RIBnet admin team
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Originally Posted by gtflash

Thios could turn into the hard boat blow up boat thing or we could even steer it into another hard nose soft nose rib debate!!! wind em up boys
Nah, just saying I'll take my rib into conditions I wouldn't take a hardboat into-and I'll go faster than I would in a hardboat in similar conditions. Horses for courses-if I wanted to stay out for a weekend I'd buy another 17-19' cabin cruiser or the like.

I had a dory, a microplus and a speedboat before the SR4 and I'd far rather be out in the SR4 when it gets shitty-even though the others were substantially bigger.
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2006, 03:04   #12
Trade member
Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Originally Posted by Nos4r2
Johnny Fuller posted a vid of what happens when your stern gets flipped up in the air by a wave-far more likely to happen in a following sea...

Having stuffed my sr4 at 20 knots trying to go too fast in a following sea I'm not in a great hurry to do it again. If we'd been in a hardboat there would have been search parties out for us.
Just for the record (and I was there navigating in a Phantom 18 in the same race) whaty happened in that clip had nothing at all to do with a following sea, I have been there and got the very wet T shirt on a seperate occasion, and it is speed that does that, and it doesn't matter which way you're going.

A stuff that one would experience in leisure boating is much more influenced by the direction of the waves and the shape of them, unfortunately because of the different wave lengths and boat lengths, there is (IMHO) no magic solution for avoiding this as every situation is totally unique, you can only apply general rules and learn from experience!

Rob Mcarthy and my navigator Graham Lawton were racing a Bernico around the IOW a few years ago and despite deciding they didn't want to go on, the Needles was that nasty - turning around and returning to Cowes downwind was worse than going all the way round!
Originally Posted by Zippy
When a boat looks that good who needs tubes!!!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote