Yes, that is quicker
So this afternoon guess what............ yep more rot and frankly shoddy build quality. The actual hull laminate is very good and has quite heavy scantlings however everything else is poor at best, and there are some major design flaws with the fit-out work. (all of this I knew before I purchased the rib) I have no doubt at all by the time I have finished I will have the best Ocean rib out there
So to work, the one part of the bulkhead that I thought wasn't rotten turned out to be ..... well..... rotten !! once I braced the bottom of the hull I cut it out.
The new bulkhead that I am going to make tomorrow is considerably thicker than the original plywood so that does have some other implications. Not entirely sure of their exact name so I will call them the "side tube supports" well they are not long enough so first of all I need to extend them, only by 25mm but its still a job that needs doing.
Not sure how many people are interested in some GRP techniques or ideas so sorry if I am waffling on bit.
So Hot glue some 3mm MDF to create the temporary former and cover with vac bag high temp flashing tape, cut 4 x 25mm strips of 600g csm and 2 x 80mm strips of the same mat. Lay the 4 thinner strips as a "bandage" on a spare bit of cardboard and then peel off to apply to the job creating the "extension of the side tube supports. Then the same but with the 2 wider strips but use this to attach the pervious laminate to the original structure. Consolidate the whole laminate as one and leave to go off. In the morning I will remove the temporary mould, dress the other side with a thin laminate and trim the edge to suit. Then I can get on with making and fitting the new bulkhead