Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 10 May 2012, 17:15   #31
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,693
I'm lost.... Who's the "TB" then ?

At least you know the engines not been cooked though. Did you ask to see the invoice for the repair work that he claimed was carried out, causing the delay ? That would have been interesting

How much more was he prepared to mug you off for ?

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
__________________

__________________
Boats&Outboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2012, 17:19   #32
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: no boat
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 119
Hi Peter

Yep I asked for that but funny old thing the story changed there and then - new version was impeller was fine and only the battery terminal had come loose! Wait till he sees my feedback Im going to leave for him. Talk about "BS"!

As you say at least motors not been cooked. Ran it up and let it idle for 5 mins. Sweet as a sweet thing.

He had been offered 1500 more!
__________________

__________________
CornishAvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2012, 17:28   #33
Member
 
TomKat's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Bangor
Boat name: Lencraft 4.8m
Make: Lencraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: DT55HP Suzuki
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 469
1500 is a lot more, I think most folks could live with the negative feedback!
__________________
TomKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2012, 17:32   #34
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: no boat
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 119
Fine agreed its more money and if that sits well with you stiffing the guy who used ebay the way it was designed then go ahead. I believe if he wanted more then use the reserve system - I would have paid more for it and left him positive feedback! I think a neg on only 40 sales would hurt but thats only my opinion.

Come to think of it - you didnt own a lovely ex fisheries searider did you ;-)
__________________
CornishAvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2012, 17:33   #35
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,693
Quite a significant amount then. On one hand you could argue that if he didn't have the offer he wouldn't have had the temptation, don't get me wrong he should have honoured the selling price or used a reserve/buy now etc but if somebody had emailed him saying ill give you 1500 more if you sell to me instead it gives him something to think on. If they had just said I'll buy it if it falls through he'd have had no incentive to even contemplate pulling out.

The other "buyer" could have placed his bid to win it fair and square in the first place ? Just shows its a tough old world!

In this situation I have emailed sellers of boats that went before I spotted them but I only offer the same price should it fall through so there's no temptation for them to start some kind of Dutch auction. I have offered to pay 50 just to get first refusal if the buyer pulls out but I'd not offer more to break the original commitment. If the original buyer takes it I lose my 50, chance I take.

Still it worked out in the end for you. Why not sell it to the other guy for the 1,500 more he originally offered

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
__________________
Boats&Outboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2012, 17:39   #36
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: no boat
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards
Quite a significant amount then. On one hand you could argue that if he didn't have the offer he wouldn't have had the temptation, don't get me wrong he should have honoured the selling price or used a reserve/buy now etc but if somebody had emailed him saying ill give you 1500 more if you sell to me instead it gives him something to think on. If they had just said I'll buy it if it falls through he'd have had no incentive to even contemplate pulling out.

The other "buyer" could have placed his bid to win it fair and square in the first place ? Just shows its a tough old world!

In this situation I have emailed sellers of boats that went before I spotted them but I only offer the same price should it fall through so there's no temptation for them to start some kind of Dutch auction. I have offered to pay 50 just to get first refusal if the buyer pulls out but I'd not offer more to break the original commitment. If the original buyer takes it I lose my 50, chance I take.

Still it worked out in the end for you. Why not sell it to the other guy for the 1,500 more he originally offered

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
A much more mature and honest way of doing business for sure.

I understand the temptation and as Tomkat correctly pointed out 1500 is a lot more - just don't like being lied too - took the shine off my new purchase but I will get over it. And after all as Tomkat said im sure he will live with his negative feedback - but why does he have too? I would have paid more and left him positive feedback!

Im not getting beat up over this - I'm happy - got the boat at a price lower than I was prepared to pay and will just move on.

Thanks guys
__________________
CornishAvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2012, 17:46   #37
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,279
Thanks for rounding off the story Cornish. I've made contact after auctions a few times over the years but like Peter just say if the sale falls through I'll buy at the price.

Do you know I'd not attach any bad feeling to this deal by giving a neg... you got the boat you wanted and it sounds like it was less than you bid so it's all good. It's the seller that's "lost" in the end after forum help.
__________________
Fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2012, 17:49   #38
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: no boat
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander
Thanks for rounding off the story Cornish. I've made contact after auctions a few times over the years but like Peter just say if the sale falls through I'll buy at the price.

Do you know I'd not attach any bad feeling to this deal by giving a neg... you got the boat you wanted and it sounds like it was less than you bid so it's all good. It's the seller that's "lost" in the end after forum help.
Fenlander

You're absolutely right and well said. On that advice I probably wont bother leaving any feedback. Im just going get in the water as soon as I can and start enjoying the new toy.

See you out on the water hopefully
__________________
CornishAvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2012, 18:48   #39
Dhf
Member
 
Dhf's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,012
Good to hear it all worked out well, And your certainly right, Not let any bygone issues eat you up with bitterness, You can just concentrate now on having great safe fun, I only commented earlier because I had a similar thing happen to me with a vehicle, Won the bid fair and square, tryed contacting for pick up...no replies...then presto, Guy phones me saying his father had sold it that afternoon, not knowing son had listed on the bay,
No worries because a week later a much better vehicle came along, I call it fate, Never did leave feedback.
Have fun.
__________________
Dhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2012, 22:35   #40
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
I recently left neutral feedback on a car I bought, it was meant to have been well serviced looked after etc and he was selling it n behalf of his friend who had maintained it.
Anyway, I got a shitty email saying I wouldn't I wouldn't have said them things to him face to face and its nothing to do with him. I explained to the seller I wasn't willing to travel back to Bristol to see him but if he wanted he was more than welcome to visit me and if he fancied he could stay and make a weekend of it, needless to say I haven't heard anything else from him!
__________________

__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.