Old 16 May 2018, 18:54   #1

Length: 7m +
Fishing from a rib

Hi all,

So I’m not getting enough use from the rib as life with ‘tweenagers’ is getting in the way. (And working to afford them).
Dare I say the daughter has even stated that she doesn’t like boats! I need to have a word with the milk man as she can’t be mine...

So to justify its continued ownership I am considering turning to fishing and inviting pals along for the odd day. I used to love catching a string of Mackerel from the yacht I had pre kids.

The problem is, I’ve never been comfortable with the idea of fishing from a rib.

I guess it’s the thoughts of hooks and inflatable tubes.

I suppose the nice stable platform is a bonus though if sitting at anchor for extended periods.

What’s your thoughts? Am I being unduly concerned?

Are there any tips from those that have been there and done that?
Old 16 May 2018, 19:15   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Never had problems from ribs or Sib'S just make your pals aware and keep the rod up and swing the fish toward them always helps if two get fish in go for it
Old 16 May 2018, 19:18   #3

Town: Salcombe
Boat name: The Black Pig
Make: Ranieri
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60c hp tohatsu
MMSI: 235038018
Send a message via AIM to The Black Pig
Hand lining is more controllable and enjoyable with three feathers rather than the ubiquitous six or seven with a pre made rig, just cut them off and re do, you can lower your catch in a bucket if you get lucky

In all that confusion I kinda forgot if I rigged six feathers or only five.....
Old 16 May 2018, 20:56   #4

Boat name: Bluefin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Mine is used just for fishing ........... being retired, I was getting fed up with launching and retrieving traditional fishing boats, so 2years ago I decided to try a RIB to see if it would work for me ............ it has been so successful that I am ordering a new Zodiac 550 for next season .... I cannot ever see me going back to a traditional fishing boat (Merry Fisher, Arvor, Warrior, Pilot, etc, etc,)

The answer is that for inshore fishing it is perfect ...... easy to anchor, very manoeuvrable and responsive, a truly excellent stable platform, and a doddle to launch and retrieve.

I go out about 60 times per year (including winter) and so far (touches wood) hooks and tubes have not been a problem. I even take the grandchildren with me and do not take much in the way of any special precautions regarding hooking the tubes. I taught them to lift the terminal rig over the tubes rather than drag across the tubes. With strings of feathers I usually cut them down to a string of 3 or 4 which makes them more manageable on the RIB (but that is also true of any boat). Also you need to fit plenty of Rod holders to make life easy ……… I have 4 rocket launchers at the back of the drivers bench seat to carry the rods and landing net in a ‘stowed’ position, then I have another 4 stainless steel rodholders (mounted on Stainless grab handles) for fishing (2 on the console and 2 behind the seat). Inshore, (to name a few) we catch Plaice, Mackerel, Tub Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Grey Gurnard, Bass, Flounder, Dabs, Pollock, Coalfish, Ballan Wrasse, Cockoo Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, Garfish, Mullet, Conger, Balck Bream, Gilthead Bream, Smoothounds, and of course the obligatory Dogfish

A good friend has a Ribeye and he uses rubber matting over the tubes when fishing as protection.

The only issue I have had was an incident with a fillet knife and the tube ! ........ the sea had got snotty (nasty wind over tide) and I decided that we should pack up quickly and head back across the bay, which was about 15Nm. As I pushed the tackle bag to the port side with my foot, the knife was unsheathed and immediately punctured the port rear tube section . My wife was with me and to my utmost surprise she didn’t panic at all, she just asked what the plan was ....... I told her we are going back and it will be a rough ride as the boat will need to on the plane to keep the tube almost out of the water .......... Yes, it was a little bumpy but tolerable and the RIB quite happily took us back to the slip ........ My wife (bless her) decided to ride on the bow seat to help the fore / aft balance so she took a bit of a pounding when we slammed, but my 50 years of boat experience allowed me to have full control by continually using the throttle to gain comfort and standup driving to make the best of the sea state. We probably did a good more than 15Nm as I took a zigzag course to try and keep us at 45 degrees to the waves (some of which were white topping) The tube was repaired by Tilley inflatables who considered it to be just a minor repair.
Old 16 May 2018, 21:27   #5

Thanks all, it looks like I might be over cautious and in reality just need to be careful. Although I like the idea of a rubber mat over the tube when landing a catch. I also take your comments about reducing the number of feathers. I remember them getting well and truly knotted when I was lucky enough to have six fish on at once. I think I ended up throwing them away.
Old 17 May 2018, 05:56   #6

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
no one going to mention the bit about the tubes being covered in blood and fish snot after a day Mackie bashing lol. oh and I have one of them large floppy builders tubs and lower fish into it before trying to take the hooks out
Old 17 May 2018, 06:46   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Fishing from a rib

Been fishing off RIBs for 30 years no problem. I use boat rods around the 8' length, these are long enough to swing a catch into the boat & clear the tubes. I gut & head the fish at sea & hang them over the side in a net bag.
As Beerbelly says, the biggest problem is blood, snot & sh1t. We have a bucket on board & a very soft scrubbing brush, wash the tubes off before the crap dries on. Treating the tubes with 303 makes them much easier to clean.
Please only catch what you can eat, don't throw owt away, or discard fishing line over the side[emoji106]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 08:12   #8

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Engine: Yam 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsguru View Post
As I pushed the tackle bag to the port side with my foot, the knife was unsheathed and immediately punctured the port rear tube section . My wife was with me and to my utmost surprise she didn’t panic at all, she just asked what the plan was
Clamseal

Have on on board, never had to try it though.
Old 17 May 2018, 09:54   #9

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Use mine for fishing and spearing, game fish, toothy fish, spiney lobsters etc. We cast big lures with razor sharp hooks for wahoo and other cranky fish, I don't worry about most sharks but I try to avoid makos as they've done lots of damage to my previous glass boats. It's pretty hard to get a hook stuck in a rib, even big hooks ( I've never managed to ).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0521.JPG
Views:	456
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	124777   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0933.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	124778   Click image for larger version

Name:	_JDP3976.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	124779   Click image for larger version

Name:	_JDP4180.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	124780   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0688.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	124781  

Old 17 May 2018, 16:09   #10

Town: London
Boat name: OCHI II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 800
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225hp Suzuki OB
I have a Zodiac pro open 550. They sit back on the tubes, making it slowish as Ribs go, but a super safe and stable platform to fish from. I take my young kids out fishing in the Solent and also in the summer in Ireland in the Shannon Estuary mostly Mackeral, Pollack etc and the odd flat fish. I have not gone for shark (there are plenty of Blue's there) this requires gaff hooks etc and that I would feel uncomfortable with on the RIB, when trying to get the hook behind the gills to bring them onboard etc etc to remove hook and then back them back into the water, so for big stuff like this, I would avoid, but for general inshore fishing it is a super stable platform. I had a much bigger 25ft Bayliner Trophy before which was heavy and loads of deck space etc, but for its speed etc I would have the RIB every day. Go for it I say. Hope that helps.
Old 17 May 2018, 16:18   #11

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 suzuki
Jonp now that's fishing.... Christ knows how you would haul a marlin on board?

My fishing keep it simple, small rod strapped to the A frame, three lures for mackerel at a time, big flexi garden bucket, priest and corks for the hooks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160817_153040831.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	124783   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170601_191239731_HDR.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	124784  
Old 18 May 2018, 08:59   #12

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Been fishing off RIBs for 30 years no problem. I use boat rods around the 8' length, these are long enough to swing a catch into the boat & clear the tubes. I gut & head the fish at sea & hang them over the side in a net bag.
As Beerbelly says, the biggest problem is blood, snot & sh1t. We have a bucket on board & a very soft scrubbing brush, wash the tubes off before the crap dries on. Treating the tubes with 303 makes them much easier to clean.
Please only catch what you can eat, don't throw owt away, or discard fishing line over the side[emoji106]
Large car washing sponge on a bit of cord so you can drop it over the side without losing it & an old bath towel - the latter for hand drying.
You can remove the b,s&s from your hands & if you wipe it off the boat straightaway it saves dealing with it when it's dried on.
Old 18 May 2018, 09:26   #13

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTURNER View Post
I have a Zodiac pro open 550. They sit back on the tubes, making it slowish as Ribs go, but a super safe and stable platform to fish from. I take my young kids out fishing in the Solent and also in the summer in Ireland in the Shannon Estuary mostly Mackeral, Pollack etc and the odd flat fish. I have not gone for shark (there are plenty of Blue's there) this requires gaff hooks etc and that I would feel uncomfortable with on the RIB, when trying to get the hook behind the gills to bring them onboard etc etc to remove hook and then back them back into the water, so for big stuff like this, I would avoid, but for general inshore fishing it is a super stable platform. I had a much bigger 25ft Bayliner Trophy before which was heavy and loads of deck space etc, but for its speed etc I would have the RIB every day. Go for it I say. Hope that helps.
No need to bring a shark on board & you may run into a fish that is too big.
Recent incident in Cornwall on a commercial boat which brought a porbeagle up in a net & crewmember got bitten.
Moment Cornwall shark attack victim is airlifted to hospital after he was bitten on the leg | Daily Mail Online
Fish barbless with circle hooks to avoid deep hooking & use a release stick - longer version of a 'T' bar - to remove the hook.

Tags
rib