Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 11 August 2013, 07:15   #1

Don't know which way to turn ?

Hi
We are new to ribs and the forum, I have had a trailable sports cruiser for about 8 years now but are actually changing it for a rib.

We have a choice (with a dealer that will take our boat in) of the following:-

Avon 560 with Honda 150

Tornado 585 with a 115 Mercury

Humber Destroyer 5.5 with 90hp Mariner Optimax

We love the layout of the Avon for our use but just been reading a thread that puts us off really.

I would welcome any help or advise from you guys, we won't be dashing across the channel but exploring estuaries and venues like Cardigan Bay and the Scottish Islands.
Old 11 August 2013, 07:27   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Welcome to Ribnet

Regardless of what I think of the Avon 560,I don't think it's rated to fit a 150hp on which could mean strutural issues. Check the maximum HP rating.

I suspect one of the others would be a better bet, but it's down to condition.

What's the Mercury on the Tornado? 4 stroke or Optimax? Has the Tornado been retubed?

What conditon is the Humber?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2013, 07:32   #3

Length: 3m +
No of people? Seating on the 3 boats?
Are you diving or anthing like that that involves carrying extra kit?
Old 11 August 2013, 07:43   #4

Hi
The dealer said it was a 150hp on the phone but i've looked at a picture and it seems to be a 115 does that sound more realistic?
Old 11 August 2013, 07:45   #5

We normally have a max of two couples and maybe a couple of kids with us,

seating wise the avon has a bench at the back and two seats on the front of the console. Both the Tornado and the humber have a single console seat and two rear jockey seats.
Old 11 August 2013, 07:53   #6

Trying to send a picture for you to check
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	83972  
Old 11 August 2013, 08:13   #7

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
All three have pros and cons. Bottom line in my book is;

Initial cost to purchase
Running costs - service and fuel use
Seating / lay up for your planned use
Towing - weight V towing vehicle and launch sites
Storage - space, movability, length etc

First look of love - once viewed which did you look at and think MINE?

I'd happily have all three but none of them tick my questions above.

Which dealer and are there pics on their web site?

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2013, 08:45   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
All 3 boats would do what you want, but some might let you do it more comfortably and/or in a wider range of conditions. All boats are a compromise.
Old 11 August 2013, 08:52   #9

Hi Fellars
the boats are on the JBT site, www.ribsforsale.co.uk the avon is not the actual one though, thats been sold already.
Old 11 August 2013, 09:35   #10

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
It's very easy to get impatient and loose out in the long run, what boat have you got at the moment and what is it worth?
Old 11 August 2013, 09:35   #11

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by picky View Post
Trying to send a picture for you to check
Dude that's a 115
Old 11 August 2013, 09:55   #12

Town: Plymouth
Regardless of the threads you read make your own choice, based on your needs. You could be put off any boat if you read enough threads on here. I'm not saying disregard the opinions, just factor them into your requirements.

The 560 sounds a decent package, dependant on price.

You'll be in a stronger position selling yours privately, as it'll open up your buying market, although I can understand why you may choose the simpler trade-in. JBT have an excellent reputation and plenty of Ribs to choose from. If they don't have exactly what your after, wait! They will get it.

Whatever way you go, Enjoy!

www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk
Old 11 August 2013, 10:01   #13
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
It may just be the angle of the photo but the rear jockies on the Humber look very close. If you are planning to use for longer trips in choppy water you might want to check you can actually comfortably fit people on them.

I think if you plan to use the boat with 2 people on board a lot - then the side by side console arrangement may make a big difference to how much your number 1 crew (e.g. wife) feels she's part of the trip or just a pillion passenger. That might have a big impact on how much you actually use the boat. There are ways of sorting out comms between the two (as you might on a bike) but its not really family boating.

Bench seats do work well with families (but beware not all benches are the same and some can feel quite vulnerable). Seats on the front of consoles are known as "Suicide Seats" and essentially are not usable at speed.
Old 11 August 2013, 10:15   #14
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
You've got a big advantage in that JBT have a drystack there, so you should be able to sea trial them all and see which you prefer.

Try not to trial them on a flat calm day.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2013, 10:16   #15

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
So what about this one - http://www.rib.net/forum/f21/avon-62...age-57278.html

It's only a few Centimeters longer

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2013, 11:54   #16

avon 560 adventure

picky, i own an adventure 560 (it may have been my thread you seen on here?) and have done more miles in it than probably most 560 owners. there is absolutely nothing wrong with the boat. you need to remember it is not a "uk" type rib with a deep V which seems to be the preference for most, which is cool. to try and put this into perspective, in the 3 years or so i've owned this boat there has only been 2/3x i've wanted to come off the plane due to it getting uncomfortable and starting to slam where i use it. on those occasions i've pottered home at 10 knots or so. most times you can trim/thro control to make it as comfortable as possible-just like any boat.

my adventure has been reliable, stable and very dry boat in any conditions i've had to encounter on the west coast up here. the only other rib i have been on other than mine was a northcraft 6.5m so i'm not in a position to compare it against anything else if you want to hear that.

i'm going to sell my 560 soon but it is only to get something bigger, nothing to do with with the boat itself. if you find an adventure you like then go try it, if it is not for you, move on and try something else.

lastly-welcome to went from cabin to rib club, you won't go back!

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SNB10202.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	84004  
Old 11 August 2013, 15:47   #17

Town: Thame
Boat name: Free-Flow
Make: Shearwater 6.8
Engine: Suzuki 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
picky, i own an adventure 560 (it may have been my thread you seen on here?) and have done more miles in it than probably most 560 owners. there is absolutely nothing wrong with the boat. you need to remember it is not a "uk" type rib with a deep V which seems to be the preference for most, which is cool. to try and put this into perspective, in the 3 years or so i've owned this boat there has only been 2/3x i've wanted to come off the plane due to it getting uncomfortable and starting to slam where i use it. on those occasions i've pottered home at 10 knots or so. most times you can trim/thro control to make it as comfortable as possible-just like any boat.

my adventure has been reliable, stable and very dry boat in any conditions i've had to encounter on the west coast up here. the only other rib i have been on other than mine was a northcraft 6.5m so i'm not in a position to compare it against anything else if you want to hear that.

i'm going to sell my 560 soon but it is only to get something bigger, nothing to do with with the boat itself. if you find an adventure you like then go try it, if it is not for you, move on and try something else.

lastly-welcome to went from cabin to rib club, you won't go back!

cheers
+1

I too have an Adventure 560 (2000 vintage) with a Yam F100 on it. I have to say I am very pleased with it, although I do not have much to compare it with as it is my first rib. I have had it up to 43 knots with two of us on board, and it felt stable and in control. I have had it out in some quite rough stuff, and while as has been noted it is not as deep 'V' as some, I have hardly ever had to come off the plane, and most times you can keep up 20 knots+

You seem to get more room in a 560 than most other ribs that length. I have two bench seats. This works well, although the purists will tell you the helm should always have a jockey seat. This may be so for extreme ribbing, but I have not felt unsafe so far. Having said this, if I was buying again, I would probably go for front jockeys. I have the obligatory suicide seats, and a bow seat. As Whisper said, these are lively at high speed!

The 620 in your thread looked to have a lot of wasted space behind the jockeys. it looks like you could get an extra bench in there easily!

You will have fun, whichever one you choose.
Old 11 August 2013, 17:25   #18

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Cinsirrah III
Make: Oceans
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin D3 160 Diesels
MMSI: 235089712
Picky. With reference to JBT the team are really helpful and will give you a great service. Can't recommend them highly enough. No connection just a happy customer.
Old 12 August 2013, 11:15   #19

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
You've got a big advantage in that JBT have a drystack there, so you should be able to sea trial them all and see which you prefer.

Try not to trial them on a flat calm day.
+1

Having done a couple of trips where Xk59D has been about I can confirm he does a shedload of miles (not that I'm jealous or owt! ) in the lumpy stuff.

Also to add to Nos' "go trial them" comments, my boat is plated for 9. It has a 2 man Jockey seat. (as per "paper" spec) In reality it seats one comfortably. I can confirm that having been the pillion while someone else was driving......

Other thing to take into account is that if you have a family aboard, chances are you won't be heading out if the Wx is predicted as "yuk & then some", so is the deep V thing really a big problem for your predicted use? Shallower V will be slightly lighter on fuel.....

To use the old addage - One man's meat is the next man's poison.....