

__________________
Andy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2017, 04:33   #2
Member
 
dubrus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,050
Do you have a rear bench?

Last Tango just put a new tank in another ribeye with same problem.

Basically write the tank off under the deck and put one in the rear bench.
__________________

__________________
dubrus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2017, 06:18   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Crowthorne
Boat name: Easy Tiger
Make: Ribeye
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercury 200hp
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrus View Post
Do you have a rear bench?

Last Tango just put a new tank in another ribeye with same problem.

Basically write the tank off under the deck and put one in the rear bench.
Thanks but this will change the balance of the boat and remove most of our storage space. Although costly, I would rather repair or replace the existing one.
__________________
Andy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2017, 06:33   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: ...
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 35
Pressure testing and camera are v wise options. Is it a plastic tank or stainless ? I'm not familiar with your boat but recently had a tank failure on a Delta.
There had been so much fuel leakage it was hand tools only ( spark risk ) outdoors and well vented to take deck off.
Other less serious issues could be 'O' rings on the senders but be very thorough or get it done professionally. Our bilge pump and the cabling was being eroded by fumes so a spark was inevitable at some point in the future.
Good luck with it all. Hopefully it's an easy fix for you.
__________________
Hf500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2017, 06:45   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Crowthorne
Boat name: Easy Tiger
Make: Ribeye
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercury 200hp
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hf500 View Post
Pressure testing and camera are v wise options. Is it a plastic tank or stainless ? I'm not familiar with your boat but recently had a tank failure on a Delta.
There had been so much fuel leakage it was hand tools only ( spark risk ) outdoors and well vented to take deck off.
Other less serious issues could be 'O' rings on the senders but be very thorough or get it done professionally. Our bilge pump and the cabling was being eroded by fumes so a spark was inevitable at some point in the future.
Good luck with it all. Hopefully it's an easy fix for you.
Thanks for your response. The 'O' rings on the sender were deformed and leaking so I replaced them but we appear to still have a leak. I am hoping for an easy fix but it looks more and more likely that it will be a deck off job.
__________________
Andy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2017, 07:14   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: ...
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 35
Sounds like you are doing everything right. Is it a recent thing ? If it has been long term , if you have any wood below the deck make sure it hasn't soaked in. I'm sure there will be lots of opinions on them but ...vapour alarms do work even on open ribs ( they will go off as fibreglass sets over 6 weeks or so too )
__________________
Hf500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2017, 07:43   #7
Member
 
dubrus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,050
it doesn't upset the balance of the boat that much btw, it is no different than a passenger or 2 sitting there depending on how much fuel you take.

anyways, i understand the lack of storage issue and be good to fix properly as you suggest.

i can't comment on deck ripping up but i was quoted 2k to move 6 jockey seats 6" backwards and reflowcoat of existing deck, maybe some indication for you.
__________________
dubrus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2017, 18:43   #8
Member
 
gtflash's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,314
I believe crosshouse trailers had a ribeye in their yard the other day, fuel was coming out the bilge drain and it looked like it might turn into a major op. Maybe try PMing them for some guidance on those boats.
__________________
gtflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 01:56   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrus View Post
i can't comment on deck ripping up but i was quoted 2k to move 6 jockey seats 6" backwards and reflowcoat of existing deck, maybe some indication for you.

Sounds like someone is trying to take the piss price wise ......
__________________
69cmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 02:00   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Crowthorne
Boat name: Easy Tiger
Make: Ribeye
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercury 200hp
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
I believe crosshouse trailers had a ribeye in their yard the other day, fuel was coming out the bilge drain and it looked like it might turn into a major op. Maybe try PMing them for some guidance on those boats.
Thanks for the heads up on this, I have just PMd them.
__________________

__________________
Andy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.