Old 22 June 2012, 13:02   #81

Town: Douglas
Length: no boat
Boatmad website confirms that they are en-route to Swansea for to-morrow morning's meeting with the kids and the charities, which I understand is their main priority throughout the trip.

Old 22 June 2012, 13:03   #82

Town: southampton
Length: 4m +
Just got off the phone with Cookee and Kitten, and they've asked me to let people know that a decision to abandon todayís leg was taken due to the weather and sea state.

After sticking the nose out of Newlyn Harbour this morning it was decided that there was no point in risking life and equipment at this early point in the challenge, this coupled with the fact that the winner of the forth chair was a no show, no pay!
The decision was taken to meet up with the support crew at Plymouth and trailer the boat to the start of the next leg.
Iím sure when John is able he will be along to give the full story on todayís events.

The second hard decision to make today was how long to leave you lot to your imaginations

Old 22 June 2012, 13:05   #83
SR4

Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Mercury 50hp
Thanks, a mate of mine is ona leg and in his car en route to Portsmouth, he left thinking the trip had been abandoned, I just called him to say it seems all is well, just a bit of confusion around the wording of 'around Britain', but as you say the charity side is the important bit
Old 22 June 2012, 13:08   #84
SR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
Just got off the phone with Cookee and Kitten, and they've asked me to let people know that a decision to abandon todayís leg was taken due to the weather and sea state.

After sticking the nose out of Newlyn Harbour this morning it was decided that there was no point in risking life and equipment at this early point in the challenge, this coupled with the fact that the winner of the forth chair was a no show, no pay!
The decision was taken to meet up with the support crew at Plymouth and trailer the boat to the start of the next leg.
Iím sure when John is able he will be along to give the full story on todayís events.

The second hard decision to make today was how long to leave you lot to your imaginations
Well that all makes more sense, an update would have been nice, but as you said it got the imaginations going from being nicked to someone off for a dirty weekend with the tracker in their bag

Thanks, will update my mate
Old 22 June 2012, 13:11   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR4 View Post
Well that all makes more sense, an update would have been nice
I think it's been a bit of a hectic day!
Old 22 June 2012, 13:14   #86
SR4

Looks that way, at least plan B is keeping them on track for others to enjoy their trip and not letting those from the charities down
Old 22 June 2012, 13:16   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR4 View Post
Looks that way, at least plan B is keeping them on track for others to enjoy their trip and not letting those from the charities down
Always good to have a plan B
Old 22 June 2012, 13:21   #88
SR4

I don't mean to be nosey, but WTF is towing it up the M5?
Old 23 June 2012, 05:04   #89

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
The short version of yesterday is that Lands End was very big indeed and there was no way we could think of getting round in a force 7 gusting 8 -. We made the decision to meet our tow vehicle (thanks Kitten and Nick) at QAB Plymouth 70 miles from Newlyn and tow the boat to Swansea. Since then we have been trying to sort out a safe way of getting to Douglas but it just isn't going to happen with winds up to 30 knots so we are trailering up the motorway. We are considering launching tomorrow morning somewhere up North so that we can try to arrive by water in Troon so if anyone has a good idea for launch spots let us know!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2012, 06:16   #90

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Hi Cookee. Welcome to the real world of Offshore Boating. Now you know why we build the types of boat we use so we can goo to sea in the sort of conditions that are stopping you. I must say, you are not lucky with the weather and it doesnt look like its goingto get much better. Alan P