Old 09 March 2016, 08:07   #1

Length: 7m +
Engine servicing costs?

Trying to find someone to do a full service on my Honda BF90D including a printout of engine diagnostics,hours etc. I would need a mobile mechanic to do the work at the WPNSA in Portland. I had a quote from Golden arrow marine in Poole which was £528.64 + vat and 2 hours at £65 +vat for travel expenses.

I just think this is far too much money. Not only the service cost but £156 for travel!!! from Poole to Weymouth!

I just got my Pick up serviced for £289 and they service the whole truck not just the engine.

What are peoples thoughts and opinions on this price? Any better ideas? Places?

Old 09 March 2016, 08:37   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Just to play devils advocate, comparing vehicle servicing to outboard servicing is a non-starter, boats are in an economic league of their own. E.g. You can buy a decent brand new car for the cost of an outboard, & it will come with a cabin, 4 wheels & a radio😏 Re. The travel costs, his time is time, regardless of what he's doing, he could argue that travelling is more expensive than time spent " on the job" after all, he's got fuel & vehicle costs to factor in. You want him to come to you so you pay for the service, you could always save yourself £165 & take the boat to him😄
Nobody ever said that boating was cheap.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 March 2016, 09:43   #3

Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Just to play devils advocate, comparing vehicle servicing to outboard servicing is a non-starter, boats are in an economic league of their own. E.g. You can buy a decent brand new car for the cost of an outboard, & it will come with a cabin, 4 wheels & a radio😏 Re. The travel costs, his time is time, regardless of what he's doing, he could argue that travelling is more expensive than time spent " on the job" after all, he's got fuel & vehicle costs to factor in. You want him to come to you so you pay for the service, you could always save yourself £165 & take the boat to him😄
Nobody ever said that boating was cheap.
Yeah i know just letting off a bit of steam really. Just think they take the michael, just because we have a boat doesn't mean we are millionaires
I was interested to see if any one had any suggestions of people or outfits to consider and their experiences of costs etc.
Old 09 March 2016, 11:09   #4

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
I had the same last summer for my 20 hr service. By a year old, and due another service, it was still only at 25 hours. I have decided to skip the one year and go on the anniversary of the 20 hour instead (it was a crap year weather wise last year hence the low hours). My car costs half as much and does 18-20 months between services!

Captive market I guess.

Phil M
Old 09 March 2016, 11:09   #5

Town: Poole
Boat name: Blue Ocean
Make: Ribeye 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 115
It is a lot and there are certainly cheaper people around but I can recommend the guys at golden arrow in Poole. They have worked on my boat. I have gone with cheaper before but you do get what you pay for.
Old 09 March 2016, 13:49   #6

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Do it yourself? I paid about £120 from memory for plugs, engine/gear oil and gear oil pump, fuel/ oil filter and impeller for a mariner 90 4str. Wasn't too tricky. You could drop into a marine mechanics with boat and get a readout for an hours labour. Save your self nearly £400 👍
Old 09 March 2016, 14:07   #7

be careful skipping either the year or hours if in warranty!!!!

check your warranty conditions for when things need done or it may come back to bite you.
Old 09 March 2016, 20:17   #8

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Outboard dealers often go by the hours the manufacturer states it should take to do a service rather than what it really takes, which is normally half that time.

I chose not to go through my Yamaha dealer on my new Yamaha and use an independent mobile outboard mechanic who has a far better reputation than any of my local authorised dealers.

By doing this I've voided my 6 year warranty but at the same time cut my service costs down to 1/4. Just like the Honda 4 stroke I have great faith in my motor as do the companies giving them 6 year warranties over here which is why I'm willing to risk any major problems.

I also clock around 400 hrs per year which equates to 4 services making my savings more worth while.

By the way I owned a Honda 90 which I sold with over 3000 hrs of faultless use apart from once getting water in the fuel which wouldn't be covered under warranty anyway.

Jon
Old 09 March 2016, 20:22   #9

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Just to add most decent mobile mechanics don't mind you watching to see how to do it yourself or if you just want to learne how to do a part service like oil and filter. Things like impellers and checking all the anodes on the power head Etc I would rather leave to the mechanic.

Jon
Old 09 March 2016, 20:38   #10

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
That sounds like a lot! Close to £800. Shop around. A small one man band will be considerably cheaper than Golden Arrow who have workshops, staff wages etc to pay for. I just paid £55+vat for a diagnostic printout at my local Yamaha dealer, so that shouldn't really add much. If you are a competent DIYer then doing it your self is very feasible. You'll save lots of money, know its all been done, and learn lots about your engine in the process.